PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight gear for the backcountry

duckypaddler
08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I have been recently trying to get my pack weight down for overnighters. I know many of you on this forum have experience with lightweight backpacking, and would love to learn whatever I can.

I have a daypack (Deuter Futura 40) that is a hair over 3 pounds, and should be able to keep enough stuff for a night or 2. With the nice support, don't think it's really worth it at this time to get a 2 pounder, and is still much better than my other 2 packs that weigh 5 & 7 pounds.

My new tent (not a hammock guy) is super light Big Agnes FlyCreek UL2 and weighs just 3 pounds with all stuff and footprint, so I'm pretty much set here.

For a sleeping system, I am looking for a really lightweight bag to replace my current bag which weighs 2.75 pounds with stuff sack. Does anyone have experience with the Terra Nova Laser (12 oz) sleeping bag, or western mountaineering Summerlite, or another super lightweight bag? I'm set for a pad using my Thermarest z lite at 10oz if I want to suffer, or 19oz for pure comfort in the NeoAir (down from old Thermarest at 44 oz)

I'm also set on cooking, and am looking forward to the transition to an alcohol stove. Got my cooking gear from 3.5 pounds to just under a pound.

Who has a good replacement for my old gore-tex jacket? At 18.6 oz it probably needs to go, just not sure if I weant to get something too thin as the Smokies can be quite wet. I remember Mac & maybe Grannyknot were talking about a lightweight rain jacket when Mac had posted his gear list (no longer there:frown:). Also my rain pant t 10.1 will most likely just be left at home more.

Also Spotlight had a recipe for an ultralight tube holder that I can no longer find. That TFO case while very sturdy, is a bit overkill and just too heavy.

Any other tips to saving weight would be appreciated including what you carry fishing (usually take whole vest & all contents, but will change that).

Thanks to all in advance:biggrin:

Crockett
08-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey man I use driducks rainsuit pants and jacket for $15 (total for both). Pants weigh about 3.5 oz and jacket about 4.5oz. insanely light. Lots of reviews of it on backpackinglight.com. Some folks say don't bushwhack in them but I would beg to differ they are much tougher than they are giving credit for. They don't look pretty though in fact they are ugly and you will look funny wearing them lol. Got mine at Gander mtn.

I made a real light rod holder by getting a flourescent light bulb "tube" holder from lowes and sawing it down to size then used gorilla tape on one end and put some foam in the bottom. on the other end that had a cap I can remove to get the rod in and out. It is probably 5oz much lighter than the tfo tube. I have used it for 2 years now and no problems.

I also use a zlite it works good but not the most comfortable. I don't know about those sleeping bags.

benintenn
08-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Those dri ducks are great and super light weight. They are also very affordable.

What do you do for water treatment? Instead of carrying a filter that weights a 1lb (or close to it), you could just carry tablets. Those things weigh next to nothing.

I haven't been back country fishing all that long so I'm still learning how to pack. I fish in the clothes that I hike in. One extra shirt at camp and maybe an extra pair of shorts. My camp shoes are also my fishing shoes (Keen's) which are heavy but worth it. I bought a sling pack which doesn't weigh much and holds more than enough fishing gear.

Never heard of the bag. Just out of curiosity, what is the temp rating on it? I am assuming its down.

joe a
08-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Western mountaineering bags are the jam.

ifish4wildtrout
08-31-2011, 07:29 AM
For a sleeping bag, I use a bag liner. It weighs about 7 oz and it stuffs down to something like 5"X8".

The downside is, anything below 55 or so degrees, and you will get cold.

So, I am hoping to learn something in this thread as well, regarding a lightweight and small sleeping bag, something rated for 35-40 degrees.

joe a
08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
My Western Mountaineering is a 20 degree down bag and weighs 1lb 13oz. It will keep you warm down to 15 degrees but breathes so well that I use it in the summer and don't break a sweat.

Grannyknot
08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
DP...I love a good gear thread.
As for packs, I learned my lesson early on that suspension is pretty important when it comes to packs. I'd say that Deuter pack is a good way to go. I use a GG Vapor Trail when I'm packing light, and use the ArcTeryx Bora packs (65, 80) when I have larger loads or cold weather gear.

That new tent you've got is very nice....I love the BA tents, and have 2 of them.

The Western Mountaineering bags are top notch along with the Feathered Friends bags. I've never been able to afford either brand, and so I went with the Mountain hardwear Phantom series. I've recently been looking into purchasing a Jacks r better down quilt. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/ I won't say too much on sleeping pads, because they are all personal preference. Some people can sleep on the Wal-Mart "blue" pads, whereas some people need a thermarest base camp pad to get good sleep. I use an old Thermarest prolite 4, but would love to get my hands on one of those Exped downmats.

