PDA

View Full Version : This is getting out of hand. Hackle bubble.

mcfly
06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
$416??????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Whiting-Dry-Fly-Saddle-Hackle-Light-Ginger-Bronze-Grade-/330574581063?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item4cf7c7cd47

flyman
06-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Ya know................I have 3 or 4 whole saddles (cream, grizzly, brown)that are virtually untouched, and another 3 or 4 of the 1/4 saddles(grizzly dyed yellow, grizzly dyed orange, grizzly variant). May be time to look into selling:confused: Be right back, I need to go look.:biggrin:

flyman
06-14-2011, 11:53 PM
I've decided to keep them, I guess I just like feeling pretty too much to sell them.:biggrin:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/maori-moko-facial-hair.jpg

kytroutman
06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
There was a story in the Knoxville News Sentinel last week about fly tying materials being used in hair extensions, which was driving the prices up considerably. I guess green weenie ear rings are next.

Rodonthefly
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Hmmm, I don't tie drys that much, and I guess I could sale my size 18-20 grizzly and make a good bit of profit. But I have morals and it was bought to tie flys with and by golly that's what's gonna get used for!

The poo on a bunch of hair extensions, if my woman wants them then she can go chase and kill bird to get her own. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ChemEAngler
06-15-2011, 11:01 AM
I love using Whiting saddle hackle, and thankfully have a supply that should last me a few more years. Hopefully by then, this fad will have passed.

I still have 4 or 5 Metz capes that basically are just collecting dust right now. I switched from capes because they always seemed too brittle and small, and I only used the #14 - 18 sizes anyway. However, I have heard that Whiting has also made great advancements in their capes as well.

Has anybody out there used any Whiting Capes, and how would you compare them to the Metz capes. Feather length, brittleness, barb density, etc.

Flyman, I am directing this primarily toward you... :biggrin:

Anyone else should also feel free to offer your opinion as well.

Grannyknot
06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Crazy thing is, I've got a very nice metz #1 grade micro barb grizzly saddle, purchased from the creel before they closed, with a price tag on it of $39.95. Good saddles had already gotten pretty expensive before this fad, I hate to see what a full saddle goes for now in a fly shop. I'd say we will never see reasonable saddle prices again.

BigMax
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
i see more and more ladies around UTs campus wearing the darn things....i feel as though the fad is just getting started

mcfly
06-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I guess green weenie ear rings are next.

You didn't know foam flies and hair mouse patterns are couture?

http://www.escalure.com/

Hopefully Byron doesn't find out or he'll start charging $20 per fly.

NDuncan
06-17-2011, 03:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Whiting-Dry-Fly-Saddle-Hackle-Grizzly-Signature-Grade-/270765946621?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D 330574581063%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D71687993648170658 7

Grizzly Saddle, $485 and counting...

mcfly
06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
$610??, That is crazy!!!

kentuckytroutbum
06-18-2011, 09:12 AM
The winning bid was $610! Jeez. :frown:

Bill

flyman
06-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm selling mine:smile: I use capes 75% of the time anyway.

ChemEAngler,
I just saw your questions about Whiting Capes. IMO Whiting is the gold standard in hackle, both capes and saddles. The stems are thinner, the barb count is higher, and the hackle is longer. Any hackle will become brittle as it ages. I try to keep mine in a sealed container, and in a temperature controlled environment. I was talking with Walter Babb at Troutfest about hackle and we both agreeded that hackle has improved more in recent years than any other aspect of fly tying. The Whiting pro grade capes of today are better than any hackle that was available from anyone 20 years ago. Not only are the feathers longer and the barb count higher, but the small sizes and number of small feathers on the higher grade capes is unbelievable. Years ago you might have had a hand full of feathers smaller than 18'a, now the upper 20% of the cape is 18 and smaller. Other hackle breeders have also made great strides in their hackle as well. There are some good buys out there if you look around from breeders like Collins, Keough, and Metz. Especially if you tie mostly in the more commonly used sizes such as 10-18. I personally prefer a cape that contains more of those sizes, I don't tie dries smaller than 20 most of the time anyway, and the more costly higher grade capes are not always the best value for me.

kentuckytroutbum
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
None of the fly shops in the Dallas area have any grizzly hackle in stock!

FishNHunt
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
I found this interesting.

They are long, thin feathers that come from roosters that are bred specifically for this purpose. There are only two farms in the United States that have this stock.
The roosters live in a beautiful, air conditioned barn in cages. At about 15 months they are killed for their feathers, which are sold as "saddles" or "pelts" Fishermen use them to tie flies with for fishing.
The result of specific breeding, these birds are not eaten but turned into compost or feed for other farm animals. We do not eat them.
So these birds are killed specifically for their feathers. They are not cage free, they do not molt their feathers, they are bred to NOT molt so that their feathers will grow as long and even as possible.

silvercreek
06-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe those PETA people will realize this and lean on their celeb buddies to end this hair extension fad. I'm seeing some necks on ebay being advertised as saddles, but folks are not falling for it and the prices are low although they may get bidded up toward the end of the bid. There is a white saddle going for over $500 at last check.