PDA

View Full Version : What would you use

smccarter
07-04-2011, 10:15 AM
If you cold have only one fly rod combo for the Smokies what length and weight would you use? This would only be for the Smokies.

narcodog
07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
11ft, Iwana Tenkara.

Fly Fisherman 1
07-04-2011, 11:40 AM
8' 6'' 4wt.

MadisonBoats
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
A 10' seasoned cane pole with 4# test fishing line. There is really no need to even have a fly rod and reel up there in most areas. All you have to do is lob and drop; repeat....:smile: Most of the documentaries I have watched on fisherman who have fished the Smokies for the past 40+ years use this technique.

ChemEAngler
07-04-2011, 02:45 PM
My preference is a 7'-6" 2-wt. But that is just me. Most of my Smokies fishing is during the spring, summer, and fall when fish are active. So, I rarely break out the 4 or 5 wt for the mountains except in late fall, winter, and early spring when I will be throwing big heavy indicator rigs.

Just my opinion.

These kinds of questions are asked on here all the time, and the variation in responses is always very wide. Each person has their own fishing style, and it is in your best interest to try and find out what your style is and just go with it.

ifish4wildtrout
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I use either a 8.5 ft 4 wt or a 7.5 ft 3 wt., depends on the stream.

If I could only have one, I'd go with the 7.5 ft 3 wt.

David Knapp
07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
8' 4wt but really need two rods for the Park. Larger streams with big browns are best fished with a 9' 5 wt or fast action 4 wt...

flyman
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Deadly:biggrin:http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/popeil-pocket-fisherman-spin-casting-outfit-pf-103_260576432486.jpg

MadisonBoats
07-04-2011, 07:30 PM
My preference is a 7'-6" 2-wt. But that is just me. Most of my Smokies fishing is during the spring, summer, and fall when fish are active. So, I rarely break out the 4 or 5 wt for the mountains except in late fall, winter, and early spring when I will be throwing big heavy indicator rigs.

Just my opinion.

These kinds of questions are asked on here all the time, and the variation in responses is always very wide. Each person has their own fishing style, and it is in your best interest to try and find out what your style is and just go with it.

Well put! I hope I did not seem condescending in my post.:biggrin:

Deadly:biggrin:http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/popeil-pocket-fisherman-spin-casting-outfit-pf-103_260576432486.jpg
Flyman, I had one of these growing up and I would use it on the Clinch. It was easy to tie to my bicycle handlebars and it would go everywhere with me. I think the handle ended up falling off...

07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
The question makes for great campfire debate but never really comes to an agreeable solution by those debating. Sort of like what is the best hunting rifle? Being not local I usually carry a bunch of them from 6.5 to 9 ft., 2 to 5 wt. Heck I sometimes fish a rod just because I want to, regardless of the situation. Part of the fun is having more than one rod and constantly trying to figure out what would make the perfect rod. Sorry I kinda deviated off the subject but........................

Lee

fearnofishbob
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I believe a 7' 3wt. to be the most versitle rod for the park......... However I really believe everyone is "right"

smccarter
07-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I think I am going to have to learn the Smoky Mountain techniques. Being new to the sport and a bad caster to begin did not help then when I was using an 8ft 4 wt felt like I was going up against every tree. I have the 6í1 3wt that belonged to my father in law but I donít think my skill level matches the quality of this bamboo rod that was made by Mike Brooks in Oregon.

fearnofishbob
07-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Mr. McCarter, if you are coming to the N.C. side of the park any time soon please drop me note and I'll be glad to spend the day with you. I'm going friday the 8th. I've been "beating around" these park water for over 50 years and I love to try to help in any way I can...... I do on ocassion fish the Tn. side so I be glad to meet you over there somewhere ......Bob
p.s.... Im retired so about any time is good with me

tnflyfisher
07-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Heck I sometimes fish a rod just because I want to, regardless of the situation. Part of the fun is having more than one rod and constantly trying to figure out what would make the perfect rod. Sorry I kinda deviated off the subject but........................

Lee

I agree...

