PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick help

tnfishingreport
09-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Just registered and need some help. Just found out we are going to the Forge this weekend. I may be able to squeeze out about 3-4 hours of fishing. Just wondering where would be a place to go, I would need a little room for my casting skills, what type of flies would one recommend, and are there any special license requirements outside of the normal TN, with trout stamp. Thanks :smile: sorry for my short notice

duckypaddler
09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
A TN or NC license is all that is required in the park. You don't even need the trout stamp. If you are dry fly fishing I would say anything orange right now will be the way to go. I have seen lots of stoneflies in stomache contents lately so if you like to fish them, I'm sure they would work well. The green or pink weenie is still working well. As far as places to go I would shy away from the higher elevation roadside dtreams right now as they are super low. You also may be better off on a bigger stream if you want more casting room. May want to try Greenbrier, West Prong down low, or Little River.

fearnofishbob
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
duckypaddler hit the nail on the head......great advice, you might try a male parachute if all else fails. The weather should be improving Saturday and Sunday with some sunshine.Greenbrier should be good now, there are some beautiful bows up there..................Good luck

pineman19
09-20-2011, 09:28 PM
duckypaddler hit the nail on the head......great advice, you might try a male parachute if all else fails. The weather should be improving Saturday and Sunday with some sunshine.Greenbrier should be good now, there are some beautiful bows up there..................Good luck

Greenbrier is a terrible place to fish:rolleyes: Only thing I have ever caught there is rhodo:biggrin:

Neal

BlueRaiderFan
09-20-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't know if you are familiar with the area. If you fish in Gatlinburg you'll need a Tn license, trout stamp (I beleive) and a special Gatlinburg permit. There is some decent water between P. Forge and Gatlinburg as well but some of it is polluted with sewage. If I were you (assuming you've never been to the park) I would hit the bigger water along the road as you leave Gatlinburg and head toward Sugarlands Visitor Center. If you think you can roll cast and not get tangled up a lot I would hit Roaring Fork. Take traffic light 8 to the left and take the "Motor Nature Trail" go up the trail road (it's paved for cars) and go to the top of the hill and back down. The first cabin on the right is a good spot. Park on the left just before the cabin and walk down the hill below the cabin for fishing that's a little tight but not too bad. Or start fishing at the cabin. Or, walk much further down the hill (half a mile?) to the mill and fish from there. Sorry for the rant. Good luck and post some pics!

tnfishingreport
09-20-2011, 10:16 PM
For all the replies, thanks, this will get me started on the flies, now just figure where to go. I typically fly fish the South Holston River, great place if you have never been. I don't get to go enough to excel at fly fishing, but will get there, thanks again. I will try to let you know how it goes.

BlueRaiderFan
09-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Roaring Fork is in the park by the way. You will only need a TN fishing license, nothing else.

duckypaddler
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Greenbrier is a terrible place to fish:rolleyes: Only thing I have ever caught there is rhodo:biggrin:

Neal

And it full of problem bears that will eat you at a moments notice:rolleyes:

Den after den of rattlesnakes too:eek:

Better off fishing for stockers in G-burg;)

Rog 1
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Just registered and need some help. Just found out we are going to the Forge this weekend. I may be able to squeeze out about 3-4 hours of fishing. Just wondering where would be a place to go, I would need a little room for my casting skills, what type of flies would one recommend, and are there any special license requirements outside of the normal TN, with trout stamp. Thanks :smile: sorry for my short notice

You have the license info...since you are restricted for time my go to water from the forge is the WPLP....head into the Park, past the HQ....go to the second pull off on the left that has paved parking...one of those quiet walkways...the water here is fairly open and close to the trail so there is quick access when it is time to go...good dry fly fishing...this time of year don't be afraid to throw a big parachute Madam X....still a lot of terrestrials out and these can bring on some vicious hits...good luck

tnfishingreport
09-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks again, gonna start mapping out some areas, hopefully will get a chance to tie a few, if not, I can rob the piggy bank and purchase a couple when I get there, thanks again.

pineman19
09-21-2011, 05:50 PM
And it full of problem bears that will eat you at a moments notice:rolleyes:

Den after den of rattlesnakes too:eek:

Better off fishing for stockers in G-burg;)

Have seen a bear, had one amble down the side of the stream till it was across from me and Hans while we standing on a big rock in the middle of the stream. It paid us no mind, kept moving slowly on downstream.

Neal

tnfishingreport
09-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Are there any fish in the river near Wilderness Lodge, just thought I might get more time in, this is where we are staying?

pineman19
09-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Are there any fish in the river near Wilderness Lodge, just thought I might get more time in, this is where we are staying?

Are you talking Sevierville, the Little Pigeon? If so, it can be a very good smallmouth stream. Make sure you learn the regs if you fish it, as it's managed as a "trophy" smallie stream.

Neal

tnfishingreport
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks, did not realize that, you saved me a great deal of heartache. The smalliess would be fun on a fly rod however.

Bran
09-25-2011, 07:49 PM
BRF, you sure are giving away my fav spot!!!;)

tnfishingreport
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Just wanted to say thanks, got to Bass Pro, said there was a trout tournament on Saturday, time was limited so I went to Orvis next morning. They open a little later so I just went to the little pigeon right there. Was going to leave, but started catching some little fish, it was fun, and I got to get out a while. Gonna have to plan better. may try to add some pics of the little rascals later, put them in my journal. Thanks again to everyone, nice forum.