PDA

View Full Version : new to eagle creek

77punk
08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
may be going backpacking on eagle creek soon. first time on this water, and first time backpacker. i am going with a couple who have been before and know the trail, but poor ol brad got skunked last time. i don't wanna be a brad too. any advice? is the fishing any good up there this time of year, especially for a noob? i plan on bringing some hoppers, green weenies and a few bh prince nymphs but not sure what else since space is limited

benintenn
08-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Yellow caddis fly and yellow stimulator. Those worked well for me a few weeks ago above Elkmont.

ifish4wildtrout
08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I know can fish great, but it fished fair when we were there in late April into early May. The higher we went, it fished less poorly.

joe a
08-06-2011, 03:05 PM
My advice would be to fish early and late. Leave the middle of the day for hiking or lounging around camp. Use a yellow stimulator or similar and stick with it. Put less focus on fly selection (this time of year wild fish are feeding on terrestrials and should not be too picky anyway) and put more focus on presentation. I is all about a drag free drift. Tie on a dropper if you feel you are getting nice drifts where you want to get them, but no sense in adding complexity if your not accomplishing the former. I fish a #14 stimi all summer long and rarely change from it unless fish are rising to it and then refusing. Then go to something smaller like a EHC or Adams.

Good luck.

ifish4wildtrout
08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I will add, those fish ain't stupid, they get pounded. joe a is right about presentation. Stealth is also critical.

77punk
08-13-2011, 03:44 PM
well i'm leavin in a week, thanks for the advice all. @joe, i will try the stimulator and i will try to be patient with it if its not getting thumped. i have 2 yellow stimulators but have never tried them before... @ben i do have 2 yellow ehc #16 i may flail around a little, i hope its close enough...@ifish its lookin like the water is gonna be low, so if i have to crawl on my belly with rod between my teeth, then thats what i will do. i know its gonna be tough, and i'm prepared. i cannot wait to go! this is gonna be rad, even if i don't catch anything. hopefully though, i will have tight lines to report back to y'all. again, thanx!

BlueRaiderFan
08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Try not to wade. At most I usually only have a couple of inches of boot in the water and then only if I have to and only if I'm very quiet about placing my foot in the water. I like to fish dries because I get caught up a lot. You may want to consider it if you find yourself attached to a lot of rocks and logs. Also, watch your back cast at all times...you can't catch fish if you are hung up in trees and bushes.

ChemEAngler
08-13-2011, 04:23 PM
... i have 2 yellow stimulators but have never tried them before... @ben i do have 2 yellow ehc #16 i may flail around a little, i hope its close enough...

Just a heads up but only 2 of each of those may not be enough. Depending on your experience fishing in tight quarters, trees have a tendency to devour that many flies a day easily. Could make for a long trip if you lose your two successful flies early on, may want to pick up a couple more of each of those before hitting the trail.

benintenn
08-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Just a heads up but only 2 of each of those may not be enough. Depending on your experience fishing in tight quarters, trees have a tendency to devour that many flies a day easily. Could make for a long trip if you lose your two successful flies early on, may want to pick up a couple more of each of those before hitting the trail.

This right here is some sound advice. I learned this lesson the hard way a few weeks ago.

77punk
08-14-2011, 10:51 AM

sounds like great advice! yes i do snag up some, and i bought the little tool LRO sells to help retrieve them from branches, and it has already paid for itself multiple times. i doubt i will have time to make it to townsend before i leave, and less time for shipping.

77punk
08-19-2011, 06:30 AM
never mind. we are stopping by LRO on the way out this morning. we even got a little rain last night up there, i hope for stained water and tight lines. holler at yall when i get back, hopefully some cool pics too!

77punk
08-27-2011, 12:56 PM
it was a lot of work getting there but it was worth every drop of sweat. we paddled canoes in and hiked up to campsite 96. tried yellow stims but no luck on fri evening. i caught quite a few the next morning from campsite 97 down to 96, the first one being my first brookie in the smokies. the water was smaller and so were most of the fish. caught one keeper size rainbow, and a rainbow that was the smallest fish i have ever caught. all came in on a bh green weenie. after a couple hours with no luck on his ant, i convinced brad to try a green weenie and he was pleased with the results. i tried elk hair caddis for a few hours sat evening with no luck. sunday morning i went downstream and caught three nice rainbows, two on pink san juan worms. had to pack up and head out so sun morning was brief. on the way out i saw the rear end of a coal black bear hauling a** off the trail and up the mountain. think i got lucky as he saw me before i saw him. :eek: