PDA

View Full Version : North Platte WY

ukfb1
07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Anyone have any info that may be handy to a group heading out to the North Platte July 16 till 24 with the water levels this year. Planning on fishing the six mile streach from Pickaroon. I know we have the Encampment nearby and I think the Douglas also. Any other streams or tips that might come in handy other than don't drown crossing:biggrin:

fearnofishbob
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry, can't help with the Platt. There should be some info via Google on that area...Best of luck to you guys.

Cearlock
07-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I fished the North Platte a few years ago. We floated it with a guide, and put in below pickaroon at a private access and floated down to saratoga. The float was far from great and only caught a few fish all day. We also camped at the six mile access which was above the pickaroon access point. As far as water levels, I really think it depends on the year and the snowpack. We were there a little earlier in July, and wading was difficult in saratoga, as well as at six mile where we were really confined to the bank. Like you said the encampment is right there and it fished really well while we were there. We fished both the lower end in the town of encampment, as well as the upper meadow stretches along the Colorado border. If I were to go back I would spend more time on the encampment, both upper and lower. Hope this info helps.

donwinn
07-03-2011, 08:02 PM
We fished the North Platte and Encampment a few years ago. Our problem was access. On the Encampment, we could not even get out of the boat to eat lunch - trespassing. Our thought about Wyoming is "send us your money, but stay off our land". I would recommend that you fish some of the high mountain lakes in the National Forrest. It is beautiful and you can catch some nice Brooke trout. I am sure you will have a good time, but just get some good information about access.

mstone
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes,
we fished out of Saratoga Wy. some years back and floated the North Platte. You can not get out of the boat while floating the river. We did stick a boot out to push off the bottom in a couple of places though. We were told th e fishing was going to be much better than it turned out to be. The river was beautiful, so was the land, nice experience, but the fishing was slow for us. Hope you have good luck there.

Cearlock
07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
We found miles upon miles of wading access on both the encampment and North Platte. For us access wasn't a problem at all. There was a walking trail for several miles on the lower encampment with plenty of water, and the upper encampment is all national forest. The North Platte has several different access points like pickaroon and six mile that you mentioned with miles in between. I wouldn't worry about the access, however the fishing can be tough especially on the North Platte.

donwinn
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
We did not fish the North Platte below Saratoga. So, I don't know anything about that. However, we fished with a guide for three days on the Encampment and North Platte above Saratoga. The fishing was really good two of those three days. The first day was bad, but that was just the guide. However, I am telling you that the guide would not let us get out of the boat because the river bottom was private property. We are probably more concerned about it than most, and we did find access the days we fished without a guide, but it was limited. I am just suggesting good planning. That is all. The statement below was taken from a guide service site. I hope you have a great time!

In Wyoming, you must have permission to drop anchor, wade or beach your boat on private property. Thehttp://www.northplatteflyfishing.com/slidesfolder/slide046.jpg land under the North Platte River, especially on Grey Reef, is mostly privately held. We offer 17 miles of private access, on Grey Reef, exclusively for our guests!

ukfb1
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the tips and advice, with the flows the way the are, we are going to stay in CO and try the area around the San Luis Valley and the Rio Grande.

Cearlock
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
As far as access is concerned, here are the access points on the North Platte which are upstream of Saratoga....
http://www.fourseasonsanglers.com/UpperNorthPlatteRiverWyomingAccessPoints.htm

Further downstream, closer to saratoga and on further downstream, the NP does flow through some private property.
Of course you cannot trespass on private property but all these access points are on public land and there are literally miles upon miles of water.

As for the Encampment, there are basically two access points the upper end which is in the Medicine bow national forest and is approx. 10 miles or so, and the lower end near encampment, which is a few miles on BLM government property with a trail that runs alongside the river.

ukfb1
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
As far as access is concerned, here are the access points on the North Platte which are upstream of Saratoga....
http://www.fourseasonsanglers.com/UpperNorthPlatteRiverWyomingAccessPoints.htm

Further downstream, closer to saratoga and on further downstream, the NP does flow through some private property.
Of course you cannot trespass on private property but all these access points are on public land and there are literally miles upon miles of water.

As for the Encampment, there are basically two access points the upper end which is in the Medicine bow national forest and is approx. 10 miles or so, and the lower end near encampment, which is a few miles on BLM government property with a trail that runs alongside the river.

Cearlock, thanks for the info. Fourseaonsanglers was to guide us the first day to tune us in. As stated we are going to stay south in CO. It may be for the better, we have one fisherman that has never been out west, so the terrain will be more aweinsprining to him I think.

donwinn
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Clearlock,

That is great information. I wish we had that information before we went. We went to Six Mile but did not follow the trail far enough. We thought the river went into a canyon where there would be no access.

Did you go up high above the BLM land on the Encampment? We wondered if there was access up there from the road.

Cearlock
07-12-2011, 09:32 AM
We went up the lower end of the Encampment for quite a ways on the BLM land. If I remember right there was a parking lot of some sort next to a campground and the trail ran along the river. I can't remember how far it was, but I would guess that we walked a few miles at least before we started fishing. We actually didn't do really well on this lower stretch, although my friend did lose a monster brown. We really liked the upper meadow section along the colorado border in the Medicine Bow. If we ever went back we would probably spend less time on the North Platte and more time on the encampment both upper and lower.

But we were also there mid july and temps were in the 90's everyday, maybe we just hit the NP at a bad time.

Ben

donwinn
07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey Ben,

We walked up the trail in the BLM area until we got past all the cabins on the other side of the river. We did not stay that long, but I am sure we would have had success if we had. The river looked great.

How far was the drive from Encampment to the meddow area you are talking about? It was a dirt road for most of the drive wasn't it?

Thanks for the information.

ukfb1
07-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Accsess to the North Platte should not be a problem out of Larimie. You got the six mile section between Pickaroon and Six Mile and the Encampment and Dougles. All in the Medicine Bow National Forest. Fourseasons anglers were kind enough to keep this years deposit till next year at the same time. Off to the Conejos River in two days.

Cearlock
07-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Don,

I can't remember exactly how far it was from the town of encampment to that upper stretch I was talking about. I think it took around an hour or so to get to the parking area. You take hwy 70 west to forest rd 550. This is the section in the medicine bow, and is near hog park reservoir. Hog park creek also feeds into the encampment in the meadow and it in itself is a pretty cool little creek. The meadow section sits right along the colorado border, I think i actually wandered into colorado and didn't realize it until I was walking back and saw the sign. The meadow then dumps down into a gorge type section which we didn't explore very much, only because the meadow was so much fun. And yes it is a dirt/gravel road but is rather well maintained.

Ben