PDA

View Full Version : Little Pigeon float

milligan trout degree
05-24-2011, 07:29 AM
My cousin and I floated the little pigeon on saturday. We put in at the Hardees and floated down to boyds creek bridge. Fishing was slow overall, but we managed a few fish each. The biggest being right at three pounds. Most fish have moved off the beds, but we did see a total of three fish on beds and two of those were working the same bed. Probably male and female. I was fly fishing, while my cousin was spinfishing. I caught all my smallies on a white zonker, and caught two white bass and one bluegill on a olive wooly bugger. Also threw clousers, wiggle minnows, and rabbit leeches in white and olive. I've never caught a white bass from the little pigeon before, but we caught a total of five. We caught them down low so I'm guessing they had run up to spawn. When we would find them, there would be a ton in the hole and you could have probably caught them all day. They would all charge out at once and attack your lure. Anyway, we didn't wear them out, but we caught enough to keep our interest.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/taylorbenjamin8/227368_522377351070_162900801_30673863_6524242_s.j pg
(http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/taylorbenjamin8/)

No Hackle
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
How long did it take you float that section. Sounds like you had a good day. I usually catch some whites in the fall. That river never lets me down. Pretty cool.
Lynn

Troutman
05-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Thats a nice long post spawn female. Most of them have returned to the French Broad now but I've seen a few still on the nest in a few places.

Bran
05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
So are there any effects, that you saw, from the sewage spill that are still evident?

milligan trout degree
05-26-2011, 07:17 PM
It took us between 7 and 8 hours to fish it. Keep in mind that we were fishing in no particular hurry as well. We would stop and fish in a few places and just float down with the river in others. I didn't notice any effects from the spill. I usually do better than we did on this float. Perhaps thats a result of the spill or just the day. I don't know.

Bran
05-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Probably just the day, I didn't think there would be any lasting effects that you could see but just wondering.

No Hackle
05-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Bran, I've fished it alot this year and I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Bran
05-27-2011, 10:31 AM
10-4. We're going to be out in a couple of weeks staying out on the spur so I figured to fish it a little down through Gov. Crossing area and below. Just been wondering about it cause I'll be wading.

Troutman
05-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Bran, come by the Pharmacy and see me if you get the chance while your in town. I've got a new style popper for you to try. I tied them at troutfest this year, called a roadkill popper.

Milligan, I would say it was just an off day as well. Could have been barometer changes or just bright sun on Saturday. I usually fish very early or late evening on that river. the mid day sun usually turns them off, so you have to find shady areas or deeper holes. since the golf course took over the island , they cut down a lot of the shade trees along the banks that provided overhead cover and protection. I've had perfect weather days on the river and caught very few fish and other days with overcast or stormy weather and caught trophies.

No Hackle
05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Bran, if your going to wade please wear your waders. Even before the spill I always wore my waders. The city just don't make that river a priority. They go easy the local lodging people, don't exactly make them stay to code.
Lynn

milligan trout degree
05-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Bran, come by the Pharmacy and see me if you get the chance while your in town. I've got a new style popper for you to try. I tied them at troutfest this year, called a roadkill popper.

Milligan, I would say it was just an off day as well. Could have been barometer changes or just bright sun on Saturday. I usually fish very early or late evening on that river. the mid day sun usually turns them off, so you have to find shady areas or deeper holes. since the golf course took over the island , they cut down a lot of the shade trees along the banks that provided overhead cover and protection. I've had perfect weather days on the river and caught very few fish and other days with overcast or stormy weather and caught trophies.

Yeah, if you'll remember, the first three days of last week were pretty cool. Especially at night. The water temp on the report dropped below sixty for a a day or two. Granted we were considerably downstream of that gauge and on another watershed entirely, but it still gives an idea that water temps had changed rather suddenly. It was also very sunny the day we were out. I usually don't do much good below that golf hole island anyway, but we did manage a few fish below that. Only one smallie though.

Bran
05-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Lynn, will do, Gary taught me that the first time I fished it.

Gary, I'll stop by and see you. Do you have an evening you'd like to meet up that week? I'll be out Sat. 11th and leave Fri. 17th headed back home.
I'm open for suggestions but if you have time I thought maybe we could hit the Smallies one evening or go up to Elkmont and try for a Brown if there's time.

No Hackle
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Bran, good deal and if you ever listen to anyone listen yo Gary. He's a good guy and will shoot you straight.
Lynn

Troutman
05-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Bran, I will be off most of that week of June 11th and camping down at Indian boundary the weekend through wed.the 15th. I'm hoping for some cicada action on the lake! I will be back to work on the 16th so I may be able to fish that evening before you leave if you want. You know where to go if we can't meet up this time around. I'll give you a heads up on the conditions via PM on CFF the week prior. topwater has been good but the low water levels are requiring longer leaders , smaller sized poppers and stealthy wading so as not to spook.
I took my daughter out in the boat this weekend on the FB and a little ways up the LP. It was very hot mid day and the bass were not interested but we did find a lot of shad rising to caddis on the surface below a shoal on the FB and had a good time fishing for them with some grey elk hair caddis dry flies. Lots of 14-16" hickory shad rising just like trout. we fished until the generation hit us about 12:30pm before heading home. Shad are considered trash fish but they sure are fun to catch when they are rising like that.

Bran
05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
I had no idea you had a land locked Hickory Shad population there, now that's pretty interesting! There are lots of Fly Fishers along the Eastern parts of VA and NC that look forward to the Hickory and American shad runs each year on the Roanoke, Rappahanock, and Potomac just to name a few. I've never caught one and have wanted to.
I'll look for your PM, or either I think you've got my email still. Hope you have a good trip to Indian boundary!!

Troutman
05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I messed up! It is not hickory shad, Its Skipjack.
they look like baby tarpon.

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/pages/SkipjackHerringTennesseeTarponMeltonHillTailwaterN egus_jpg.htm