Good luck with your alcohol stove. Some love them, some not so much. Spotlight and I went on a trip earlier this year, and he had one that worked pretty darn well. I don't like that you can't shut it off or make it simmer though. I still use a snowpeak canister stove.

Jackets...Not a fan of dri-ducks. I bought a set a few years ago after hearing all the rave reviews. First trip out with them, had to wear them in a downpour on the hike out. I was sweating like crazy...clammiest things I had ever been in. Another thing I noticed is the durability of the fabric. The fabric doesn't do too well in heavy rodo or breyers, imo. Also, my backpack shoulder straps wore the fabric down around my shoulders and was no longer water tight. Glad they didn't cost much. I would get a decent Gore-Tex paclite or eVent jacket. I use the Integral Designs eVent jacket. I think its around 9oz.

I believe Kevin (spotlight) ordered one of those ultra light tubes from backpacking light, but I'm not sure if he ever got it. I don't really use a rod tube, because I usually take an 8 piece rod that breaks down to about 10", unless I'm hiking in to a larger stream, then I take an 8' 4wt in a tube.

I never take much fishing gear on multi-night trips any more. I usually take 2 rolls of tippet, an extra leader or 2, couple of tools, floatant, and a small box of flies. I carry all of this in my pockets while I'm fishing. I never take waders and only take my boots and neoprene socks on special occasions. I just take some sandals that I've attached a home made felt sole to.

Has anyone seen or heard from spotlight lately? I think he is MIA. :eek:

JayB
08-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Preparing for an upcoming trip where I want to go as light as possible I have my baseweight down to 12 lbs without food, water and fishing gear. Keep in mind, I am eternally on a budget, so I try to go ultralight, but at a reasonable cost. I hope to buy better gear....one day!

I have a light toploading daypack, I found at a yardsale, weighs less than 2 lbs (I think it is a womens pack, but it works well enough). Sometimes I use an external frame that is just super light weight as well. I've stitched it up many times to keep it going, but it just has the most lightweight aluminum frame, and its easily organized, easy to attached stuff to the outside of. (I really kind of despise toploaders, and only use them when I need to.) Also found at a yardsale for $5.

I have a kelty cosmic 35 degree synthetic sleeping bag 2 lbs 10 oz. It works well to the rated temp. Dirt cheap as well for a bag that compresses well, and is lightweight. In the winter when it gets cooler you arent going ultralight anyway, I use a sleeping bag liner to add a few more degrees to it.

taking chemical water treatment instead of the almost 2lbs of weight of my water filter.

sleeping in hammock Eno singlenest, with hardware removed.14oz with tree huggers (huggers are harbor freight straps)
Replaced heavy carabiners on ENO with webbing loops, which marlin spike hitch to tree huggers
Tarp - chinook 9x9, 2mm sterling accessory cord for tarp ridgeline. 2 Aluminum stakes. total 1.5 lbs (I only take 1 tarp per 2 people. Hang bunkbed style if it looks like bad weather.)

I use about a third of the blue ccf pad from walmart. Doesnt weigh much at all. havent weighed it though, couple of ounces. Keeps me warm in the hammock. If my legs get cold, throw the empty pack under your legs.

cook system- set of aluminum billycans I bought 12 years ago and still love, weigh almost nothing. Pocket rocket + cansiter fuel to cook on. I also a nylon bag for hanging food in, and carry 40ft of rope for hanging said bag when im not somewhere with cables.

Rain gear - plastic poncho 1 oz. yeah it sucks, I could improve this part, but to do it with something lightweight costs money, which I dont have right now.

cold weather gear - synthetic fleece pullover from goodwill, synthetic long underwear which I always take with me. winter, spring, summer and fall, weigh next to nothing.

water bottle - gatorade bottle. Nalgene bottles are for winter when I heat them up and toss in the sleeping bag.

for easy trips I use the fluorescent light bulb tube like Adam said for a rod tube, however after slipping on a wet trail and landing on my back once and nearly destroying my rod on the first day of a 4 day fishing trip, I use a homemade PVC tube for longer/more difficult trips. still lighter than the rod case you get from the manufacturer.

No fly vest, carry everything in my pockets, two boxes of flies (one wet, one dry) floatant, nippers, extra leaders, tippet.

Used to carry flip flops to wear in camp, but now I just go barefoot at camp. Love my fivefingers for wading and hiking in, but once Im at camp I have to shed them.

Cant think of the rest of it right now, but thats the gist of it.

NDuncan
08-31-2011, 11:57 AM
I just take some sandals that I've attached a home made felt sole to.

