PDA

View Full Version : Late September Flies

lexfly
09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Planning a trip the w/e of 9/24 and wanted to get some advice on what flies I need to get. I have the green weenie, but have read about some others (barbie fly?, neversink caddis?) that I don't know about. What should I take for my yearly trip? Thanks!

duckypaddler
09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Usually things go from yellow to orange this time of year:smile:.

I saw nice sized stone flies (I would guess between size 8 to 10), crawfish, a bunch of the Isochara (horrible spelling little black flies), and worms in a tanish yellow, white, and green in Rainbow Stomach contents this past weekend.

I have seen orange mayflies on all 3 of my last trips.

I'm sure others here can give better suggestions

pineman19
09-06-2011, 10:16 PM
lexfly,

You didn't say what kind of waters of you would be fishing, but I agree with DP on the dries, never hurts to have some parachute adams, gray and yellow body even this late in the summer season. I would have some nymphs as droppers, BHPT, Tellicos, and some soft hackle wet flies, orange or yellow bodies.

Good luck,

Neal

fearnofishbob
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I have always had great luck in September/October with a white weenie. I have a fellow tie these for me as I haven't seen any of them in any flyshops. They are identical to the greenies ...only white.........Hope you do well !!
Every fall I see some small wooly worms that are white on the banks and trees while I'm fishing and I had a friend tie some for me patterned after the greenie. Works for me

tnflyfisher
09-07-2011, 10:18 AM
never hurts to have some parachute adams, gray and yellow body even this late in the summer season.

I agree...
Sure seemed to work this past weekend. Found the brooks really picky and skittish with the low water and they almost ignored the dries I was throwing but they liked the BH soft hackles and green weenies droppers. Tie on an adams and they just seem to come to them like moths to a flame... It took about 5 casts with the adams on another creek and I had a nice 10" brown to hand... ;)

Tight Lines,

lexfly
09-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Pineman. We are going to hazel creek, staying at bone valley. I hope to hike up high one day so I can catch some brookies. I've never heard of a white weenie, I may try to tie something like that before we go. Thanks for all the info!

pineman19
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Pineman. We are going to hazel creek, staying at bone valley. I hope to hike up high one day so I can catch some brookies. I've never heard of a white weenie, I may try to tie something like that before we go. Thanks for all the info!

Lexfly,

I haven't fished Hazel, but I would take some nymphs to try for some of the larger browns that can be caught in that stream.

Neal

lexfly
09-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't get to the mtns much these days so I want to make the best of it. Will report back.

Knothead
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
My go-to fly for year around is the tan Elk Hair Caddis. I have had great success with it in the Park. Either it is real good or the fish are not too smart.

flyman
09-12-2011, 09:18 PM
It's time for the October Caddis. It's one of the larger caddis, maybe a size 8=10. It is also unique in that the pupa leave their cases and will be available to the fish for a couple of days before they hatch.

fearnofishbob
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Hazel Creek has a large population of big browns....my best on the stream was 16" but I have seen some that were considerably larger and some of my friends have scored above 20". My brown came on a nymph but I'm not sure what the other guys were using....probably garden hackle..

Scott H.
09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Flyman. I saw your October Caddis on your web page.

Do you tie these, and would you sell them?

That is a fine looking fly.

Scott

Grannyknot
09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Flyman. I saw your October Caddis on your web page.

Do you tie these, and would you sell them?

That is a fine looking fly.

Scott

Flyman has a webpage!?!?
Whats the address?
He's been holding out on us.

lexfly
09-13-2011, 02:43 PM
What would be a good imitation of the pupae stage of the October Caddis? I've hooked some nice fish on Hazel but never landed them. I blame the 3 wt.:smile: Hopefully I'll have better luck this time

Scott H.
09-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Flyman has a webpage!?!?
Whats the address?
He's been holding out on us.

"Home"page

tnflyfisher
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Not to turn this thread in a different direction but... with "late September flies" comes the Fall season and then "October flies" and spawning browns... :biggrin: I have never fished Hazel Creek but it has always sounded like it would be worth while. What other streams and patterns would you all recommend for Sept./Oct. fishing for some of these bigger browns? Not asking for your specific top secret locations, just in general. I have not fished the park for very long and there is just so much water to cover... I have only ever fished around Tremont and above Elkmont.