PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Catch on the Clinch Saturday...

MadisonBoats
06-19-2011, 08:42 AM
My brother caught this 19" bass on the Clinch Saturday with a spinning rig. He caught it below Peach Orchard.:confused:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264236_10150297864843319_718858318_9172956_7491944 _n.jpg

Ky Tim
06-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Shawn, I believe that is a spotted bass or sometimes called a Kentucky bass. It is hard to be sure from the picture but a spot will have a broken lateral line and the jaw will not extend past the eye, both of which appear to be the case on this fish. In addition a spot will have a rough tongue patch. We often catch spots at Dale Hollow when fishing for smallies in April and also catch them on a lot of smallmouth streams. They seem to inhabit a lot of the same areas.

The photo in my avatar is a 19 1/2 inch Dale Hollow spot.

waterwolf
06-19-2011, 10:16 PM
We used to turn up quite a few years ago doing shocking surveys. We found them anywhere from the **** to 61, spotted bass and smallmouth both. Including some dandy smallmouth over the years.

I personally never caught one, but have seen them in the river. That is a very respectable spotted bass anywhere.

Owl
06-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Yep. That's a spot and a nice one too! What'd he hit?

rbreedi1
06-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Nice spot!

MadisonBoats
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Shawn, I believe that is a spotted bass or sometimes called a Kentucky bass. It is hard to be sure from the picture but a spot will have a broken lateral line and the jaw will not extend past the eye, both of which appear to be the case on this fish. In addition a spot will have a rough tongue patch. We often catch spots at Dale Hollow when fishing for smallies in April and also catch them on a lot of smallmouth streams. They seem to inhabit a lot of the same areas.

The photo in my avatar is a 19 1/2 inch Dale Hollow spot.

Yeah, I am pretty sure it was a spot too. I thought it was a large mouth bass at first-look from viewing it on my phone. I had to look up the identification chart on TWRA to clarify for my own curiosity. My brother is the bass man of the family and the lake fisherman as well.:rolleyes:

We used to turn up quite a few years ago doing shocking surveys. We found them anywhere from the **** to 61, spotted bass and smallmouth both. Including some dandy smallmouth over the years.

I personally never caught one, but have seen them in the river. That is a very respectable spotted bass anywhere.

Very interesting...He has caught a few smallmouth bass at Coal Creek, but, no where else on the river. I have not caught one personally on the river either..:redface:

Yep. That's a spot and a nice one too! What'd he hit? I am not sure of the name of the lure; but, he had me tie in some flash and a marabou tail that morning. I will ask him what it is called.

waterwolf
06-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure it was a spot too. I thought it was a large mouth bass at first-look from viewing it on my phone. I had to look up the identification chart on TWRA to clarify for my own curiosity. My brother is the bass man of the family and the lake fisherman as well.:rolleyes:

Very interesting...He has caught a few smallmouth bass at Coal Creek, but, no where else on the river. I have not caught one personally on the river either..:redface:

I am not sure of the name of the lure; but, he had me tie in some flash and a marabou tail that morning. I will ask him what it is called.
Great catch and a nice add on to a Clinch list for him. I don't know if there are many left because I am not riding on shocking boats anymore.

Whatever the case it is a nice spotted bass, and always interesting to me how they can survive/feed in that frigid water year round.