PDA

View Full Version : smoky mt rock hoping!!

Rodonthefly
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Ain't for this chubby tailwater fisherman. Me and Wilson hit the park yesterday to try our hand at play peek a boo, with some wild fish. Yeah well, we both didn't get skunked but park fishin ain't for me. I will go back this summer to camp with my family as I have every summer. But I just can't get into it. Prehaps Wilson will post a pic or two of yesterdays trip.

Knothead
01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
There are a number of places where you don't have to rock hop. I found several places on the East Prong of LR for the wife's convenience. Plain ol' gravel bottom and easy access from the road. Oh yes, we caught fish. I find fishing the park easier than the Hiwassee. Hiwassee has these rock ledges that slant at about 30 degrees.

BlueRaiderFan
01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I fish the bigger water above Elkmont and on the Middle Prong on most trips and don't hop much. You just have to go a half mile or so above Elkmont and a 1/4 mile past the first gravel lot at Tremont before you start fishin' to skip most of the rocks.

Grannyknot
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it Rod. When Adam texted me Saturday morning it looked like conditions may be optimal, and I had hoped you would get into some big boys.

MadisonBoats
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Ain't for this chubby tailwater fisherman. Me and Wilson hit the park yesterday to try our hand at play peek a boo, with some wild fish. Yeah well, we both didn't get skunked but park fishin ain't for me. I will go back this summer to camp with my family as I have every summer. But I just can't get into it. Prehaps Wilson will post a pic or two of yesterdays trip.

Rod, I feel you about the rock hopping! That and the dang humidity & wearing waders turns me in to a sweat machine.:redface:

David Knapp
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
There are a number of places where you don't have to rock hop. I found several places on the East Prong of LR for the wife's convenience. Plain ol' gravel bottom and easy access from the road. Oh yes, we caught fish. I find fishing the park easier than the Hiwassee. Hiwassee has these rock ledges that slant at about 30 degrees.

Have you fished Abrams? Its the only Park stream with a bottom as treacherous as the HI. Of course it has those big ledges also that have terrible angles...between those two streams I have probably fallen more than any other place...

David Knapp
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...

Knothead
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
David K., thanks for the info. I would like to fish Abrams this spring, especially the Horseshoe. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Rodonthefly
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...

I would love to take you up on the offer, in return I can offer you a seat in the drift boat for a trip down the Clinch. My email is clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com shoot me a email next time you hit the park.

ifish4wildtrout
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
As much as I love rock hopping, I can understand it's not everyone's "cup of tea". The way I see it, that's just one less person I have to worry about fishing the streams I love so much. :biggrin: Just kidding, of course.

MadisonBoats
01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Have you fished Abrams? Its the only Park stream with a bottom as treacherous as the HI. Of course it has those big ledges also that have terrible angles...between those two streams I have probably fallen more than any other place...

David K., thanks for the info. I would like to fish Abrams this spring, especially the Horseshoe. Heard a lot of good things about it.

That area is the slickest and most dangerous waters I have ever fished. I laughed at my brother slipping and going completely under and I took a spill right after ward.:eek: The times I have fished the horseshoe; it gave me fits catching fish as well.

Wilson10
01-10-2012, 12:41 PM

David, We had a good time. We're just suffering from lack of water time depression. We got up there and we did expect the fishing to be slightly better, but it was fairly slow and started raining.

Here's a couple pictures I took with my phone prior to the rain starting.
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m327/AdamWilson10/2012-01-07_11-52-54_646.jpg
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m327/AdamWilson10/2012-01-07_11-53-23_681.jpg

Rog 1
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I am now older than I like to admit....have fished the Tn. side of the Park for 50 years...I used to literally run up and down these streams while fishing with little thought of potential damage to my body...I still love to fish these streams but I guess sensibility comes with experience(old age)...there are places I won't fish just because of the depth of the water or the distance between landing places...if I am not carrying a man-made staff I will find one before wading across certain places...I keep finding my self looking at a jump up, down or across that in my youth there would be no hesitation...but...there are plenty of places along all the streams that I fish where access from the bank is available and good water is fishable....I have never possessed waders and have always wet waded so when the weather is too cool I have oftern fished the banks without the need for rock hopping.

Knothead
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Rog 1, we are all getting a bit older. Can't jump like we used to. When I first started trout fishing, I made a staff out of conduit, crutch tip and a bike handle grip. Later, sprung for a folding one and holster. I never fish without it. It's saved me from many a spill.
I'll remember the previous comments on Abrams Creek and the Horseshoe.