PDA

View Full Version : Slickrock creek

flyfishnsleep
09-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, anybody fished slickrock creek lately?

JayB
09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
went couple of weeks ago. Water super low. Caught nothing but shiners. Big shiners tho'.

Probably good again since the rain.

fearnofishbob
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Low and clear the last time I was there....The recent rains have probably helped and you should do well.........Go get'em

duckypaddler
09-09-2011, 05:05 PM
More shiners than one could handle. If someone want a place to have a 100+ fish day - here you go:biggrin: Can I call it a Slickrock Creek slam if I catch Shiners, Rainbow, and a Brown? The thing that freaked me out last time I went was a rattlesnake within 2 feet of my head when on the trail sitting on a branch.

I ment to write up a report, but never had the time.

Pics: http://www.duckypaddler.com/slickrock-creek-6-18-2011.html

James

pineman19
09-09-2011, 08:30 PM
More shiners than one could handle. If someone want a place to have a 100+ fish day - here you go:biggrin: Can I call it a Slickrock Creek slam if I catch Shiners, Rainbow, and a Brown? The thing that freaked me out last time I went was a rattlesnake within 2 feet of my head when on the trail sitting on a branch.

I ment to write up a report, but never had the time.

Pics: http://www.duckypaddler.com/slickrock-creek-6-18-2011.html

James

Duckypaddler,

Man, that snake is nasty, would totally freak me out to have a rattler at head level:eek: BTW, you have a nice wife, letting you sick a trout on her like that:rolleyes:

Neal

fearnofishbob
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Slickrock has long been know for it's population ( over population ) of rattlesnakes. As long back as I can remember, 40 + years this has always been an issue in that area...... When I go I'm always vigulant for these guys almost to the point of not going back again.....

BigMax
09-11-2011, 07:35 PM
went in late june...just like everyone else...lots of shiners....2 small but colorfull bows.....decent smallie in the last falls into calderwood

flyfishnsleep
09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I ended up going over to deep creek instead, hiked up near campsite 59. It was beautiful up there, caught quite a few fish too, mostly browns. Caught a few nice rainbows, the girlfriend's camera has seen better days and wasn't cooperating so no pictures :frown:. It was an awesome trip ad I'll be going back up there again. Slickrock is still on my list, hopefully I'll make it out there soon, I've been wanting to fish it for awhile. For future planning purposes, what section of the stream do you guys think fishes the best?

Rebel
09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
As hard as it is to get to slickrock it's not worth the rouble for catching a few shiners.

FishNHunt
09-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Fall. Wait until fall and the browns are running up to spawn. Also, buy a N.C. hunting license and carry a pistol and kill every otter you see. That's the only thing that's changed (that I've been told) in the years since Slick rock was once a remarkable place. I've fished slickrock several times and although it's a beautiful place to see the fishing is dismal at best. It is one of the "fishiest" looking streams you will fish but, it's all but devoid of fish albeit some guys have had limited success on the "perfect" days but, I've yet to have one of those days. I am in those mountains and woods about as much as anyone and I've yet to have any rattler problems but, the one in the tree creeps me out. They don't bother me in the least on the ground but, that's just an unfair advantage if they are in a tree. :eek:

JayB
10-06-2011, 09:28 AM
How crowded will Slickrock creek be with the bear hunters next weekend ( 14th and 15th, season starts 17th)? I wasn't sure if the hunters stayed mostly at the drive up campsites like on the side of snowbird, or if they would be at the hike in sites along Slickrock as well. I wanted to get the boys out, as well as my dog this time, though I'll probably leave by big black lab at home. Any info would be appreciated.

Jay

Knothead
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
You might consider wearing flourescent orange during hunting season.