PDA

View Full Version : 9/16 NC Side Report

ChemEAngler
09-17-2011, 11:42 PM
After a really crazy past two weeks, the wife gave me a pass for Saturday. So, I had planned on hiking in 3 or 4 miles to fish today. However, she informed me last night that in her opinion a Saturday fishing pass would have me home by 2:30.....:confused:

That was when I changed my plans and decided to take my neighbor, who is my regular hiking companion, on his first fly fishing trip. We hit up a stream in NC that I have never fished but long been intrigued by. I was shocked to find very few footprints in the mud and gravel bank. So, I think I will keep this stream in mind for future trips when other areas are too crowded.

Right off the bat I hooked and landed my largest & most colorful brookie ever. I was a bit surprised by this because most of the books I have read speak of this stream as a predominantly rainbow stream. This is partially due to the 2900' elevation. My neighbor was so excited and came running to see what a brookie looks like. He wanted to take the picture of the fish, unfortunately was completely unfamiliar with my DSLR and the fish made an escape before he could get a pic. Really wish I had gotten one of it, oh well maybe next time.

We worked on upstream a good ways taking turns fishing and eventually on the last hole he had a bow jump out of the water trying to take his dry and also had one get off. After that he was hooked, and told me as we drove back home that he was going to go buy himself an outfit. It was nice to introduce somebody else to this wonderful sport, and look forward to getting out again soon. I also think I need to venture over to the NC side a little more often. By the way, the water levels were fantastic and the steam was a very picturesque setting.

http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/v34/p355714877-4.jpg

http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/img/v31/p236324930-4.jpg

SmokyMt4runner
09-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Great post....Beautiful water.

I have to start exploring the Dark side...umm...NC side a bit more.

There's nothing like pulling a personal best..Did you throw anything with orange in it??

Jim

ChemEAngler
09-18-2011, 09:10 AM
I started off with a #16 yellow stimulator and a green weenie dropper. Later I switched to a #16 orange stimulator with the weenie. Finally ended the day with a #16 Para Adams and weenie dropper. Best action was on the Para Adams with the weenie being next best.

BlueRaiderFan
09-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Nice work Travis! Sounds like your friend had a lot of fun!