PDA

View Full Version : Forney Creek Campsite Question

Younger Tom
09-15-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm headed into Forney Creek Wed-Friday next week and I'm planning on staying at either Jonas Creek (70) or Huggins (69) campsites. Huggins gets good mention in Kenneth Wise's book and no horses are allowed like at Jonas Creek. I'm hiking in from the tunnel (I got Old Tom to drop me off & pick me up). I've stayed at one of them before, but it was so long ago that I don't recall much about the creek there other than the fact that Forney was pretty steep and the fishing was good. Rutter seems to think the best fishing is below Huggins and there a several feeders of interest below there. Is it worth it to hike into Huggins if I have to backtrack to fish? Is it that much nicer?

joe a
09-15-2011, 08:33 AM
My son and I camped at 69 a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice site with lots of spots to set up. I did not get to fish much, but my catch rate was good. We hiked in from Clingman's so I cannot comment on the difference between 70 and 69, but I will say that there was a good bit of bear activity around 69. We saw a mother and cub less than .25 miles from camp and another adult on the hike out. 68 is closed due to aggressive bear activity and so I think bear spray is warranted in the area.

NDuncan
09-15-2011, 10:21 AM
From staying at both 69 and 70 in may, I would suggest that 69 is the nicer campsite. Also it seemed that the fishing above 69 was better than the fishing between 70 and 69, with the fishing acting more like fish on lower pressure stream. Around campsite 70, both above and below it seemed like you got one shot at the fish before they were spooked... one slap, one hook, or one catch whatever, after that you pretty much had to move on because they were good and spooked.

I'm surprised that 68 ended up closed this year. In may there was a bear warning at clingman's done and we saw a bear up there in the parking lot when we started the hike down, when we got to 68, we found a lot of trash - mainly food wrappers around the fire rings.

From the description, i would say it is more likely you were at 69, as it starts to get more steep around there. I didn't fish on huggins creek much, but would love to go back and do that.

JayB
09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
"Also it seemed that the fishing above 69 was better than the fishing between 70 and 69,...."

That's cause you stayed back at camp that afternoon.;) I however had a 40 fish day between 69 and 70 back in May. 69 is an under-rated site, that being said, the fishing was good at 70 as well. The site wasnt horrible, but I did hate the fact that a horse had crapped right in the middle of the campsite, and the whole place stunk of manure.

NDuncan
09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Yes but didnt you catch the majority of those fish in the last 1/4 mile below 69?

Now that I think about it I can think of a few reasons why I would stay at 70 in the fall....

Younger Tom
09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm gonna make a run at Steeltrap Cr on Thursday, so I figured I might as well hoof it up to 69 for camp. It certainly seems the better site and gets me away from the horse traffic. I got out my 2 person tent the other day and set it up to make sure all was in order. This is my first solo trip in probably 10 or 12 years so I'm hoping I haven't forgotten too much.

If you're on Forney Wed-Fri this week (Sept 21-23), stop and say hello. I'll be the stunningly handsome man catching loads of trout with a graceful ease.

Or not. ;)