PDA

View Full Version : Shakespeare Russel 1985 Model GE

TightLines
12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I found an old Shakespeare Russel 1985 Model GE fly reel at the flea market this weekend. Reel is in very nice shape. Wondering what weight fly line I should put on it. Can't find any info on the weight line it should have.

MadisonBoats
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I had this link handy in my bookmarks. I bet one of these contacts could probably help you dial it in...

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/antiques/info.shtml

Stana Claus
12-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I would expect the line weight to be more a function of the rod you'd be using rather than the reel. What rod would you be using the reel with?

TightLines
12-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Called a nice feller in Iowa who works on old reels. He said I could run up to a 12 weight line on the reel with no problems. So I've decided to go with an 8 weight line. Guess I can use it for bass fishing, as well as for flounder, specks, and white trout here in the gulf.

MadisonBoats
12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
I would expect the line weight to be more a function of the rod you'd be using rather than the reel. What rod would you be using the reel with?

You are exactly right. I believe I answered his post presumptuously without thinking it through.:redface: My rationale was that he was trying to get it back to the original setup. I have some antique setups and I enjoy fishing with this type of approach. I even have a few reels matched up with the old 'Wonder-rods'. They are pretty dang stiff. However; I do not think I could ever regress back to the old floating line materials in action.

Knothead
12-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Love antiques! Married to one! I have two old casting reels and steel rods- don't fish them, wall hangers. I have an old South Bend fiberglass rod and Pflueger medalist reel (late 1950's) that I fish occasionally for old times sake. Keep it, take care of it and use it.