PDA

View Full Version : Smoky's Stream Levels

Rainbow Warrior
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm headed up the this weekend and was just wondering if anyone knows how the water levels have been on the small streams. I'll be fishing the NC side at noland creek and possibly might try forney too.

joe a
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Very low and clear on Forney last week. Still fishable, but the takes are very lazy.

Crockett
08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Too low for my taste but you will still have fun. Pretty much now the streams are at 2007-2008 drought levels but the difference is they just got there versus staying for months like before. Hopefully they will get recharged once it cools down and we start getting some rain again.

fearnofishbob
08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
The fish haven't gone anywhere.........we just have change our game plan.....rain is forecast for Sunday and more on Monday up to about a 70% chance........tight lines

Teddyp
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Fished a few NC side streams Saturday and the water is the lowest i've seen in a few years. Very spooky, but managed to pick up 6 or so on small emergers.

pineman19
09-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Great looking blog TeddyP.

Neal

flyred06
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I am headed up tommorow also. So I find this great info. What about around elkmont?

fearnofishbob
09-03-2011, 10:04 PM
I just got a glance of the weather chanels forecast for the mountains of WNC and they are calling for 6"-10" of rain possible Monday and Tuesday ( the 5th and 6th ) of next week......... looks like our low water problems are about to be solved

duckypaddler
09-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I bet we will watch this post from complaining about no water to complaining about too much.

BTW Raven still has plenty of water for fishing - It's low - but good to go:biggrin: You guys need to read your USGS guages. Straight Fork looked pretty good also.

pineman19
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I bet we will watch this post from complaining about no water to complaining about too much.

BTW Raven still has plenty of water for fishing - It's low - but good to go:biggrin: You guys need to read your USGS guages. Straight Fork looked pretty good also.

Hey, I have no doubt that the upper Greenbriar is decent as well and Cataloochee gauge is terrible for this time of year. I don't have a link for the Straight Fork gauge, would you be willing to post it?

Neal

pineman19
09-04-2011, 11:29 AM
I am headed up tommorow also. So I find this great info. What about around elkmont?

flyred, IMO the "plunge pool" streams are better during low water levels. Greenbriar, WPLP, Roaring Fork, even then it's best to head upstream. If I was fishing Little River I would hike several miles above the campground. Deep Creek is another option if you hike several miles above the campground. I did well there several years ago during the drought, but I was 3+ miles above the trailhead.

Neal

duckypaddler
09-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey, I have no doubt that the upper Greenbriar is decent as well and Cataloochee gauge is terrible for this time of year. I don't have a link for the Straight Fork gauge, would you be willing to post it?

Neal

Neal I'm sure you are right about other places still being good to go. I hate it that the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon in Sevierville went offline so now you must use the TVA flows, which just gives you last reading, and no graph (what you really need to predict to hit the bubble of water for kayaking, and miss it for fishing:frown:). I guess it's better than nothing:smile:

While unfortunately there is no direct guage on Straight Fork, you can usualy figure it out by using this guage.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03512000

With the total cfs yesterday of whole Tremont & Little River watersheds equaled only a 1/4 of the Ocoluftee, I figured Raven's had to contribute about 20% of that which meant that Raven's had more water (Once Tremont watershed is deducted from Little reading) than the Little;)

Saw lots of fisherman after hiking back on Hyatt Ridge, anyone from this fourm?

pineman19
09-04-2011, 12:37 PM
duckypaddler,

I need to head up to Raven and Enloe before I get much older. I'll probably end up going solo. Is Enloe as hard to fish as the Upper Greenbriar or harder, terrain wise that is?

Neal

Mac
09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
duckypaddler,

I need to head up to Raven and Enloe before I get much older.

Neal

It is already to late for me, should have went sooner. I went with Duckypaddler yesterday and all I can says is "Dead Man Walking." :cool:

Rainbow Warrior
09-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I didn't end up going into the smokies, but fished a blue line I found instead. The water was low, but it rained a few times as I was fishing. I had by far my best small stream day!

duckypaddler
09-04-2011, 04:01 PM
duckypaddler,

I need to head up to Raven and Enloe before I get much older. I'll probably end up going solo. Is Enloe as hard to fish as the Upper Greenbriar or harder, terrain wise that is?

Neal

Enloe is much smaller than Upper Greenbrier. Not sure if you are referring to the section up to the turnaround or above to Buck Fork. If you are comfortable on Road Prong (adding the hike) you should be fine:smile:. I don't remember anything being sketchy, but I spend alot of time crawling up streams.

If you don't want to go solo, I can always be easily talked into going up there:smile:

iamcolby
09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
It is already to late for me, should have went sooner. I went with Duckypaddler yesterday and all I can says is "Dead Man Walking." :cool:

Yes, you are getting old and your Kung-fu is weak!

flyred06
09-04-2011, 07:43 PM
just got in from the mounains. went to tremont and it was ok. caught some fish and saw several nicer trout in deeper water but due to some really rude people coming down on me and throwing rocks in my pool no hook ups. but if this water levels continue then roaring fork was also nice and these would be my suggestions by what i saw.

helix149
09-06-2011, 12:23 AM
This may not help many but it should help some that just want a quik way to check stream levels. If the update time is more than an hour that usually means there is a drastic change one way or the other in flow also if you click on a link and go inside then you can click on another to get to a graph which sometimes is helpful. But I will let you figure all that out.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/TN/

Crockett
09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Geez the little river is blown out way too high to fish now!

Hehe just wanted to kick it off right.

Teddyp
09-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks Neal!