PDA

View Full Version : Nov 23rd WP of the LR

CinciVol
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm a little late in posting this report but I wet a line for a few hours on Nov 23rd and thought that I would report my results. I fished the West Prong of the Little River along the Laruel Creek road and for a few hundred yards after it leaves civilization behind (crossings eventually became a bit too dicy for my liking so I turned back).

I thought it would be a fools errend in fishing at all since the USGS gauge on the LR read 1200 cf/s but I made the treck to LRO to buy some heavy nymphs and decided to give it a try. To my surprise the fishing was great and the trout were very aggressive. The water was pretty warm and, despite the high flows, there were enough obvious holding lies that I hooked or caught a trout on nearly every "pool" I fished. All fish were 'bows with the largest about 9". I hooked three trout in the green area in the middle of the "pocket" in the pic below.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd216/deriesten/Smokies%20Nov%202011/TEST2042.jpg

David Knapp
11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Very nice! I'm always amazed at how well the WPLR fishes during high water compared to other area streams. Those rainbows sure get on the feed...