PDA

View Full Version : Caney Drifting information

DBKSTONE2
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
I was thinking about drifting the Caney under one generator. What is the fishing like (historically) and did anyone have any issues with a drift boat. I will be going from the Dam to Happy.

Thanks,

DBK

Maglite
08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
DBK,
With one generator running the water is moving pretty good but it is manageable in a boat. The float should not take too long in a drifter, but the fishing is good to go. Pick a good line and fish streamers along the banks and in the cover. Use something with a lot of flash and get it down quick. Use an aggressive retrieve and you will get some great strikes. Good luck out there and stay safe.

- Maglite

Rainbow Warrior
08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Maglite pretty much has it all covered. Its very easy, you just have to make sure that you dont get closed to any logs because that will gwt real dangerous reall fast. The float doesn't take more than 5 hours most of the time for me. Bright colored streamers are good for banging the banks, but I've caught some real nice fish with a white marabou jig with a dropper pink san juan worm fished VERY deep. (Indicator about 8-10 feet from your flies) This works pretty well drifted along structure, but you have to be careful or else you'll get lots of snags...Good luck!

David Knapp
08-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Main thing is to have whoever is rowing keep the boat at a reasonable speed. Keep the boat slow and work the bank...hit every 5 feet or so with your streamer, focusing on structure and you should pick up some fish...sinking lines and unweighted streamers...

DBKSTONE2
09-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks folks. I am eager to get some seasoning on the Caney before I try the SOHO.

Rockyraccoon
09-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Man, that sounds like fun.

Nothing like ringing doorbells to see whose home, and who isn't afraid to come to the door. I always tell folks it's like selling vacuums. You've got to knock on every door, sometime's they'll see you coming and not answer. But sometimes you'll find one that's hungry.......um, I mean has a dirty floor.