I started a project like this last year, bought some clearance columbia hiking sandals at Gander and replacement felt soles that I cut to size. How did you attach them to the sandals? I used the adhesive that came with the felt, but it didn't hold very well.

duckypaddler
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks - this is exactly the feedback I was looking for

Crockett - What do you think about what Jay said about the ultralight case being prone to breakage if you fall. Would yours be good enough to hold up to an off-trail rant? I just weighed the TFO case without rod or sleeve and it's 18.8 oz:eek: so I will replace it for sure.

Ben - I believe you may have been the one who led me to purchase a Steripen. I bought the heavier version. Much lighter than the old MSR at well over a pound.

Joe - I have yet to hear anything bad about Western Mountaineering, other than the price. If River Sports would have had a Summerlite in stock that I could have used my 20% off coupon I would have bought one. They had the smaller lighter one, but it was a bit tight through the torso, and since I toss and turn I passed. At $320 for the Summerlite, I will wait till I can get one on sale. I would still love to hear some feedback on that Terra Nova Laser at 12 ounces and a 35-40 confort rating. It seems too good to be true, or cut too tight for me. I already have a down winter bag, and am not looking for a particular temp rating, but something that will work for the other 9 months a year when the winter bag is just too much.

I fish - I looked into liners, but found that they take up just as much space as a leightweight bag, and don't offer nearly the protection I am looking for. I always like to know that I can just crawl in my bag if all else goes wrong.

Granny - Thanks for the Jack recommendation. I had looked at them, but was a little inhibited by the non tradition approach, and wasn't really considering them. The Shenadoah at 2/3 the price of the SummerLite does seem appealing and worth some serious consideration.Also thanks for the raingear recommendation. While I don't have the funds at this time, will start looking for deals. I hope Spotlight does come back. There's a guy in his club that really needs to get out:smile: from reading the latest posts.

Jay - I also have a 20 degree synthtic bag that is 2.8 pounds with stuff sack. The super light weight ones seem to all be around a pound and fold up like a grapefruit. Do you know how much the PVC weighed compared to the bulb protector?

N Duncan - Some aquaseal or Show goo should work well to get the felt on. Remember to clean it with some alcohol first to get good adhesion.

I guess I'll try leaving my vest at home, or at least get rid of most everything in it:rolleyes:

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming

Grannyknot
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
I started a project like this last year, bought some clearance columbia hiking sandals at Gander and replacement felt soles that I cut to size. How did you attach them to the sandals? I used the adhesive that came with the felt, but it didn't hold very well.

I didn't use replacement soles. I bought 8 squares of felt from hobby lobby, sewed 4 together per sandal, cut them to size and used some adhesive called "E-6000".

Crockett
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Jay may be right about the rod tube I would say like with anything it depends. I am pretty careless throwing my pack down and going through rhodo I have got the light tube rod hit in the rhodo pretty hard. I have used it for a couple of years and not broke my rod yet. But also my rod is a very cheap rod not sure I would put an $800 winston in a flourescent light bulb holder to save a few ounces. I just bought a $30 4 peice 5wt cabelas rod that I wouldn't hesitate carrying in there.

I also have been known just to carry a $1 plastic emergency poncho. Better than nothing if it rains and lighter than any fancy rain jacket. Of course not breathable but works. Going lightweight you will have to make some trade offs like that unless you want to spend a lot of money.

I have seen Spotlight got a motorcyle on facebook he is probably out terrorizing the streets of Blount county about now.

JayB
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
The fluorescent bulb tube really does work surprisingly well. I've had it get caught on/slapped by rhodo countless times, and have yet to have it hurt the rod. I would say for 90% of my trips that rod tube is fine. Especially shorter trips where if the worst case scenario happened and I did somehow break the rod, well I could always go back to that spot. When Im on a 4 day long trip, Im probably going someplace I wont be back to in a long while, so I want to take the extra precaution. that one time I slipped on a wet rock on a down hill slope and fell square on my back. Only time its ever happened, and even then the rod survived. Ill get a weight on that PVC tube soon, the fluorescent bulb tube weighs less than an ounce id guess.
Also, Im only putting a TFO pro 4 piece in that little tube, so Im out 40 bucks in the cost of s/h fees under the lifetime warranty.

Grannyknot
08-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I have seen Spotlight got a motorcyle on facebook he is probably out terrorizing the streets of Blount county about now.

Oh lord. That is the last thing that wildman needs.
Considering how fast he drives that little neon, I can't imagine him on 2 wheels.

ChemEAngler
08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Ducky,

Now is a good time to be looking into upgrading gear. Lots of end of season sales at local stores and the online retailers. Unfortunately the local retailers are very limited in what they carry, and I have a hard time finding what I am looking for.

