PDA

View Full Version : Fly selection?

pmike
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Just wondering what anyone's favorite, can't miss flies are for this time of year. Anything special for the NC side as opposed to the TN side? I'd hate to hike in to camp without the best options :) It's been hard enough to convince my son inlaw to wear his special bear resistant, bacon scented necklace...there's no way he would hike back out to buy more flies once we get there :)

Mike

fearnofishbob
10-18-2011, 08:49 PM
The Parachute BWO #14 and the Blue Wulff #16 worked well on the 6th, 15th and 16th on the NC side.....still tough nymph fishin' ...leaves. !!!!

pmike
10-18-2011, 09:16 PM
I kinda figured that maybe some never-sinks and Hi Vis Adam's might do well, I read in the hatch chart that green inch worms and red copper johns would do well, but I have also found that there are times that all the "right flies"don't seem to produce...in that case I figure advice from others is a real plus :) Thanks FNF Bob for your suggestions. I usually fish a dry with a dropper, but guess my mind was blank about the leaves...leaves might be all I would catch with inch worms or copper johns...

David Knapp
10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Depends a lot on what stream you are fishing but this time of year you can expect BWO (#18-#24), Yellow Quills (#16), perhaps still some Isonychias (#10-#12), and the big caddis that a lot of us call October Caddis (#10, not true October Caddis btw). Also you can expect midges just about any time of year and in particular as of late. As of a week ago, I was still hammering fish on a Tellico as well and usually do well on those later into the fall...

psnapp
10-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I used to fish the NC DH streams a lot in the fall. Stimulators, EHC's, Tellico's, dark WB's, and Princes all worked fine for me. The DH fish aren't real selective anytime!

pmike
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
We are gonna be hiking up Deep Creek for a few days and will most likely only be fishing in the park itself.

NDuncan
10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
On drys #14 parachute adams was working real well on enloe creek, yellow and orange neversinks have been working well for me the past few trips as well. pink weenie was still producing last friday.

Knothead
10-19-2011, 01:49 PM
My go-to fly is the elk hair caddis, 12, 14, 16. I also tie a fly with a couple of filamaments of dark feather (whatever I find in the yard) for a tail, tan dubbing, and two or three turns of brown or ginger hackle; same sizes as EHC; call it Simple Simon as it's simple to tie. I have caught fish just about year 'round in E. Tenn. and the park. All have given great suggestions- have fun!
FWIW, I had a biologist say that this time of year the Tellico is good as bees get cold and fall into the water. However, I have never caught anything on one, even on the Tellico.

pmike
10-19-2011, 02:06 PM
"FWIW, I had a biologist say that this time of year the Tellico is good as bees get cold and fall into the water. However, I have never caught anything on one, even on the Tellico.[/QUOTE]

The first trout I ever caught was up Treemont on a Tellico Nymph, but I don't think I have ever caught anything since then on a Tellico. It was in the middle of Winter, early Feb and in the mid 20's, so it was a miracle i caught anything

Mike

PS: Maybe that Trout was suicidal with it being so cold

Carolina Kudzu
10-21-2011, 07:42 PM
For the fall on both sides of the park I like to use an orange elk hair caddis with a red copper john dropper. Both worked well on the TN side earlier in the week