PDA

View Full Version : Maps of Cataloochee Creek and Tribs

JoeFred
07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
The hoppers and other terrestrials will be taking to the 'Loochee streams soon.

CAUTION: If you get to fish the valley, be alert to elk, bear and . . . the Boogerman.

JF

ifish4wildtrout
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Cool, I have been waiting on that one. I love that place and the bears love to sniff and huff right outside my tent at that place.

JoeFred
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Good. I think you will like it. I had fun doing it.

Speaking of bears sniffing. Once when were camping at Chimneys, my sister, probably about 7 or 8 years old at the time, and her girlfriend were assigned sleeping in the trunk of the family car due to a bed shortage. The truck lid was fixed so not to close completely, but after a bear sniffed her feet during the night, she might have wanted to risk suffocation instead. Them were the good ole days. I'd like to think of us not as tourons, but as poorons. We must have looked like the Clampetts in some of the RVs we would take there from the farm. Once we were loaned a flat bed hearse conversion. :smile:

Crockett
07-15-2011, 08:34 AM
and don't forget the wildman of Cataloochee...

JoeFred
07-15-2011, 10:49 PM
That's right.

Rest in Peace, Arley Phillips

http://www.blindpigandtheacorn.com/blind_pig_the_acorn/2010/01/the-wild-man-of-cataloochee.html

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/boogerman_loop.htm

narcodog
07-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I ordered mine, I hope there are no deals come up like right after I ordered my last set.

I haven't seen any Boogermen,yet

JoeFred
07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks, narcodog.

I keep having to drop prices and make deals as a result of the stinking economy. I can't get the knuckleheads in Washington to do anything, but I am determined to help families keep/start fishing to the extent maps can help.

Lest I get the name Boogerman :smile:, shoot me an e-mail to info@saintclairmapping.com (info@saintclairmapping.com) . We might just work something out on your previous purchase. (Update: Thanks for the e-mail. Enjoy your maps.)

JF

fearnofishbob
07-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Arley passed away several years ago....................

JoeFred
07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
I had not heard about him until Crockett mentioned him. I read about his passing on http://www.blindpigandtheacorn.com/ . He is yet another reason Cataloochee Valley is such a fascinating area.

fearnofishbob
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
JoeFred, Got my maps today and will look them over closely in the next few days, thought I might add that brookies are being caught in the lower waters of Cataloochee. I have caught several as far down as the group camp site. One can score a grand slam in this section.
The maps really look great and will be helpful. we fished "Looche" today and it looks as though Pretty Hollow had some heavy rains within the last few days because the main creek was up. Rough creek and Caldwell forks were at a normal flow rate. Water temps are hanging at 62 degrees. Thanks for the trail map and the stream supplement on Little River.......I appreciate you man !!
Bob Nanney

JoeFred
07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Bob, it was nice of you to comment. I had heard the specks are further down than when the sampling was done. As I say in the species legend notes, the coding is based also on other reliable sources, and your having fished the Park for over 50 years easily qualifies you. I will update and republish to reflect.

Thanks!

Ky Tim
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Will be ordering mine later in the week Fred. Looking forward to it.

JoeFred
07-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Tim. I sincerely appreciate the support from you and many others it the Bluegrass state. There is considerable interest in the Smoky Mountains there.

JoeFred
07-20-2011, 11:33 AM
... thought I might add that brookies are being caught in the lower waters of Cataloochee. I have caught several as far down as the group camp site. One can score a grand slam in this section.

Others are witness to this fact: I recall the thread Specks in the Cataloochee Drainage (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15090) begun by Chris.

Map will soon be updated and republished to reflect this development.

JohnH0802
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Fred,
Just ordered the cataloochee map. I know that your map of oconolufte/bradley fork was great for my and my sons camping trip.

John

JoeFred
07-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks, John. Knowing that a simple map can add just a little to the pleasure of anglers involving their families, makes cobbling them together all the more worthwhile. I'm anxiuos to hear a 'Loochee report.

JF