PDA

View Full Version : Online Petition to Stop Backpacking Fee

Crockett
08-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Found this on whiteblaze if you aren't for the proposed backpacking fee here is another place to voice it:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gsmnp_backcountry_fees/

Crockett
08-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Wow 115 signatures in one day and on the signatures tab where you can view who signed it I see a lot of folks from this board!! I plan on waiting a couple more days and sending a link to that signatures page to the parks service director (Dale Ditmansons boss) and congressman Duncan among others. I think the comments left are pretty good I learned a lot through them like this one:

Name: John Quillen on Aug 19, 2011
Comments: This is a tax on backcountry use and a violation of the parks deed restriction. Ditmanson is augmenting his already bloated budget on the backs of those who fight for it and protect it. He got 64 million extra dollars this year in stimulus money but I suppose road building is more important. 8 x his annual budget and he wants to dig deeper into backpacker pockets. Unbelievable. Email the natl pard director, ditmanson's boss. He has the ultimate say so.
In what state do you reside: Tennessee

I didn't know about the 64 million extra dollars this year! I hope some folks on here will help to dig deeper into this and find out what is really going on here. One thing is for sure Ditmanson is old and he will be gone in a couple of years but its us and our kids who will live forever with these fees and mess if we don't stand up over the next couple of weeks and figure out more about all of this.

duckypaddler
08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for going to the meeting. I'm sorry I missed it.

I too saw many names that seem familiar, and will add mine to the list.

While I am not against paying fees, I don't see a good way that would make sense in the Smokies and personally see more bad bahavior in the front country on a regular basis than I even see in the back country