PDA

View Full Version : Tailwater rod/reel setups

rbreedi1
05-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Thought it would be neat to see what kind of rod and reel setups you guys are fishing on the tailwaters. My setup is a 8'6" 5 wt TFO Professional Series paired with an Orvis Access II reel. Just got the new reel recently and I'm really liking it.

fishingman62
05-28-2011, 09:09 PM
i use a 8ft 9 temple fork med action 5wt spooled with an intermediate sinking line 1.5 -2 inches per sec. my reel is just one i bought at gander mountain on sale for $59 not even sure of its name without digging out the box but it has a drag and works great for me...i carry my 5wt floating line in my vest... but fish mostly a fly that i use which doubles as a soft hackle and a streamer... which suits the line great and catches fish .... i have caught trout blugill catfish bass and crappie on the fly ...

ChemEAngler
05-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Thought it would be neat to see what kind of rod and reel setups you guys are fishing on the tailwaters. My setup is a 8'6" 5 wt TFO Professional Series paired with an Orvis Access II reel. Just got the new reel recently and I'm really liking it.

My primary tailwater rig is a 8'6" 5-wt mid flex Orvis Zero Gravity with a Orvis MidArbor reel. Heavy enough to chunk light streamers, nymph rigs, or even larger dries.

My backup rig, or when fishing to spooky fish with tiny dries, is a 9' 4-wt Winston Ascent with an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reel.

waterwolf
05-28-2011, 09:59 PM
9' 4 wt Sage SP
9' 4wt Sage Z-axis

Are the only rods I fish on tailwaters

Reels I either use an Abel #0 or a Sage 2540. Abel on the SP and the 2540 on the Z-Axis.

Both rods are great, the sp is a little softer then the Z, but still is a fine rod. There is not a finer rod on the market then the Z-axis IMO. On the reels, it is a personal preference thing IMO. I personally think the two I fish are as good as money can buy. However, others may like something else.

Trico
05-28-2011, 10:00 PM
My go to rig is a Sage XP 9 foot 5 weight with a Abel Super 4 reel. My wife likes a 9 foot 5 weight Orvis Hellios with a Orvis reel.

MadisonBoats
05-29-2011, 08:20 AM
8'6" 6 wt for launching long casts...:rolleyes: It throws unweighted streamers decently as well...I usually run a 9' leader with 2-3' of tippet at the start for my dry fly fishing. This all changes depending on what I am fishing and on different parts of the river.

David Knapp
05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
7' 6" 3 wt. Legend Ultra, 9' 4 wt. Legend Ultra, or 9' 5 wt. Legend Ultra...I'm partial to the St. Croix LU in case it wasn't clear already although that's largely because I can't afford a Helios... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Maurer
05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
9' 7wt with floating or Class II sinking line (streamers and mice!)
9' 5wt for throwing big nymph rigs
9' 4wt for midge rigs/dry, droppers/ dries (favorite and most used rod)

stuart
05-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I used a Orvis Rocky Mtn 9ft 4wt that is a full flex. The thing will bend into the cork! You talking about able to protect light tippet that rod will. But on the windy days or when I know there is not much of chance of dry fly flinging and I will be chucking heavy nymphs I use a 9ft 5wt Rainshadow that I built a few years ago. That can be a hard river to pick a rod for so much different water and ways to fish.
STU

pineman19
05-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Waterwolf,

I am curious as to why you fish only 4 weights on tailwaters, especially the Clinch since that seems to be your main destination. I have used 4 and 5 weights, but mainly 5 weights on the Clinch, SOHO and Holston.

Neal

9' 4 wt Sage SP
9' 4wt Sage Z-axis

Are the only rods I fish on tailwaters

Reels I either use an Abel #0 or a Sage 2540. Abel on the SP and the 2540 on the Z-Axis.

Both rods are great, the sp is a little softer then the Z, but still is a fine rod. There is not a finer rod on the market then the Z-axis IMO. On the reels, it is a personal preference thing IMO. I personally think the two I fish are as good as money can buy. However, others may like something else.

BIGBR
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I use a Scott S4 9' 5WT, an Abel Super 5N reel, and Orvis Power Taper WF5F line.

tnh2owader
05-31-2011, 08:22 AM
My main set-up is:
9' 5wt Sage Z-axis
Lamson Litespeed reel
Rio Grande WF5F line ( like the 1/2 size up for z-axis)
9' or 12' leader Rio and Seagur tippet
and I fish midges 95% of my time on the water in both Holston & Clinch
I find this set-up works OK for me.
No matter what your set-up, you gotta have confidence in it.
As you can tell from the many great fishermen on this site, nobody seems
to use the exact same set-up as another but all are successful at
the sport.;):smile:

Tyrillius
05-31-2011, 08:29 AM
8-6 4wt sp with abel 0
9-0 3wt sp with abel 0

No relation to waterwolf

But I am looking at a 9 z-axis 5wt not sure what reel to put on it.

JoelO
05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Orvis 9' 5wt T3 with Galvan OB-4 reel. Both are now discontinued models...I think the Orvis Access replaced the T3 and the Galvan Rush replaced the OB line.

I have an 8' Scott 4wt paired with a smaller Galvan OB that I use in the park and Tellico.

One thing I/you'll notice among the replies...most people go with something close to 9' in length on the tailwaters....makes for easier distance casting and line mending.

Rodonthefly
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
My two main rigs this year have been.

9' 4wt Orvis Trident TL with a Lamson LP1.
and a 9' Scott STS 6wt.

Both are fine rods in my book.

waterwolf
08-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Waterwolf,

I am curious as to why you fish only 4 weights on tailwaters, especially the Clinch since that seems to be your main destination. I have used 4 and 5 weights, but mainly 5 weights on the Clinch, SOHO and Holston.

Neal
Sorry pineman, I just saw this. I might be a little late in responding but here goes:biggrin:

I prefer a 4wt for no real reason other then it protects 6x tippet better then a 5wt IMO, and they usually lay a fly line down much softer then a 5wt. That alone makes a huge difference IMO on the Clinch when the water is low and clear.

Personally casting is no different to me on a 4wt versus a 5wt, granted the model and mfg of the rod makes a lot of difference when it comes to this.

I have always fished a 4 wt. for trout, I have several 5 wts but rarely fish them. I have a brand new 5 wt. SLT that has never been fished, literally. It is a nice rod I just haven't used it. I use a 4wt out west as well, even throwing bigger hoppers. If I need to step up to throw big nymphs or a lot of lead, I will grab a 6 wt. to get that extra back bone I need.

pineman19
08-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the input Waterwolf.

Neal

Flat Fly n
08-26-2011, 12:54 PM
9 ft 4wt Loomis Whisper Creek GLX
Lamson Velocity 1.0

I like a full flex rod that will allow me to put more pressure on large fish without worrying about busting a tippet. I don't play around.

Plunker
08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
9' TFO TiCr 5wt
Lamson Konic
Rio Delta Taper (Roll Casts like a dream, and booms with the head out of the guides)

Little beefier for Buggers n stuff

Sorry for the delayed response.

Trico
08-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Earlier in this thread I said I use my 5 weight XP. I now have a new favorite which I think will be great for the tailwaters of Tenn. It is a 9 ft 4 wgt Hardy Zenith. I have a Ross F2 reel on it. For small flies especially dries I have to say I really love my 8 ft. 4 wgt. Winston Tom Morgan Favorite.

Corbo
08-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Well guys; I like to use a 2 weight tip action Orvis Trident with a Hardy ultralite disc drag reel... it may seem I'm a bit under gunned for long casts but I can break a lot of "the rules" with this set-up.... like fishing to rising fish dead up stream.... the line falls so softly.

Only downside is the wind; then still usually go light or switch to a 5 or 6

Good topic

pineman19
08-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Well guys; I like to use a 2 weight tip action Orvis Trident with a Hardy ultralite disc drag reel... it may seem I'm a bit under gunned for long casts but I can break a lot of "the rules" with this set-up.... like fishing to rising fish dead up stream.... the line falls so softly.

Only downside is the wind; then still usually go light or switch to a 5 or 6

Good topic

Corbo,

I have a 2 weight, I can't imagine using it on the tailwaters, especially on the Holston or the Clinch, just doesn't seem like enough rod to handle the bigger fish IMO.

Neal

flyred06
08-28-2011, 08:12 AM
I have and used a 9' 5wt z axis with an abel 3n but have now swapped over to a 8' 6" sage ZXL with able creek series reel. However, I will say this I mostly concentrate to fishing over on the Elk river.

Corbo
08-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Pineman;

It is a shame that we have not fished together as I would be pleased to land a 25 inch brown with a dainty outfit trout if you can put me over one!

When I moved here last year I hoped to fish more than I have been able; now that I'm "physically" better I'm worn out most weekends from week day work as this heat is beating me up.

The Clinch river seems to have poor recreational flows just like the soho.... when do you guys find time to safely fish them????/

Knothead
08-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I have seen that an 8 ft. 5 wt. is a common outfit for Tennessee.

pineman19
08-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Pineman;

It is a shame that we have not fished together as I would be pleased to land a 25 inch brown with a dainty outfit trout if you can put me over one!

When I moved here last year I hoped to fish more than I have been able; now that I'm "physically" better I'm worn out most weekends from week day work as this heat is beating me up.

The Clinch river seems to have poor recreational flows just like the soho.... when do you guys find time to safely fish them????/

Corbo,

I have only fished the Clinch a few seasons, but this year has been much tougher IMO so far to wade fish. Norris Lake reached "full pool" in April this year, pretty much stayed that way until early July, now they are lowering the lake much faster than last year. Seems they will have to back off soon (I hope) or they won't have enough water till the winter rains begins. All that hot weather has surely played a role, same deal on the SOHO imagine. Watch the schedule in the next month, it should get better for wade fishermen.

Neal

Corbo
08-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Pineman;

I haven't been to Nances or below Cherokee for many weeks; hope you are catching over there! If the Soho flows were wadable on weekends I would endure the 2 hour drive each way..... anyone ever want to car pool let me know!

Even though the Park is fairly close I have a hard time getting excited about fishing it.... seems there's always kids splashing about the best pools and six inch fish just don't do it for me.

pineman19
08-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Pineman;

I haven't been to Nances or below Cherokee for many weeks; hope you are catching over there! If the Soho flows were wadable on weekends I would endure the 2 hour drive each way..... anyone ever want to car pool let me know!

Even though the Park is fairly close I have a hard time getting excited about fishing it.... seems there's always kids splashing about the best pools and six inch fish just don't do it for me.

Corbo,

I have grown a little weary of the Park as well. Been fishing it pretty often since 2000, actually caught my first trout on a Panther Martin in the mid 70's at Elkmont when they were still stocking trout, it was a brook trout, I assume northern strain. I was in G-Burg yesterday, had my tackle, couldn't get excited about fishing there, instead I drank beer and BS'd in my fav watering hole down there. I may head to the SOHO next weekend, I'll be 51 next sat., need to get ot and fish for the first time in nearly a month. I am considering moving closer to the Tri-cities, have to do some more research and see if I can transfer to that area. I haven't fished Nances Ferry since May, the water gets kinda warm down there after June IMO.

Neal

Corbo
08-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Pineman

If you want to split the gas expense I would be happy to tag along on a ride to the Soho.

I turned 52 in May; seems the older and more broken down I become the less energy I have to do the things I enjoy most. There were years that I worked well over 40 hours per week managing many employees and multiple jobs but still managed to fish 4 or more times every week.

Maybe I have "LOW- T" ?!?!? LOL

See what happens when I watch TV instead of fishing?

Knothead
08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Corbo, there comes a time that the iron in your blood turns to lead in your pants. Speaking from experience here at almost 64.

pineman19
08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Pineman

If you want to split the gas expense I would be happy to tag along on a ride to the Soho.

I turned 52 in May; seems the older and more broken down I become the less energy I have to do the things I enjoy most. There were years that I worked well over 40 hours per week managing many employees and multiple jobs but still managed to fish 4 or more times every week.

