PDA

View Full Version : Sage "One" Rod

waterwolf
08-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Well....I got a little crazy and decided to jump on the new Sage rod that just hit store shelves, replacing the Z-axis.

I will admit that the latest marketing ploy is a bit cheesy and Orvisish, but the actual product is quite impressive.

Those who know me, know I am not one to crown any gear king and more likely to criticize gear heavily and compliment only a little.

With that said, I have never fished anything that was as enjoyable as the 690-4 One (9' 6wt.) that I fished today for the first time. I don't know about the accuracy of the rod, fortunately I am a pretty accurate caster, but the ease of use, light weight, and super responsiveness of this new rod is quite stunning.

The overall weight at under 3 oz. is quite a feat, and the felt weight in the hand is even more impressive to me.

I have a slough of 6wts. (SP, Z-axis, XP, SLT, XI2 and VXP) and this new stick blows all of those out of the water. I personally thought the XP couldn't be trumped, but it was trounced by the Z-axis. I didn't think it could be beat until now.

If you can overlook the cheesy marketing campaign, piss poor name, and stiff price tag. This new rod will blow your mind. Naturally every one has their own preferences, so it may not be for all to enjoy.

Again, I am not the type to put this much credence in some new gear, but this rare time I thought credit was due.

flyred06
08-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Totally glad you posted this report. I looked at one just the other day and the price tag hit hard. I have a zaxis in a five weight and like you, could not believe Sage could trump it. I need a new 6 wt and I will now take another look at this rod. I am a huge sage fan and would love to know more on this rod when its taken to the water on several more trips. Enjoy.

oldschool
08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
I fished the "one" a week or so ago in the 9' 6wt and enjoyed it very much. I mostly threw a streamer and caught some dang nice fish on the rod.... which sure doesn't hurt one's opinion about any product. Fine piece of equipment for sure.

flyred06
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
How do you think it will handle a sinking line with clousers? I fish that alot for bass and small stripes here in bama.

waterwolf
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
How do you think it will handle a sinking line with clousers? I fish that alot for bass and small stripes here in bama.
I can only assume very well. I threw a big popper all day and usually with my others 6's my arm gets a little tired by the end of the day. Not yesterday, I was still easily making super long casts with ease.

If I were getting one (no pun intended ;) ) I would get the 691, and not the 690, to have the fighting butt.

Tyrillius
08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
bit cheesy and orvisish

f.....
A....
G....

waterwolf
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
f.....
A....
G....
So I'm the fag for taking a shot at how pathetic Orvis is, and there gimmick laden products? Interesting....

Tyrillius
08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Someone that buys a $700 rod is obviously trying to compensate for something.

jeffnles1
08-26-2011, 08:27 AM

That was uncalled for.

Jeff

silvercreek
08-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Agree with Jeff. Uncalled for.

pineman19
08-26-2011, 09:16 AM

This kind of BS should be taken care of at a personal level, not the internet.

Neal

D-Drake
08-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Waterwolf,
Thanks for the gear review. And please ignore the other inappropriate replies. I got to cast the One. Rods have gotten really good over the last several years. It takes one heck of a new rod to make a splash in the current market. Especially at $700+ any company definitely has to step up their game. I'm not a Sage fanatic as I tend to prefer more moderate action rods but the new One was highly impressive. I was surprised that with such a high line speed rod it still casts easy and smooth.

Enjoy the rod!

Daniel

tnflyfisher
08-26-2011, 10:31 AM

But I am looking at a 9 z-axis 5wt not sure what reel to put on it.

Yet here he was considering a Z-Axis just 4 months ago ... :rolleyes:

Please keep this stuff out of the forums. There is just no need for it here. Thanks in advance. Now, back to the rod .... :cool:

Tight Lines,

Plunker
08-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Perhaps one should consider compensating for one's maturity level.

waterwolf
08-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow...........
8-6 4wt sp with abel 0
9-0 3wt sp with abel 0

But I am looking at a 9 z-axis 5wt not sure what reel to put on it.

Ahhh, the irony......

You should probably look at a Browning reel for your new Z-axis. They run around $15.00 and are made of a real high quality plastic. That way no one will think you are compensating for anything.

Plunker
08-27-2011, 06:59 AM
At the risk of REALLY over-compensating, and starting the Sage-v-Winston debate: I tried the One back to back with a BIIIx...excepting for a difference in line(RIO/GPX) I found a lot of similarity. I am by no means an expert but I found and prefer the slightly(SLIGHTLY) softer action of the Winston. Really it seems that "softer" is a more appropriate description than "slower" because IMHO BOTH of these beauties are Wicked Fast and smooth as silk.

I'd like a BIIIX in every size......I have a lot to compensate for, or would have after my wife found out I bought 'em for sure HeHe!:p

Flat Fly n
08-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Hey Tyrillius,

got an idea for you if your going to call folks those kind of names on this board for buying something they want and can afford. Last I heard we were still free to buy what we want without asking others if they felt it was appropriate....why don't you buck up and challenge old Waterwolf to a 50ft duel with #18 barbless hooks and see who runs or bleeds out first! I mean with a name like Tyrillius (world of warcraft fame) you surely would do that.....PS. I had to google your name to find out what the Sam Hill it meant.