Also, it will always be a point of discussion because there is no right/wrong answer IMO. I was just up there a couple weeks ago and over the holiday weekend I was close to triple digits in terms of the amount of fish caught. All fish (5"-11")were caught on a medium action 7'9" 5wt and not once did I hear myself sayin'... boy this sucks because I'm not using a 1wt,2wt,3wt,4wt etc. It happened to be the rod I picked to fish with that weekend and it seemed to work pretty good. From my limited GSMNP exp. I would have to say that MY perfect rod up there would be something in the 7'11" to 8'4" range and probably a 3wt or 4wt. 4pc. that is light in the hand but has some backbone to handle wind, nymph rigs and a heavier line if desired. It's a tall order asking one rod to do it all. So glad there are so many... ;)

Tight Lines,

tlshealy
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
If I could only have one rod, it would be a 9' 5wt, because you can fish about any conditions with it, that being said, I usually fish a 7'6" 3wt in the park.
Tad

MadisonBoats
07-07-2011, 10:16 PM
A 10' seasoned cane pole with 4# test fishing line. There is really no need to even have a fly rod and reel up there in most areas. All you have to do is lob and drop; repeat....:smile: Most of the documentaries I have watched on fisherman who have fished the Smokies for the past 40+ years use this technique.

Seriously fellas....do you need to cast or utilize a reel in a freestone area? Also; you could basically throw any dry fly to a freestone pool and get a take if presented stealthy...This is why I dislike freestone fishing; plus, I am out of shape to hike most of the streams.:eek:

billyspey
07-08-2011, 06:48 AM
what works for U no right or wrong answer. everyone has a different opinion, opinion's are like butts everbody has one.

Grannyknot
07-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the statements about never having to cast or use a drag system on the smokies streams. I've lost 2 good fish in the mountains because I didn't use my drag properly. When a big fish gets in a swift current and heads downstream with your line, you don't just muscle him over to the bank like its 20 lb trilene. :smile:

My favorite all purpose smokies rod is a 9' 4wt.

MadisonBoats
07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Guys, I am just 'ribbing' you!:biggrin: I think fishing the freestone streams is very exciting and actual more natural. However; I usually have a bad time with the tree branches grabbing my flies. Also; it takes some patience at times. I almost broke a rod on my last try and I swore I would only try it again with a cane pole. Plus; I fell about 2-3 times and gnats were trying to make homes in my ears, nose, and mouth. I really had a bad experience on my last trip. So; it is one of those things that each person has their own style and preference.

I really need someone that knows the mountains to give me some pointers.:frown:

Heavynets
07-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Real vanilla extract will keep the gnats away.

fearnofishbob
07-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Just say when Shawn and I'll meet you for a day of "fish&fun"........Bob

Knothead
07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
it will always be a point of discussion because there is no right/wrong answer IMO Quote by tnflyfisher.
You get as many answers as there are people replying. It is a matter of preference for the individual. I fished North River a few years ago with a 7 ft. 5 wt. and never had more than the leader and about a foot of line out; drifted a chartreuse pheasant tail in fishy-looking spots. Did quite well. One of the best flies and I lost it!!!!!
I built a 6 ft. Tigereye, 2/3 wt. for the Smokies and small streams. I use an Orvis 2 wt. DT and love it.

tnflyfisher
07-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Quote by tnflyfisher.
You get as many answers as there are people replying. It is a matter of preference for the individual. I fished North River a few years ago with a 7 ft. 5 wt. and never had more than the leader and about a foot of line out; drifted a chartreuse pheasant tail in fishy-looking spots. Did quite well. One of the best flies and I lost it!!!!!
I built a 6 ft. Tigereye, 2/3 wt. for the Smokies and small streams. I use an Orvis 2 wt. DT and love it.

Perfect example... I fished the North earlier this year with my go-to 9' 4wt. and also did well with a 11" bow as my biggest out of that river. Looking forward to going back up there again this fall!

Can't imagine a 6' as my 7'9" is borderline too short for my tastes. I just like having more line control. I will however reach for the shorter rod (4pc.) for ease of packability when I head into the backcountry. As already suggested, I think it's hard to beat a good 8' 4wt. or 5wt. rod to do it all in the park. Again, just my opinion. ;)

Tight Lines,

Knothead
07-22-2011, 04:34 PM
FWIW, as a rodbuilder, I has seen that the 8-1/2 ft. 5 wt. is one of the most popular rods for E. Tennessee and W. NC. Great all-around rod!