I am actually placing my order tonight for a Big Agnes Cross Mountain bag for May thru October camping. My current bag, which sweats me to death in the summer, is a 30 degree Eureka bag that weighs in at 4lbs and only compresses down to 10" dia x 13". The Cross Mountain should work great with my Insulated Air Core. However, I do agree that those Exped DownMat's are sweet! Did you know they are releasing a DownMat UL for 2012?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_U8cTeQCtw

Also looking for a quality semi-light 2 person tent for my son and I.

So, in a way I am trying to do the same thing you are. However I am trying to build my gear from the ground-up instead of replacing stuff.

Grannyknot
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Ducky,

Also looking for a quality semi-light 2 person tent for my son and I.

So, in a way I am trying to do the same thing you are. However I am trying to build my gear from the ground-up instead of replacing stuff.

Are you still looking at that Kelty Grand Mesa 2?
Backcountry is having their semi annual sale right now. Lots of good deals on tents. Also, I was down at Riversports the other day and they had a pretty good deal running on the MSR hubba hubba tents.

RFork
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I use a homemade pack that weighs 16 ounces and a fluorescent lamp guard tube for protection of my rod.

I also made a cuben fiber rod sleeve for my Orvis superfine that weights 1/2 an ounce.

With flyfishing gear, I am around an 8 pound base weight. Down or synthetic quilts are something to take a look at if you are looking for a new sleeping bag. They can be much cheaper, and they cut weight by eliminating the insulation that is otherwise compressed on the bottom. I use one from Hammockgear, it is very nice. I do not use a hammock.

I am constantly switching out shelters, but I've used a NEMO gogo ex, a Tarptent Moment, a Hammock, and just switched to a Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis tarp.

I use a Zlite, but you may want to look into a neoair short. I think they are around 9 ounces. You can then just place your pack under your feet or a section out of the zlite. I converted my dad to lightweight packing and he uses this system.

As someone already stated, Event is really good for rain gear.

Here is a picture of pack and rod sleeve.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m634/mpd1690/2011-07-17_21-48-24_329.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m634/mpd1690/2011-07-17_21-43-25_273.jpg

duckypaddler
09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
That's a sweet pack! Want to sew up another? Are there good places to look for recipes for gear? I didn't want to pay for a backpacking light membership

I just think I'll go with the lighter cheaper rod holder. I've only broken my rod twice in 2 years:eek:, you know they say the third time is a charm. Thank goodness it's a TFO:smile:

RFork
09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
That's a sweet pack! Want to sew up another? Are there good places to look for recipes for gear? I didn't want to pay for a backpacking light membership

I just think I'll go with the lighter cheaper rod holder. I've only broken my rod twice in 2 years:eek:, you know they say the third time is a charm. Thank goodness it's a TFO:smile:

Ha I am there with you on the breaks. I've broken my superfine once, once my fault, and a G. Loomis once. Thank goodness for good warranties!

I'd be glad to make another.

I got back from an 8 day trip in the Yellowstone/Absaroka area and the fluorescent lamp guard tube work exceptionally well. I'm hard on my gear as well, and I never felt like I had to baby it. They come with a top as well, which is nice. I just pair that with the rod sleeve to stop rattle. A sock wrapped around the rod works well too.
If you need to contact me my email is mpd1690 (at) gmail (dot) com

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean by recipes, but if you mean kits, Backpacking Light has a lot of good lists to glean info from. Its free for the forum, just some articles require membership.

ChemEAngler
09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Are you still looking at that Kelty Grand Mesa 2?
Backcountry is having their semi annual sale right now. Lots of good deals on tents. Also, I was down at Riversports the other day and they had a pretty good deal running on the MSR hubba hubba tents.

Granny,
After checking one over, I was less than thrilled with it. Not that it was a bad tent, just think I could wait and spend $50 more and have a great tent. I am leaning toward either a Marmot Limelight 2, REI Half Dome 2, Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2, or a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2. However, I think the Limelight 2 is leading because of the combination of footprint, value, weight, and features.

I also checked out various packs today at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports. They had a couple Gregory Z55's on sale that were very tempting, but the Osprey Kestrel 48 and Osprey Exos 46 were very nice too. I think a 45 to 50 L pack will be sufficient. Most of my gear, although it is not ultralight is still lightweight, and very compressible. So, I don't think I need a 65L pack for 3 season backpacking. I am going to take all my gear over to the store and put it all in a pack and see which one holds it best and is still flexible and comfortable.

duckypaddler
09-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Ha I am there with you on the breaks. I've broken my superfine once, once my fault, and a G. Loomis once. Thank goodness for good warranties!

