PDA

View Full Version : Ramsey Prong Report 10/8

ChemEAngler
10-08-2011, 09:56 PM
My Process Engineering Director was in town this weekend from Sweden, and he wanted to tag along with me on my fishing trip. So, I had to choose somewhere that had a "destination" for him to hike to along with some fishing possibilities for me.

I ended up choosing Ramsey Prong since he could continue on to the cascades if he so wanted. (BTW he ran all the way to the cascades and back in about two hours :eek: @ 46) I walked in with him for about 3/4 mile before hopping in the water. Talk about some wonderful looking plunge pools. Unfortunately, the catching was extremely slow for me. It didn't take long for me to figure out why, as I quickly started seeing wet footprints on the rocks. I was surprised by this since there were on a couple of cars in the parking lot when we arrived, and I did walk in a reasonable distance to try and avoid crowds. Regardless, I only managed to bring one small bow to hand. Oh well, there is always next time.

As we were leaving, the parking lot was packed. People were double parked everywhere, there wasn't even room for a car to turnaround. I also couldn't believe the number of people heading out up the trail with no supplies. Not even a bottle of water! I think too many people take for granted how easy it is for something to go wrong. Whether that be getting dehydrated, twisting an ankle, getting bee stung, etc.

cardfly
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
OOPs, that may have been me and Clay Aalders. We hit the water a little before 9. Beautiful place.

The low water cut our totals down but we did manage so fish.

tlshealy
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Travis,
If you went up to Ramsey Prong, I might have been the culprit also. I fished up Ramsey prong itself and caught one brookie, then turned around because the water was so low, then I fished up the main section of MPLP further than I have ever gone. I was at Ramsey about 9:30 fished until 3:00 then turned around. I had to work hard but I managed a few rainbows and a bunch of brookies. I had the same problem on Little River Friday afternoon, wet boot prints in front of me.
Tad

I caught a few of these.

http://i52.tinypic.com/bj5t1w.jpg

and a bunch of these. The Brookies were colored up nicely.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25aj69l.jpg

ChemEAngler
10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Looking at my map, it looks as if I entered the water just above the intersection of Ramsey Prong and MPLR. I fished upstream for about an hour and a half before getting out and heading back downstream. The water was low, and the pools were crystal clear. However, it was some very fishy looking water, and I will definitely give it another try in higher water conditions.

I have fished over in that area a few times before, and had never seen another fisherman. Sounds like quite a few of us had the same idea yesterday. Glad you all caught some fish, it was a beautiful day to be out.

Like I told Plateau Angler earlier, I am sure that my kung-fu is not as strong as before. Two kids (3 and 7 wks) definitely limits my potential fishing opportunities, and I was definitely rusty. So, I wouldn't advise anybody to use my results as the benchmark for the area....

duckypaddler
10-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Travis,
If you went up to Ramsey Prong, I might have been the culprit also. I fished up Ramsey prong itself and caught one brookie, then turned around because the water was so low, then I fished up the main section of MPLP further than I have ever gone. I was at Ramsey about 9:30 fished until 3:00 then turned around. I had to work hard but I managed a few rainbows and a bunch of brookies. I had the same problem on Little River Friday afternoon, wet boot prints in front of me.
Tad

I assume you saying you went up from the Ramsey's confluence? Did you make it all the way up to Buck Fork? And did you hike the manway out or walk back downstream?
Thanks,
James

And Travis, don't feel too bad. I hiked all the way to 3 Forks last weekend only to catch 3 fish:eek:

Glad you hooked up with someone for your trip. I was going to resond to your post, but I had an itching to get back up to the Raven Fork, and knew that would be too much of a day for you since you mentioned being time limited. I looked for Mac & Colby who are up there for a week, but didn't see them, which surprised me since I walked the whole way from 47 to McGee:eek:. I did catch a rainbow in BullDie, and a Brookie in Right Fork which was nice to add to my list. Was a heavenly day just to be out there even if the fishing wasn't great. Raven's was low clear and spooky, but fished very nicely for the hour or so I spent fishing:smile:

Got caught in the worst bear jam on the way home. Took me over 4 hours to get home including 1 hour 45 minutes to go from Alum Cave to Chimney's Picnic area. Bear 40 feet in a tree, and every idiot had to get out of their car and take a look and a picture. Gotta love the tourons:rolleyes:

Knothead
10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
(BTW he ran all the way to the cascades and back in about two hours Why?
Sounds like the leaf lookers are getting up in the park. I don't go up to PF, GB or the park this time of year due to traffic. My brother-in-law went to GB a few years ago for the Christmas lights and took 2 hours just to get out of GB!

tlshealy
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
James,
I didn't make it to buck fork, although I may have been close, actually I was thinking about your post about a trip up there and wondered where in the heck that manway would be. I just followed the river up and back, I was alone so I was being careful, at 3:00 I thought I was far enough from
civilization and turned back. The gradient started getting steeper and the fishing slowed a bit. If my brother would have come along I'm sure we would have kept going another couple of hours.
Tad

ChemEAngler
10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Gotta love the tourons:rolleyes:

As we were driving out the traffic coming in was terrible. G-burg traffic was backed up to in between the bypass and visitor center. The worst was Pigeon Forge though. It was back up past Smoky Mountain Knife Works all the way from PF. :eek:

My visitor kept asking me what the draw for PF and G-burg was. He said I just don't understand it. He added, "I bet 80% of them probably consider this to be the mountains and never even venture out into nature."

So, this Swedish visitor was able to nail it right on the head after just one trip to PF and G-burg.

duckypaddler
10-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Verterans Boulevard

While 441 was a nigtmare, the bypass was just real busy, and it wasn't too far to the right turn at light #8 where at keast Verteran's ws realtively clear:biggrin: