PDA

View Full Version : throwing the big stuff

FishNHunt
05-31-2011, 04:06 AM
I don't throw alot of big light stuff but when I do I usually end up with a mess of twisted tippet. I've increased my tippet size but, at some point the tippet becomes to visiable to the fish and they shy away from the fly. So, what are some of the solutions to throwing big LIGHT bugs in ultra clear water?

flyred06
05-31-2011, 08:01 AM
The easiest two things I can tell you is this. !st make sure you are using enough rod to turn the flies over. 2nd slow down your cast be sure to let the fly extend on the back cast and then come forward. Big flies take a little more time to straighten out. Also try using a dropper fly so that you have a little weight at the end. Just my thoughts

Heavynets
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
A small swivel is mandatory to avoid twists when fishing the Spinner'd Minner.

http://www.willowford.net/Spinner'd%20Minners%20Material%20Kits.html

I usually put it where leader meets tippet. For light dry flies, though I have never needed it, I would put it as close to the line as possible. A small thingamaboob might be needed to counter the weight if sinking is a problem.

MadisonBoats
05-31-2011, 10:30 AM
FishNHunt,
That is a common problem when most people start throwing big flies. It still gives me hoots after some practice.:redface: Flyred06 has the right pointers and vast experience with these setups. Can you tell us what kind of rod and line set up you are using? That may help in identifying a loose end.