PDA

View Full Version : Wading Smokies this weekend(Middle Prong)

Bubbatn
10-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Going with a couple buddies to wade the middle prong this weekend(Sunday). Just wondering if you guys would recommend waders? I'm thinking where these nights have been alot cooler lately, that water will be cold. One of my buddies is just getting started into fly fishing and doesn't have waders, so just wondering if we need to be finding him a pair to borrow.

fearnofishbob
10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
I "wet-waded" the upper end of Oconoluftee yesterday and it was fine. It takes a little adjustment when you first get in but soon you'll not notice the temp.
The water temperature was 53 degrees I don't think you will have any problems.
njoy the weekend.....Bob

David Knapp
10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I personally won't be using waders until at least November...should be fine now for wet wading...

Grannyknot
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Wet waded on a cold morning at Elkmont a few days ago. The water felt great.

No Hackle
10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Just don't go past your crotch.:biggrin:there might a different signal being tranmitted from that region. Rule of thumb from the first cold spell on," above mid thigh keep it dry." your children will thank you.LOL
Lynn

BlueRaiderFan
10-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't wade at all if you don't want to spook the fish. I rarely go up past my boots these days.

GrouseMan77
10-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I personally won't be using waders until at least November...should be fine now for wet wading...

Fully agree.

flyman
10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Since I started shaving my legs I have to wear waders almost all year long.:smile:

Rob Johnson
10-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I agree with BlueRaiderFan and Flyman. I usually wear lightweight chest waders or guide pants. Even in warm weather they keep my butt dry when I sit on wet rocks and stuff. I do a good bit of sitting. And watching. One of the first things the old guys taught me was don't get in the water unless you have to. So, I stay out of the water and avoid the cold wet rocks when I am wearing hippers. " You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life." ROB