PDA

View Full Version : New Clacka

DBKSTONE2
08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I went to the fly fishing festival in Bristol, VA this past saturday. I had a great time and had a chance to look at a few boats. Clacka had a rep with a new boat to sell and he twisted my arm with show pricing and no shipping. I brought it home!!! I have wanted a drift boat for so long! I have not put it in the water yet. I have safety equipment on order, the insurance paper work completed and some rowing videos ready to go. I hate to admit it but I have never pulled the first oar on a drift boat. I know I have a lot to learn and I will be starting out on the Caney to cut my teeth and then I will work my way up to the clinch, SOHO, and Holston. I have seen Grandma's and small kids float the Caney in a canoe so I was thinking that I would be OK in a drift boat.:rolleyes:

Any help or leads you guys/gals have on drift boat operation I would be very appreciative.

I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!!:p
Thanks,

DBK

Rainbow Warrior
08-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Drift boats are a great investment for sure. My Dad bought one back in September 2009, and we have loved it ever since. The best part is all the options it opens up to you. Also, you are now able to access parts of the river that most anglers cant. The Caney is about as easy as it gets when it comes to drifting a river. That's sort of where we learned, too. There are way more rivers in the southeast that you can drift than people realize. It's awesome! You're gonna love it!
Garrett

billyspey
08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
clacka are a great boat wish i hadn't sold mine,just remember point the bow at what you want to avoid row back

Realtyman
08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm off work the next three days:). :) Too bad the Caney will be pushing water most all day long.

Setting up the oars at the correct distance apart can make a lot of difference. Unfortunately I can't tell you what that distance is, everybody rows different.

Curtis

Grumpy
08-16-2011, 10:36 PM
just remember point the bow at what you want to avoid row back

in due time, don't wait til the last minute, it won't work:eek: Driftboat Strategies by Neele Streaks is a comprehensive read on rowing a drifter, i studied my copy well along with a friend that bought a drifter & learned to row it many moons ago.
The Caney is a cake walk compared to other rivers, the SoHO, Watauga, Hi & Clinch will eat your gelcoat for sure, just go on out & hit the side of it with a hammer & get it over with;)
I'm in my 3rd Clacka now, like billspey, should have never sold the first one, not to mention the 2nd i ordered new, i've rowed other's, i just like the Clack's.

Grumpy

Luke Warmwater
08-17-2011, 09:08 AM
You will never be the same. Which model did you drag home?

David Knapp
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I went to the fly fishing festival in Bristol, VA this past saturday. I had a great time and had a chance to look at a few boats. Clacka had a rep with a new boat to sell and he twisted my arm with show pricing and no shipping. I brought it home!!! I have wanted a drift boat for so long! I have not put it in the water yet. I have safety equipment on order, the insurance paper work completed and some rowing videos ready to go. I hate to admit it but I have never pulled the first oar on a drift boat. I know I have a lot to learn and I will be starting out on the Caney to cut my teeth and then I will work my way up to the clinch, SOHO, and Holston. I have seen Grandma's and small kids float the Caney in a canoe so I was thinking that I would be OK in a drift boat.:rolleyes:

Any help or leads you guys/gals have on drift boat operation I would be very appreciative.

I AM SOOO EXCITED!!!!:p
Thanks,

DBK

If you want company and someone to run a shuttle let me know. I've rowed the Caney a few times now and would be glad to row you down the river in your new boat... :biggrin:

DBKSTONE2
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
You will never be the same. Which model did you drag home?

I took what he had. It is a 16 LP standard. I know the bench models are nicer but it was in Idaho falls, Idaho. I am just tickled it was green/sage/white and not pink/purple/mud brown. I would of hated to drag that home but I would have.:biggrin:

DBKSTONE2
08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
If you want company and someone to run a shuttle let me know. I've rowed the Caney a few times now and would be glad to row you down the river in your new boat... :biggrin:

Thanks David.

I have a number for Shuttle Caney Fork but are there any others? How does shuttling work? Does it make a difference in the process if there is only one fisherman. I can see where they would follow someone to the take out and relay the driver back but that only works with someone staying at the boat. Please explain to a newbie.

Knothead
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Be prepared to have a lots of friends! Can I be your friend?:D

David Knapp
08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Basically you need someone to drive your vehicle to the takeout and drop it off. Here's an example: Say a friend and I want to float from the Dam to Happy Hollow. If they are bringing a boat, we would leave my car at Happy Hollow and I would ride with them up to the dam. There we would put the boat in the water and park the truck. When we finish our float down the river, one person would take the car up to the dam and exchange it for the truck. Then we take out the boat, go get my car, and we're done.

There are people in the area that will run shuttles and they will usually charge $15 dollars or more depending on which float you are doing.

I'm sure some others might be able to provide details on who to call for shuttles.

Trico
08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Congratulations on your purchase! I like you purchased a new Clackacraft this year. I purchased it to use mainly in Tenn. on the Clinch, Holston and South Holston. I used it in Michigan this spring but have yet used it in Tenn. Like you I never rowed one before. There is a learning curve but you will hav e fun!

Grumpy
08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks David.

I have a number for Shuttle Caney Fork but are there any others? How does shuttling work? Does it make a difference in the process if there is only one fisherman. I can see where they would follow someone to the take out and relay the driver back but that only works with someone staying at the boat. Please explain to a newbie.

The shuttle i use meet's me at the takeout, we drive to the put in & he takes my truck back to the takeout.

Grumpy

DBKSTONE2
08-17-2011, 11:21 PM
The shuttle i use meet's me at the takeout, we drive to the put in & he takes my truck back to the takeout.

Grumpy

Grumpy is this a resource you can share with me? It would be nice to have multiple options for shuttling.

Thanks,

DBK

Grumpy
08-18-2011, 07:36 AM
His name is Dan, if you want his #, give me a shout at 615-321-4069 after 10 AM, hate to post it on a public forum w/o permission.

Grumpy

Luke Warmwater
08-18-2011, 10:17 AM
DBKSTONE2 those are great boats! You will enjoy it very much! Also, see how popular you are now. It is like being the first kid in high school to own a car. :biggrin:

DBKSTONE2
08-19-2011, 12:01 PM
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=0d0b01268f27f3d5&page=play&resid=D0B01268F27F3D5!106&authkey=jWGB0MOxW*c%24

Here is a picture if I got the link correct.

Realtyman
08-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Good to see you finally got the Clacka in the water! It looks better in person than in the pics.

So...... How does it row?

DBKSTONE2
08-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Good to see you finally got the Clacka in the water! It looks better in person than in the pics.

So...... How does it row?

Did you pass me on the river yesterday? Someone passed me and knew about the boat from the board. It is a small world.

Yesterday was great. My uncle and cousin went with me and like myself they had no rowing experience. Lord help me I need the experience!! Rowing a drift boat looks way easier than actually doing it. Maybe by the end of fall I will have some of the bugs worked out.