I'd be glad to make another.

I got back from an 8 day trip in the Yellowstone/Absaroka area and the fluorescent lamp guard tube work exceptionally well. I'm hard on my gear as well, and I never felt like I had to baby it. They come with a top as well, which is nice. I just pair that with the rod sleeve to stop rattle. A sock wrapped around the rod works well too.
If you need to contact me my email is mpd1690 (at) gmail (dot) com

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean by recipes, but if you mean kits, Backpacking Light has a lot of good lists to glean info from. Its free for the forum, just some articles require membership.

When I first looked at BPL all I saw was the paid articles, and thought that is what you needed to get on the fourms also. I found all the info (plus lots more) and appreciate you guys turning me that way.

I am glad to report I have reduced my pack weight significantly. It was over 45 pounds, and is now just under 20:biggrin:

While I had to make some compromises such as wearing in my boots, and ditching the fly vest, and thermarest chair, I should still be in total comfort. I'm sure the lack of the "haul" will make the trip more enjoyable.

JayB
09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I finished getting my pack ready for next weekend, and WITH food, I'm at 19.7 lbs. And that is with no super-expensive fancy ultralight equipment. Sacrificed some things, but its going to be completely worth it.

Mac
09-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Duckpaddler and JayB,

I am impressed by your pack weights and realize that I have included a couple items that I think you chose not to include in your packing list.

1. I include waders @ 2 lbs 2 ounces for my earily spring and fall trips. That's what happens when you get older and more tender. :redface:

2. I still carry my wader boots @ 2 lbs 13 ounces and use hiking shoes for my trip into the backcountry. That's what happens when you get older and more tender. :frown:

So if i add lets say another 5 pounds for my extras to your 20 pound total, that gets me at 25 pounds that seems really good to me.

My question is are you including food and water in your weight totals and how many days of food are you carrying.

Something i use that you might find interesting after hiking and fishing all day in your wader boots. Sprint Aquatics Mens nylon mesh shoes. Weights 4 ozs and costs $4.95. Will not last forever and wont win any fashion shows but for the cost and weight you might find interesting after wearing those boots all day. :cool:

www . sprintaquatics . com

JayB
09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I've heard about those Mac, didn't realize they were so cheap, I'll have to try those. As for camp shoes, I either take flip-flops, my five-fingers (which are good for hiking in as well if I dont want to wear felt wading boots), or just go barefoot at camp. My 19.7 lbs does include 4 lbs of food for a 4 day trip. It does not include water, since we are going to be near water the entire trip, I tend to drink at breaks, and then carry the bottle empty, or with just a very little water in it. No point in carrying it when I'm going to be surrounded by it.
I am taking wading boots for this next trip, but Ill be wearing them the whole trip until the last few miles, so I didnt figure them into my carried weight.
If this next trip weren't offtrail, I wouldnt be nearly so concerned with weight and pack size, but it has been fun stripping my pack to its bare essentials this trip.

RFork
09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
When I first looked at BPL all I saw was the paid articles, and thought that is what you needed to get on the fourms also. I found all the info (plus lots more) and appreciate you guys turning me that way.

I am glad to report I have reduced my pack weight significantly. It was over 45 pounds, and is now just under 20:biggrin:

While I had to make some compromises such as wearing in my boots, and ditching the fly vest, and thermarest chair, I should still be in total comfort. I'm sure the lack of the "haul" will make the trip more enjoyable.

That is a very good reduction. I have gotten mine down significantly, and the compromises you are making will be a joy on the trail.

Who knows, you may go crazy like I have and get down to a 5 to 8 pound baseweight! :biggrin:

duckypaddler
09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
That is a very good reduction. I have gotten mine down significantly, and the compromises you are making will be a joy on the trail.

Who knows, you may go crazy like I have and get down to a 5 to 8 pound baseweight! :biggrin:

Yeah, I could see that happening:biggrin:

If the weather is nice, I might ditch my tent & take just the floor & rainfly and save another pound. I've already starting going pretty nutty. If I had some more money right now, I think I would buy a z pack backpack and save almost another 2. If rain is unlikely I may also ditch the 5x7 tarp, and save another 3/4 pound by the times you add the line & stakes. I think I may have caught something:redface:.

