PDA

View Full Version : middleton

lauxier
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
any body read the recently published book by harry middleton--is it a collection of short stories?is it a good read?

Jim Casada
01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Lauxier--I read the anthology shortly after it appeared. The work is comprised of articles Harry (who was a good friend) wrote for various magazines. The subject matter ranges widely across the outdoor scene. Some of the selections are Harry at his spectacular best; others, while nicely crafted, don't reach that level. I definitely recommend the work, but then my judgment might not be the best given my close links to Harry.
We exchanged letters and thoughts regularly, and I had a bit of input on his book, On the Spine of Time. Incidentally, none of the chracters in that wonderful work are based on real people. They are just products of Harry's fertile imagination.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Jack
01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a copy and have read it cover to cover. I really enjoyed it, fact, fiction or whatever. I'll probably pass it on to my son to enjoy.

Ky Tim
01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Just ordered it yesterday and am anticipating its arrival. I really enjoy Middleton's character descriptions and use of language. As my grandfather used to say: "That feller can sure spin a yarn!"

Don Kirk
01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Mrs. Middleton regarded Harry's passion for fishing with little regard. When the old bird expired she had a hellva yard sale where she sold his stuff lock-stock-and-barrel. By the time I got a call about it from Craig Haney who ran the Orvis shop in Mountainbrook, his rods and flies were gone as were most of his books. Digging through the scrapes I got a dozen or so books from his personal collection. I tried to buy the old witch's broom, but she needed it to ride to the beach that weekend.

lauxier
01-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Don:I have read and enjoyed your books.I have always wondered what happened to Middleton's Rods etc.-his depressive ways were probably not condusive to a marriage made in heaven,but it is sad that Middleton's wife sold(gave away) his stuff in hate's way.

Byron Begley
01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi Larry and Folks,

Ron Ellis, who assembled this book of Harry's writings is a friend of mine and lives not too far from you in Kentucky. He is also very involved in Troutfest since he has a home here too and is a member of the Little River Chapter of TU. Mrs. Middleton was very helpful to him in getting these writings available to the public. He had nothing but nice things to say about her. But, he is not one to criticize other people. I think there is too much of that going on here. Our theme on this board is Fly Fishing, Information and Friendship. I'm not talking about you Larry or you Jim. You are both nice guys.

Byron