PS....what's your blood type....I'll have some on hand for you.

waterwolf
08-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Hey Tyrillius,

got an idea for you if your going to call folks those kind of names on this board for buying something they want and can afford. Last I heard we were still free to buy what we want without asking others if they felt it was appropriate....why don't you buck up and challenge old Waterwolf to a 50ft duel with #18 barbless hooks and see who runs or bleeds out first! I mean with a name like Tyrillius (world of warcraft fame) you surely would do that.....PS. I had to google your name to find out what the Sam Hill it meant.

PS....what's your blood type....I'll have some on hand for you.

**** back this duel up to 80 feet, 50 will be too easy. AT least make it a challenge:biggrin:

My bet is Mr. Dungeons and Dragons won't be back. I would say mom's basement has poor connection speeds.

flyred06
08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
waterwolf, don't let this guy highjack your post with his immaturity. We all know you as a senior member and your accomplishments along with your great reports, so don't even go to his level. With that said I have a question about how you set the rod up. What line and size are you using? I am always interested how different lines cast on different rods and if you have to oversize lines to load rods better. Can you please provide that info? I cant wait to see some pics caught off that rod.

D-Drake
08-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Flyred,
When the sales rep had the rods here we were casting them with RIO Gold fly lines. That line loaded the rod better than the lighter trout lines.

flyred06
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
thanks daniel but do you have to overload these rods with a one size larger than rated line and were you using WF or DT lines?

D-Drake
08-28-2011, 10:30 AM
FlyRed,
The RIO Gold is a WF line. We were using 5wt on a 5wt. The line loads faster rods well but isn't as heavy as a RIO Grand or SA GPX. I don't think you need to go up a line size with the ONE.

Tyrillius
08-28-2011, 07:54 PM
HA, Nice one wolf, that was funny. Good review on the rod by the way. Your buddy in Jacksonville says hello

Plunker
08-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Flyred,
When the sales rep had the rods here we were casting them with RIO Gold fly lines. That line loaded the rod better than the lighter trout lines.

The "One" I cast had a Rio Gold 7 on a 7rod unless they are a half size too?
The BIIIx 7 had a GPX mastery on it, which I think is a .5 size bigger.
That would certainly explain the "softer" feel I mentioned on the Winston.

Not that it matters much....I still had to drive the Honda from the Ferrari store. They WERE nice though!

waterwolf
08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
waterwolf, don't let this guy highjack your post with his immaturity. We all know you as a senior member and your accomplishments along with your great reports, so don't even go to his level. With that said I have a question about how you set the rod up. What line and size are you using? I am always interested how different lines cast on different rods and if you have to oversize lines to load rods better. Can you please provide that info? I cant wait to see some pics caught off that rod.
I am using a Sage Performance taper WF6 on it now. It seems to do fine, however with that said, yesterday the wind was howling and I was throwing a pretty **** big popper. It did not amaze me like it did last weekend, but I do not think anything would have been great with the wind we had.

Last weekend, it was windless and throwing the same fly/line it was effortless to cast. Let you know more after this coming weekend.

flyred06
09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
went to a local fly shop close to home today and cast the ONE in a 9' 6weight. Very Very sweet rod. I can say I believe it has surpassed the zaxis. I might have to find ONE in my future. Thanks for getting the bug started for me to buy another new rod.

Byron Begley
09-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't own a "One" yet but I have cast several of them. I think we have sold a couple so far. I was impressed, especially with the 6 wt and a Rio Smallmouth Line on it casting on grass. Personally I was impressed with accuracy but I didn't have any other brands out there that day to compare to. I am meeting with the Sage sales rep again tomorrow so I'll probably make some comparisons if time allows. I fished all day today with a avid 26 year old guide. He wore me out on the lake. I hope my arm is up to the challenge tomorrow.

Byron

waterwolf
09-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't own a "One" yet but I have cast several of them. I think we have sold a couple so far. I was impressed, especially with the 6 wt and a Rio Smallmouth Line on it casting on grass. Personally I was impressed with accuracy but I didn't have any other brands out there that day to compare to. I am meeting with the Sage sales rep again tomorrow so I'll probably make some comparisons if time allows. I fished all day today with a avid 26 year old guide. He wore me out on the lake. I hope my arm is up to the challenge tomorrow.

Byron
I need a 4wt, you all have one in stock nine footer BTW.