My complete fishing set-up is right around a pound and a half. That was the weight of my fly jacket alone, and the rod carrier was 18oz:eek:. I think 6+ pounds of weight reduction is attributed less fishing gear. Now all I have is: My Wal-mart $6 ultralight backpack (3.7 oz) so I still have room to carry water, rain gear, first aid,lunch, etc, A pair of nippers on a zinger, A set of small hemos, a bottle of Frog's Fanny that I attached a 2.5 inch of weed eater line with some electrical tape so that I could hang it off the chest strap. A small foam orvis fly box full of dries & nymphs, 3 pack of liters, spool of 5X, micro container full of gink, a zip lock bag creel, and a $1 walmart knife, and a small pill container that has yarn and a few indicators. I am still carrying the reel in its case, and made a tube holder for my TFO:biggrin:

RFork
09-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I could see that happening:biggrin:

If the weather is nice, I might ditch my tent & take just the floor & rainfly and save another pound. I've already starting going pretty nutty. If I had some more money right now, I think I would buy a z pack backpack and save almost another 2. If rain is unlikely I may also ditch the 5x7 tarp, and save another 3/4 pound by the times you add the line & stakes. I think I may have caught something:redface:.

My complete fishing set-up is right around a pound and a half. That was the weight of my fly jacket alone, and the rod carrier was 18oz:eek:. I think 6+ pounds of weight reduction is attributed less fishing gear. Now all I have is: My Wal-mart $6 ultralight backpack (3.7 oz) so I still have room to carry water, rain gear, first aid,lunch, etc, A pair of nippers on a zinger, A set of small hemos, a bottle of Frog's Fanny that I attached a 2.5 inch of weed eater line with some electrical tape so that I could hang it off the chest strap. A small foam orvis fly box full of dries & nymphs, 3 pack of liters, spool of 5X, micro container full of gink, a zip lock bag creel, and a $1 walmart knife, and a small pill container that has yarn and a few indicators. I am still carrying the reel in its case, and made a tube holder for my TFO:biggrin:

Sounds like you have the right idea! I recently made a new pack and a new fishing lanyard pouch that mount together. I used to not carry anything to keep my fishing gear in, just my pockets, but after an incident in Yellowstone of having my fly box pop out of my pocket. I used it the other day just doing some fishing and it worked great for me.

Hard to beat 6 dollars for a 3.7 ounce pack. Sounds like you have a pretty good ultralight fishing setup.

Also, those ZPack packs are supposed to be really nice. I have talked to their owner via email and he is a nice guy. I buy some of my material from there. I use the same cuben that he uses (as I get it from him) and it really is great stuff. Everyone I've shown the raw material to is extremely impressed by its durability. Everything I've heard is that Zpacks make excellent gear.

duckypaddler
09-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Duckpaddler and JayB,

I am impressed by your pack weights and realize that I have included a couple items that I think you chose not to include in your packing list.

1. I include waders @ 2 lbs 2 ounces for my earily spring and fall trips. That's what happens when you get older and more tender. :redface:

2. I still carry my wader boots @ 2 lbs 13 ounces and use hiking shoes for my trip into the backcountry. That's what happens when you get older and more tender. :frown:

So if i add lets say another 5 pounds for my extras to your 20 pound total, that gets me at 25 pounds that seems really good to me.

My question is are you including food and water in your weight totals and how many days of food are you carrying.

Something i use that you might find interesting after hiking and fishing all day in your wader boots. Sprint Aquatics Mens nylon mesh shoes. Weights 4 ozs and costs $4.95. Will not last forever and wont win any fashion shows but for the cost and weight you might find interesting after wearing those boots all day. :cool:

www . sprintaquatics . com

I just made a sheet - I'm up to 22 - I have been looking for a extra shoe idea and might just take your suggestion:biggrin:

Back pack – Dueter Futura Zero 40 - 51 oz
Sleeping Pad – Thermarest Neo-Air 25x2.5x long - 19 oz
Tent – Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 – 47 oz (27 oz if I leave tent body at home)
Down Jacket – Patagonia Down sweater jacket – 13.1 oz
Stove – Trail Designs & AGG Caldera kitchen – 17.6 oz (includes 5 oz alcohol)
Rain Jacket – Montane Light speed H2O – 6 oz with sack
Rain Pants – Mont Bell – 10.1 oz with sack
Sleeping Bag – Western Mountaineering Linelite – 15.1 oz with sack
GPS – Garmin Etrex Hcx – 5.2 oz
Camera – Pentax Optio – 5.7 oz
Steripen – 5.5 oz
I-phone waterproof case & water proof headphones – 4.1 oz
I-phone – 5.3 oz
2 pair extra socks – 6.6 oz
Wal-Mart daypack – 3.7 oz
Rod in case – 6.6 oz
Reel in case – 7 oz
Ziploc with rest fishing stuff – 5.7 oz
Fly Box with all flies – 1.9 oz
Fleece hat + Polypro gloves – 2.8 oz
5x7 Tarp with rope & stakes – 12.7 oz
Camo fishing shirt – 8.8 oz
Underwear – 2.2 oz
MSR Packtowl - 2.4 oz
Kokatat Insulation shirt – 8 oz
First Aid Kit – 2.1 oz
Petzl headlamp – 2.8 oz
Toilet paper biodegradable – 1.1 oz
Lexan fork & spoon - .7 oz
Duct tape – 1 oz
Extra batteries for headlamp, GPS & Steripen – 2.9 oz
Small Gerber Knife - .5 oz
Soap, sanitizer, and insect repellent in small containers – 1.7 oz
Small lighter - .4 oz
Recharger for I-phone (was $7 online shipped) – 1.9 oz
Carabineer for bear hang - .2 oz
Whistle - .7 oz
Stuff sacks – 3.2 oz

