PDA

View Full Version : Breathability of Simms G3 waders?

Dawgvet
05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Just thinking of upgrading to the Simms G3 chest waders and was wondering about the breathability of these waders. Do alot of small stream bushwhacking and walking long distances in waders so breathability is of high concern. I have read alot about the legendary durability of Simms waders but want to hear if they trade breathability for durability. Just for reference, I have used Orvis Silver Labels in the past.
Thanks,
Jed Green

MadisonBoats
05-25-2011, 05:06 PM
If you do allot of bushwhacking or freestone fishing; I would look at a pair of the Simms Convertible waders or just the pant waders. I know what you mean about breath-ability in waders.:redface: I hiked in to the gorge area of the Davidson River last week and I thought I was going to sweat to death. I really did not even need waders for this area.

kentuckytroutbum
05-25-2011, 06:36 PM
My wife & I both have Simms G3 chest waders, and we haven't had any leaks in 3 years of hard usage. Our trip to Maine 3 years ago almost ended in disaster when both of our waders (a different brand, not Simms) both started to leak within one day of each other. It was ironic. We decided that we wanted waders that wouldn't leak standing in a cold tailwater river.

Last fall, we had our waders on when we hiked about two miles up the Shenandoah River in Virginia. Yes, it was warm, but we didn't die on the hike up and back.

You could always get a day pack and put your waders & boots in it, and change when you get to where you are going. You'd probably have some food & drinks you want to carry anyway.

Shawn's advice is also valid. It's kinda your choice.

Bill

ChemEAngler
05-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Dawgvet,

Is there a particular reason you are looking at the G3 waders?

Most everybody I know who fishes backcountry just wet wades for the majority of the year with the exception of winter. I have a previous generation of Simms Blackfoot breathable waders that I have been using for 5 years now. I average >25 trips a year to the area tailwaters, and have not had a problem with sweating too much. In addition to that, I have never had a single leak out of them. But I take good care of all my stuff. I store my waders hanging up, and I hang them up immediately after each trip. Plus I was them after about every 4 trips with Revivex.

Personally, it just seems like a bit of overkill for backcountry streams where you could easily tear your waders falling or on a blowdown. I know Simms has a lifetime warranty on workmanship, but I don't know that they will replace them if something like that happens.

tjw37909
05-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I work for smoky mountain angler and we rent g3 waders. (not trying to advertise on LRO's site…just offering help) you can come rent a pair to see what you think. Also the simms headwaters are gore-tex too and cost less. I have a pair of the g3 convertibles and recommend them or a pair of g3 pants or headwaters pants.

GrouseMan77
05-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Plain and simple. Wet wade April through mid-November.

duckypaddler
05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

That sounds like what Frieedie taught me. If it warm enough to fish the park, it's warm enough to wet wade. Save your waders for the tailwaters where it really will make a difference. Plus waders just hold you up when you are trying to climb up rocks with huge steps, and it's just one more thing the "Rhodobeast" can rip & tear.

Just my 2 cents

Rog 1
05-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Couldn't have said it better...been fishing in the park for over 50 years and have never owned a pair of waders....like my grandfather always told me...if you carry it in you got to carry it out and it is always heavier at the end of the day...usually a pair of nylon fishing pants and a pair of wading boots is sufficient.

2weightfavorite
05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I fished over 120 days last year in my g3's. No leaks, no problems. I do not suggest in getting wading pants. In the off chance you fish a tailwater they are useless. Simply roll down your cheest waders and use a belt to make your own pants waders if you need to. I typically destroy waders in about a year, so my hat is off to the folks at simms. Now if only they still made felt sole boots...

Stonefly
05-27-2011, 06:53 AM
So you guys who wet wade, do you use the short "guard socks" as Simms calls them, under your normal boots?

steve

pineman19
05-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Steve,

I use the neoprene wet wading guards, a pair of wool socks underneath those, keeps my feet warm even when the get wet and helps protect your lower ankles etc. I only use waders in the Park in very early spring. I wet waded last November at Elkmont, everyone else was in waders and looking at me like I was nuts:eek: It was a little cool sometimes, but I abhor wearing waders in the Park since I usually hike and fish. Not a good deal in waders IMO.

Neal

Crockett
05-27-2011, 08:39 AM
So you guys who wet wade, do you use the short "guard socks" as Simms calls them, under your normal boots?

steve

Like Grouseman, DP, and Neal I wet wade most of the year in the smokies by choice. Not sure what the simms guard socks are probably some neoprene that fold down over the wading boots to keep rocks out I guess. If thats the case I would say yes to your question Steve. I usually wear a pear of simms neoprene type socks its all you need for warmth. SometimesI will just wear wool socks if I can't find the simms socks.

GrouseMan77
05-27-2011, 01:50 PM

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18527&cat=1100&page=1

This is a link to Chotas version...the Simms version is not in the catalog. Like Pineman said, wear a pair of wool socks ( I like thicker Smartwool), the booties and your wading boots. Your feet will get wet but it's not really a big deal. I usually cover a lot of ground and have never been uncomfortable or gotten any blisters.

Leave the waders for the tailwaters and to those looking for a heat stroke. Be cool don't be a fool!:cool:

Stonefly
05-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. I've always used hippers in the mountain streams, and regular waders in the tailwaters. Picked up a pair of the Simms guard socks today. Now I just need some free time to get wet.

steve