Trico
09-08-2011, 11:52 AM
The Sage "One" is certainly a nice rod. Anyone inteested in a 9 foot 4 weight would also be wise to consider the Hardy Zenith. The 9 foot 4 weight with a Scientific Anglers GPX line is a dream in MHO. I also used one for a day with a Rio Gold while very nice (I promptly purchased one after using it) I think the GPX loads the rod a little nicer.

billyspey
09-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage one, better performer and cosmetic's plus made in usa.

flyred06
09-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I bought a ZXL 3 wt last season and don't really care for it. I wonder how a "ONE" in about an 8'6" 3 wt would be. Might have to look into it. The ZXL is a little to fast for me and the 6 wt "ONE" I cast seem to be a little slower. I really wish I had not got the ZXL and wish it had a new home. Then I could pursuit the ONE:rolleyes:

billyspey
09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Heard today Sage one has already been the most successful rod launch that Sage has ever done over 3000 already sold

Trico
09-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Billspey you said the Sage One is a better performer then the Hardy Zenith. I am curious is this your opinion or do you know about some independent test?
George Anderson of Yellowstone Angler compared the two and thought the Hardy was the best performer. I have a Hardy 9 ft 4 wgt and have cast a 9 ft 4 wgt One. I thought the Hardy handled the best. Again I would encourage anyone looking for a new 9 ft 4 wgt to look at both. The One is a very nice rod but when paying that much for a rod everyone should cast as many different rods as they can and find one which suits their needs or style. Performance is rather subjective. Plus just because one model casts like a dream in say 6 or 7 wgt this same model may not be so good in a lighter wgt.

Byron Begley
09-09-2011, 07:04 PM
We will have several of the "One" rods in the store around October 1st. We had two and sold one today. Our pre-season should ship 10/1 so you can try them out. Right now we have a 9' 5 wt. I love them. Paula and I are ordering a 6 and 7 and will get them with the Oct shipment. We can order any "One" rod you want now.

Byron

waterwolf
09-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Billspey you said the Sage One is a better performer then the Hardy Zenith. I am curious is this your opinion or do you know about some independent test?
George Anderson of Yellowstone Angler compared the two and thought the Hardy was the best performer. I have a Hardy 9 ft 4 wgt and have cast a 9 ft 4 wgt One. I thought the Hardy handled the best. Again I would encourage anyone looking for a new 9 ft 4 wgt to look at both. The One is a very nice rod but when paying that much for a rod everyone should cast as many different rods as they can and find one which suits their needs or style. Performance is rather subjective. Plus just because one model casts like a dream in say 6 or 7 wgt this same model may not be so good in a lighter wgt.
Absolutely agree. I am a Sage disciple, not for any other reason then they generally fit my casting style with their quicker action.

I have never cast the Hardy rods, and wouldn't dare offer an opinion on them without FISHING them first. Casting over a parking lot is not the same as using one while fishing IMO.

I have buddies who love Loomis, and personally I have never touched a Loomis I would use as a tomato stake. They are heavy in the hand, and cast like crap to ME.

Until Orvis came out with the Helios I would say the same about them, junk. The Helios was a fantastic rod, at least the 2 that I fished.

The king of bad for my tastes was Temple Fork, wouldn't take one if it was given to me.

I hate a rod that is sluggish and heavy in my hand. I want a quick action rod which even in a 4 wt. requires no false casting to make a 70 foot cast. My experiences and my casting style basically limits me to Sage because of my preferences. The "One" seems to fit that very well at this point.

On aesthetics, I could care less if the guides were held on by scotch tape, and the reel seat was made of white plastic. As long as the blank is fits my taste the rest is of no worry to me.

flyred06
09-10-2011, 09:46 PM
The king of bad for my tastes was Temple Fork, wouldn't take one if it was given to me.

I hate a rod that is sluggish and heavy in my hand. I want a quick action rod which even in a 4 wt. requires no false casting to make a 70 foot cast. My experiences and my casting style basically limits me to Sage because of my preferences. The "One" seems to fit that very well at this point.

On aesthetics, I could care less if the guides were held on by scotch tape, and the reel seat was made of white plastic. As long as the blank is fits my taste the rest is of no worry to me.

I can not agree more. On this part of your post. However I am curious how you feel about sage in the smaller rods. As said I might be looking into a 3wt and a 6wt and the ONE is the direction I am looking. I would however entertain the idea of a new winston. As for your comments on the gloomis rods they are great saltwater rods and thats about it as far as I have seen. And yes I have owned them.

waterwolf
09-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I can not agree more. On this part of your post. However I am curious how you feel about sage in the smaller rods. As said I might be looking into a 3wt and a 6wt and the ONE is the direction I am looking. I would however entertain the idea of a new winston. As for your comments on the gloomis rods they are great saltwater rods and thats about it as far as I have seen. And yes I have owned them.
I think the Sage 389 LL was one of the best light line rods ever made, I used to fish it on the Clinch every time.

I also liked the SP's, and XP's in lighter weights. However, the TXL (I think) or whatever the new lightweight rods are, they are not for me. They have zero backbone, and are just too "whippy" for my tastes.

If you are looking for a great small stream rod, the 7' 11" 4wt. LL is the best they ever made IMO. Absolutely a dream to fish.