282 / 16 = 17.625 pounds Base weight (should have deducted fuel)

2 full water bottles - 36.2 oz

Swiss Miss – Marshmallow lovers 1.1 oz
3 fruit leathers – 1.7 oz
2 packs cookies - 4.1 oz

3 granola bars – 2.8 oz
Tea & Coffee packs - .6 oz
Sugar pack (lots) – 1.1 oz
PBJ –
Taco dinner –
Bacon & Hash browns –

20.6 total plus around another pound and a half for food I haven’t weighed so right at 22.

Realtyman
09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks! Ducky finally gave up the list. I have been waiting for someone to post theirs. I would like to know more about ultra-light rod tubes for packing it in. Thanks, Curtis

duckypaddler
09-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks! Ducky finally gave up the list. I have been waiting for someone to post theirs. I would like to know more about ultra-light rod tubes for packing it in. Thanks, Curtis

I couldn't find a recipe either. Just go to Home Depot in the lighting aisle and pick you up a clear plasitic Bulb protector for a flourescent bulb. Tape one end closed with electrical tape. Cut tube to length of rod, and slip rod n there. If you really picky put a little foam on each end and use second cap for a top. Holder weighs only 2 oz:smile: 6.6, by the time you add my rod and the TFO cloth holder

RFork
09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
I couldn't find a recipe either. Just go to Home Depot in the lighting aisle and pick you up a clear plasitic Bulb protector for a flourescent bulb. Tape one end closed with electrical tape. Cut tube to length of rod, and slip rod n there. If you really picky put a little foam on each end and use second cap for a top. Holder weighs only 2 oz:smile: 6.6, by the time you add my rod and the TFO cloth holder

That is a very good recipe. Sand paper helps to smooth the top edge out.

This is my gear list. I had to assume some weights, as my I took my scale back Memphis and left it.

This would be for a typical weekend trip. I am sure I left some things out, but the big things are there. Any weight I carry would fluctuate around that weight, depending on conditions and trip goal (fishing or not). No Consumables listed, as it is never constant for me.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=4354

duckypaddler
09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
That is a very good recipe. Sand paper helps to smooth the top edge out.

This is my gear list. I had to assume some weights, as my I took my scale back Memphis and left it.

This would be for a typical weekend trip. I am sure I left some things out, but the big things are there. Any weight I carry would fluctuate around that weight, depending on conditions and trip goal (fishing or not). No Consumables listed, as it is never constant for me.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=4354

That's a real nice list. It shows the true separation between me (just now lightweight) and you (true ultralight):smile:

Depending on weather and after looking at my list publically I will most likely ditch the following (unless weather is bad)

Tent body - save 20 oz
Rain pants - save 10.1
Tarp, etc - save 12.7
Packtowel - save 2.4 oz
Duct tape - save 1 oz
recharger - save 1.9

I will add the trash compactor bag and toothbrush:smile:

And for the tube I just put the cut side of tube down and taped it off so top has a factory finish;)

Thanks for all your help

RFork
09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
That's a real nice list. It shows the true separation between me (just now lightweight) and you (true ultralight):smile:

Depending on weather and after looking at my list publically I will most likely ditch the following (unless weather is bad)

Tent body - save 20 oz
Rain pants - save 10.1
Tarp, etc - save 12.7
Packtowel - save 2.4 oz
Duct tape - save 1 oz
recharger - save 1.9

I will add the trash compactor bag and toothbrush:smile:

And for the tube I just put the cut side of tube down and taped it off so top has a factory finish;)

Thanks for all your help

No problem at all.

Mac
09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Duckpaddler and JayB,

You two are going to have an incredible trip, wish i was going with you. Be safe and take some good pictures. ;)

This extra rain we have had could really make your trip an excellent time.

JayB
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Mac, I'm pretty stoked about this trip. Its going to be one **** of an adventure thats for sure. I'll figure out some way of getting some pics posted.

