PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay while fishing

AL trout bum
09-07-2011, 08:21 PM
You guys have any recommendations on good/cheap places to stay around the Townsend area? I wanted to camp, but the girlfriend is afraid a bear will eat her so I have been charged with finding a cabin or hotel. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Matt

fishndoc
09-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Dock's Motel is just about the perfect fisherman's motel: rustic charm, clean, cheap, and always lots of interesting characters staying there to talk with in the evening while sitting out front enjoying the cool mountain air.

http://www.docksmotel.com/

BlueRaiderFan
09-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Do not go to Treemont Campground (last campground on the left before you enter the park from Townsend). They do not have a pool. They do not have inexpensive cabins with satellite TV. They do not have a small store on ground and a fishable run next to the property. They do not have hot showers if you tent camp or get a primative cabin (one primative cabin is right next to the pool and showers/toilet...ask for it...about $65 a night or $85 if you want one with a bathroom and kitchenette). They do not have a pool table and game room. Nope don't go there. ;)

AL trout bum
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will look into them. Except for Treemont! ;)

duckypaddler
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I spend at least a day a week in the Smokies, and always hear people talking about this "Tree"mont place. It must be pretty special if you guys aren't willing to share it with the rest of us. I'm guessing it must be close to the "Ravens" Fork, as I've been looking for that place for some time as well, search maps, but still can't find it.

I guess I should just be content that I finally found Momma Coons resting place.

Just you morning dose of sarcasm to put in that coffee:biggrin:

Grannyknot
09-08-2011, 10:28 AM
It is the last campground, on the left, as you are entering the park from townsend. Sometimes it is hard to see for all the smoke coming from trash/leaf fires burning in the fire pits.

BlueRaiderFan
09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I spend at least a day a week in the Smokies, and always hear people talking about this "Tree"mont place. It must be pretty special if you guys aren't willing to share it with the rest of us. I'm guessing it must be close to the "Ravens" Fork, as I've been looking for that place for some time as well, search maps, but still can't find it.

I guess I should just be content that I finally found Momma Coons resting place.

Just you morning dose of sarcasm to put in that coffee:biggrin:

Ah...TREmont! Dang spell checker in my head don't work :biggrin:

AL trout bum
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Any of you regulars to Docs or Tremont know what there prices are? I could call, but thought I'd check here first. I looked at the websites for the cabins and I don't like seeing $60 "AND UP." That "and up" part can getcha everytime!:eek:

BlueRaiderFan
09-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I may be off by a few dollars but at "Tremont Hills Campground" (I think I have it right this time :eek:) the rustic cabins (no kitchen, no bathroom no fireplace and with bunkbeds no double bed) the night is around $65. The next cabin up is around $85 a night and has a kitchenette and bathroom but no fireplace. The next one up is around $100 a night and has a fireplace and is just a touch bigger. If on a budget I would get the one in the middle OR...get the primative but ask for the one that's close to the group bath/shower rooms (and the pool but it may be closed now...don't know). If I recal correctly Docs is about $85 a night.

SmokyMt4runner
09-09-2011, 01:04 AM
If you are going to be anywhere near $100...Look at the Hilton Garden Inn in Gburg. Bout a half mile to the park... On river Rd off the parkway....nice and quiet......

Plus....i hear the bartender will give you some great advise.

Im just sayin.......

Jim

fishndoc
09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Any of you regulars to Docs or Tremont know what there prices are? I could call, but thought I'd check here first. I looked at the websites for the cabins and I don't like seeing $60 "AND UP." That "and up" part can getcha everytime!:eek:
Last time I stayed at Docks, I believe it was $43. It was a weekday in the off-season, so don't know about now.

My wife is pretty picky, but she even like's it. Says its the only "rustic" place she's seen that is also really clean.

mattblick
09-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I have stayed at both Valley View Lodge and Docks in Townsend, and both are fine places to stay.

I was at Dock's in August with the family and we stayed in the "big cabin". My wife liked how it was rustic but super clean. They also have stream side cabins and cabins with hot tubs for a bit more. The basic rooms are really nice also and I believe just $55 a night around now.

Ethan in the store recommended Docks to me and said to ask for the Fisherman's discount. When I told Sharron the owner about his recommendation, she said that her 'Christmas cookie bribes' must still be working.

I believe a room at Valley View lodge might be 5 bucks cheaper than Docks if you look old, as they seem to give my Father-In-Law a really steep discount when he checks in compared to me (though of course he claims it is because he is better looking). Most of the rooms have decent porches or back decks. The grounds around the place are really nice to boot.