PDA

View Full Version : Help needed Blacksburg Va

Streamhound
06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I may get the chance to have some free time in Blacksburg area can anyone recommend some streams and shops?

Thanks

JCW

kentuckytroutbum
06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
The man you need to talk to is Harry Murray of Murray's Fly shop in Edinburgh, Va. Last fall, my wife & I drove the entire length of the Shenandoah Valley, visiting Civil War sites, and fly fishing at places that he recommended. :cool:

Harry has a well known national reputation for fly fishing in VA. He's been mentioned before on this forum. Here is the link:

http://www.murraysflyshop.com/index.html

Since Blacksburg is pretty far south in VA, have you considered going to the Holston or the South Holston?

Bill

MBWCC
06-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Murray is probably a great resource but the distance from Blacksburg is prohibitive. There is a good Orvis shop right in the middle of downtown Roanoke, about ~35 minutes from Blacksburg and undoubtedly on the way for anyone visiting Blacksburg. If I wanted to fish the Blacksburg area I might call Murray but I would also stop in the Roanoke Orvis shop and ask for advice.

Streamhound
06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
thanks folks

kentuckytroutbum
06-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I would definitely call Harry. I talked to him twice on the phone before we made our trip, and he offered a number of suggestions, which we followed. We caught trout, smallies, and a "local" fish called a fall fish,which I'd never heard of, but they were in the North Fork of the Shenandoah River.

Bill