Chuckwalla
09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I've made few tube from Butyrate tubing, works great and very light.

Get the cap too.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22858&catid=841

Realtyman
09-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the link Chuckwalla. That looks more like what I am looking for. It did take me a few minutes to break the code on all the measurements :) Do you like the 1/16" wall thickness, or will the 1/32" be strong enough not to crush when strapped down to a pack?

I am measuring the inside diameter of some factory tubes, but I think I can get by with even smaller tubes than they are. What inside diameter are you using for your rods, lets say a 4 piece rod in a 3 or 4 weight? Other examples are welcome as well. Thanks

Chuckwalla
09-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I prefer the 1/16th, OD 2" for my 3wt. Measure at the first (largest) guide.

mattblick
09-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I prefer the 1/16th, OD 2" for my 3wt. Measure at the first (largest) guide.

Would that be this item?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=27239&catid=841

It said it is sold in 6 foot lengths, so by ordering qty. one do you get 6 feet or do you need to put in qty. 6 for 6 feet?

Thanks!
-Matt-

P.S. I just dropped pack weight by picking up a new Big Agnes Lynx Pass1 (http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/LynxPass1). At 3.5 pounds it isn't the lightest by any stretch, but it is the roomiest 1 man tent I have ever sat in (22 square feet plus 9 square foot vestibule.). It is essentially a slightly bigger version of the Copper Spur 1, but made out of sturdier, less expensive materials.

P.P.S. For those of you who are now carrying a steripen instead of a pump filter; I recently found their Water Bottle Prefilter (http://www.steripen.com/pre-filter) which I will use instead of the Fitsall Prefilter (http://www.steripen.com/fitsall). It is a bit lighter than the fitsall, but more importantly the bottle's threads are covered during the "dunk" (they are exposed with the fitsall). No more worries about contamination of the threads. :cool:

Chuckwalla
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
That's it. QTY 1 will get you six feet. They will "round" you up to the min qty.

mattblick
10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
That's it. QTY 1 will get you six feet. They will "round" you up to the min qty.

Thanks Chuckwalla, ordered a tube yesterday, since they are in Ohio hopefully it will arrive by Wednesday for my trip down. (I have been using the flo. light bulb tubes).

mattblick
10-03-2011, 11:02 PM
US Plastic shipped very fast, new light rod tube arrived today..

Comparing the Butyrate tube to the fluorescent bulb tube - the butyrate is going to provide significantly better protection. With the light bulb tube, I knew if I set my pack down the wrong way, the light bulb tube would provide no protection. The butyrate barely compresses when I squeeze hard with both hands; it will provide protection from the pack weight.

The extra protection comes at a cost of ~6 ounces; 8 ounces for butyrate tube vs. 2 ounces for fluorescent bulb tube. The extra weight is a no brainer - worth it to me.

lexfly
10-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I may have missed this but what do you use for caps on the ends of the Butyrate tube or does it come with them? I used a flourescent tube light tube and had no problems but I wasn't very confident in its strength.

Mundele
10-04-2011, 11:34 PM
US Plastic shipped very fast, new light rod tube arrived today..

Comparing the Butyrate tube to the fluorescent bulb tube - the butyrate is going to provide significantly better protection. With the light bulb tube, I knew if I set my pack down the wrong way, the light bulb tube would provide no protection. The butyrate barely compresses when I squeeze hard with both hands; it will provide protection from the pack weight.

The extra protection comes at a cost of ~6 ounces; 8 ounces for butyrate tube vs. 2 ounces for fluorescent bulb tube. The extra weight is a no brainer - worth it to me.

What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...

Crockett
10-05-2011, 08:43 AM
What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...

I was just testing it :smile:

Mundele
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I was just testing it :smile:

Test with your own pack/rod.... Not mine

mattblick
10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
I may have missed this but what do you use for caps on the ends of the Butyrate tube or does it come with them? I used a flourescent tube light tube and had no problems but I wasn't very confident in its strength.

The caps are sold separately, but are cheap..

The minimum 6 foot length tube and 4 end caps totaled $24.02 for me. (I paid $1.47 tax since it is in state).

I ordered the following item numbers:
42133 6 Foot Tube 1-7/8" x 2" x 1/16" Tenite Butyrate Tubing - $16.68
42107 (4x) 2" ID Poly-E Cap For Tenite Tube-Pak; 1" Inside($.22 ea) - $0.88

-Matt-

p.s. On a similar note, I pulled out a scales and noticed I could drop 2.5 ounces by leaving the rod sock behind. I will be putting the rod straight into the tube. I had been using the sock with the fluorescent tube so I will now only be 3.5 ounces heavier..

lexfly
10-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks. I will be getting that in the near future.