PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving in the Smokies

LA MantaRay12
10-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Hey folks,

heading back to the Great Smoky Mountains to spend Thanksgiving with the family. Last year was incredible...got in a lot of fishing while the wife did her Christmas shopping. Had a great week and a half especially on the Little River. Went by LRO, and will do so again this year, very impressed with the service and the stock. We have nothing close to that extensive a fly shop in lower Alabama.

ONE DAY...ONE DAY I hope to spend time in the Smokies....permanently!!

Last year was not nearly as cold as previous late November trips we have made which I think led to the active trout fishing I experienced. I brought BH Pheasant Tails, Hares Ear, Black Stoneflies, BH Prince Nymphs...

Was wondering if anyone thought there would be value in me tying some Cased Caddis and some Emerger Caddis? I understand that yellow or green nymphs do well...is that the case for late November also? David McPhail tied an incredible Chunky Caddis on You Tube..I can't help but think this would work well in the Smokies?

http://youtu.be/I7ooBRCWK1M

I would really like to meet some of you avid Smoky fishers while in the area. Also, I bought Jim Casada's book last year when I was in The Smokies and absolutely love it. My son, the history buff, really has enjoyed all the historical references too. I am using the book to plan several of my intended fishing trips. If Jim is around the week of Thanksgiving I would love to get him to sign the book?

Hope I get to meet several of you, if not have a great Holiday Season.

Hugh Hartsell
10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Good evening LA MantaRay12,
Hope your doing well. The fly tied by Davy looks like it will be a great fly, but it looks more like an Emerger pattern and it may be better in the Spring and early Summer. I believe the flies that you mentioned earlier that you bought will be more appropriate for early winter fishing. If it happens to be quite warm when you are here that could make a difference, otherwise I would stick with Nymphs. Good luck when you are here and good fishing to you.
Hugh

LA MantaRay12
10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Hugh,

thanks for the advice. I will stick with what worked last year. Hope to see you while we are in the GSMNP area. I hope this post finds you well.

tntom
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I enjoy fishing the park that time of year Bead head Pheasant Tails have worked well for me. I caught my first wild trout in the park on a COLD Wednesday before Turkey day in the park.. I am not a great park fisherman but if you want a fishing buddy let me know I would love to meetup and wet a line.

Tom

LA MantaRay12
10-26-2011, 04:51 PM
tntom,

would really enjoy some company while i'm fishing the GSMNP. I plan to be in the area beginning November 17 till Nomember 26. I plan to fish some portion of each day except for Thanksgiving and the day after (my wifes birthday).