PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

Mac
09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
I have some fellow fly fishing friends heading to the high country this weekend and my brother and I have a similar trip planned soon after. Its been some time since i have seen numbers like these but looking at the weather for the NC side I have a question:

What does Low 32 degree mean? :p

I cannt quite remember the term but dont you lose a few degrees every thousand feet elevation gain? :eek:

How high are you planning on staying? :rolleyes:

I can already see some back packing lists getting heaver. :biggrin:

Just thinking about you guys.

JayB
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
haha thats funny Mac, I am right in the middle of debating with myself whether or not to bump up to my bigger bag or stay with my smaller lighter bag. Im maxed out for space, so to just bring an extra layer of clothes for the colder predicted nights, I would have to bump up to a pack that weighs 5 lbs more. However, we are gonna be in the river most of the trip and I REALLY want to keep the pack weight down.
The rule as I read it is a loss of 4* F for each 1K ft elevation, so if we are looking at the same locations, We can expect it to get to the mid 20's some nights. I love my hammock, but Im prepared to go to ground this trip if I have to.

Realtyman
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
"Low 32" is a scientific term used by gear manufactures to sort out the quality sleeping bags from the big box store junk :biggrin:

duckypaddler
09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
haha thats funny Mac, I am right in the middle of debating with myself whether or not to bump up to my bigger bag or stay with my smaller lighter bag. Im maxed out for space, so to just bring an extra layer of clothes for the colder predicted nights, I would have to bump up to a pack that weighs 5 lbs more. However, we are gonna be in the river most of the trip and I REALLY want to keep the pack weight down.
The rule as I read it is a loss of 4* F for each 1K ft elevation, so if we are looking at the same locations, We can expect it to get to the mid 20's some nights. I love my hammock, but Im prepared to go to ground this trip if I have to.

I have a 4 pound backpack that would give you plenty of room if you want to borrow one.

I think Mac has turned from pickin on Colby, to pickin' on us:rolleyes:

I have had to rethink a few things as well to account for the extra night and lower temps. I will try & post a picture to keep you folks laughing through the day(you'll know what I mean when you see the picture. Worst case scenerio I'm still sub 25 which is light compared to one of my companions with 45-50 pounds:eek:

JayB
09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the offer Ducky. I think Im gonna stick with the lighter pack I have. It depends on which weather site you look at to as to how low its gonna get. Weather.com calls for 32 Sat night in the city, whereas NWS calls for 40. Thats a big difference. If its 40 down low, that will make it just around freezing where we'll be, which I know I can do. I'm just gonna pack a second set of thermal bottoms, and I think I can get that in the pack. Ill pack a couple extra hand warmers to throw in the sleeping bag as well in case it does get too cold. As for wet wading saturday with a high of 62 at the lower elevations, well I guess Im just gonna have to tough that one out, I am NOT bringing waders.

duckypaddler
09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Here's your laugh of the day.

Yours truly sporting my Jack R Better Stealth quilt & down hood!

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=73&pictureid=646

Tell the cold to take that:biggrin:

JayB
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
awesome!!!!

iamcolby
09-28-2011, 04:44 PM
wow, that sounds real real real cold to me. I think I'd bring an electric heater if it were that cold.