Maybe I have "LOW- T" ?!?!? LOL

See what happens when I watch TV instead of fishing?

Corbo,

I'll let you know if I decide to head to the SOHO. See what the generation will be and I do on my birthday (saturday). I would prefer to go on Sunday, generally seems a little less crowded on Sundays, especially earlier in the day.

Neal

Flat Fly n
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Pineman;

fall when the water turns off,
winter, all the time,
and spring, when it's not raining.....

I like winter the best. you being from ME it will be new but a great time. good hatches on midges on bright sunny days in shallow water.

Corbo
08-31-2011, 06:08 AM
Hey gang;

My cell number 865-255-4840... I can go on Saturday or sundays.

At 52 and after 7 various orthopedic surgeries in just over 4 years I shouldn't be doing construction work; but I do anyway and typically I spend saturday "RECOVERING" LOL. Cold water is very soothing to my leg and lower back.

Haven't fish the Soho since last Fall but think about it several times every day.

bhrt
09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Question for those that use extra long leader / tippet (9' +) on the tailwaters.

Is there a trick to move the connection from fly line to leader through the rod guides?

Seems like I'm constantly dunking my reel to reach the end of the rod to get the loop-to-loop connection "un-stuck". This is especially bad on the last guide at the tip of the rod.

Thanks,

Ryan

pineman19
09-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Question for those that use extra long leader / tippet (9' +) on the tailwaters.

Is there a trick to move the connection from fly line to leader through the rod guides?

Seems like I'm constantly dunking my reel to reach the end of the rod to get the loop-to-loop connection "un-stuck". This is especially bad on the last guide at the tip of the rod.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

Try using a nail knot. If done correctly less prone to getting stuck than a loop connection. You can buy a pretty cheap tool to make the knot or fabricate a cheap device. Just google nail knot and you'll pull up some sites that show how to make the knot.

Neal

waterwolf
09-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanks,

Ryan
Dump the loop, and you will solve your problems. Like pineman said tie nail knots, and keep them small 4-5 wraps and pulled extra tight. I really milk the butt section of a leader with my hand to soften it before tying a nail knot. If you milk the leader and tie the knot well it will slip through the guides with no issues.

Also, try and avoid pulling your line past the nail knot. The only time my nail knot goes into the guides is when reeling up at the end of the day, or if something freakish happens.

Loops are great in theory only, they really negatively effect casting accuracy, and loop control. The loop by nature collapses and kills line energy, and also kicks the leader in undesired directions. IMO it is one of the worst things a person can do to their set up.

bhrt
09-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I guess the fly line with the integrated loop wasn't such a good choice after-all...

Ryan

pineman19
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I guess the fly line with the integrated loop wasn't such a good choice after-all...

Ryan

Ryan,

Just clip the loop off, and do the nail knot as Waterwolf suggested. It isn't a hard knot to do with the knot tool I use. I tie it at home, unless I mess up a leader and need to replace it on the stream.

Neal

kentuckytroutbum
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
The first I do with a new fly line is to cut off the loop. Then as others have said, tie a nail knot or an Albright knot to join the line & leader. A nail knot and an Albright are tied almost identical to each other, the main difference is what you do with the tag end of the leader.

An Albright is easier for me to tie without the loops collapsing on me. :cool:

Bill

Troutman
09-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I do the same. The nail knotter tool I've used for years is kind of hard to find in stores anymore. It is made by Loon and called the "brown nail knotter" Item F0912. I keep it attached to my lanyard for on stream fixes if necessary.

I also nail knot a butt section of tippet, usually .021-.023 to the fly line and leave about 15" of tag. I then bloodknot my leader to it. This makes it easy to change out leaders occasionally and not have to re-tie the nail knot everytime. I do replace the butt section every so often or when the tag section gets too short. This has worked for me for years.

waterwolf
09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I use the Tie-Fast tool, and it is a breeze. There are several similar tools out there and they all work well. I have even used a stick before, in other words when you get used to tying them they are pretty simple.

kentuckytroutbum
09-16-2011, 08:20 AM
+1 on the Tie Fast tool.

Bill