PDA

View Full Version : Best all around rod for distance

Rodonthefly
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Ok, after thinning my rod collection I'm about ready for a big boy rod ;). Those that know me, know that I fish mostly large waters. So I'm looking for something powerfull enough to cast 70+ feet all day and not feel it the next day. I was thinking along the lines of a 9' 5wt but also would like to hear pros and cons on say a 9'6" as well in the 5 wt line up. So if you all would please feel free to add your comments on these rods I have listed.

Sage One

Sage Z Axis

Hardy Zenith

Feel free to add others.

Heavynets
01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
For all day distance casting it's going to be hard to beat a two-handed rod. I use a 7 wt switch rod that I built on a Batson Rainshadow blank. It has become my goto rod. A 5 or 6 wt would probably be a better all around rod. Redington, Beulah and Sage make some excellent switch rods.

DarrinG
01-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Casting 70 plus feet "all day", you're gonna feel it the next day no matter what rod you use (if you're not used to doing that all day, alot). Out of the rods you listed, the only one I have casted is the Z-Axis, and would be a good choice I would think. Or, I'd look for a used but in good condition Sage XP 9ft 6wt. Powerful rod. And on a tighter budget, look at a TFO TiCr-X. I'll tell ya, those X rods got some horsepower. A little heavier swing weight, but man, they can flat throw some line with ease. Impressive when it comes to raw power and zinging line thru the guides.

Randy Ratliff
01-17-2012, 08:46 AM

MadisonBoats
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Rod,
I guess my input would be similar to the other responders. What are you going to be throwing and how are you going to fish it?

I believe about any rod will throw out to 70' with its correct line weight and with most flies.

I am not that experienced with throwing streamers all day; but, that seems to give me some arm trouble after a couple hours.:redface:

narcodog
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
It's not the rod it's the caster. I have a friend that took my Cortland Enduro 10ft 4 wt and emptied the reel, he was able to do this time after time, without a fly attached.

billyspey
01-17-2012, 01:54 PM
a 10 ft. lommis glx classic in 4 wt. would be ideal but good luck finding one . lommis nrx or a sage one.

Corbo
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Hmmmm?

IMO the rod doesn't matter so much as technique.... a good snap to a good stop and a subtle haul at the appropriate moment.

The "pro casters" who demonstrate rods at shows for all the afore-mentioned companies CHEAT by underlining the rod so they can carry more line in the back cast. Typically they reduce by two line weights which makes the rod cast poorly (not load much) on short casts with less accuracy but this strategy makes the rod look like a real cannon. Very impressive at shows but then again they don't tell they are cheating when they show off!

I have won many nice Orvis rods up in Maine in distance casting tournaments by underlining and double hauling... backing flies out the rod tip if it doesn't tangle.

Rods are designed for the "weight" of the line over say the first 30 or 40 feet of line (what most people will "carry" on their back cast for a long cast).... rods are not designed to carry 70 feet on the back cast as they would be too stiff and un=manageable for most fishing.

Too much line (weight) on the back cast can make the rod go "soft" or piss out and not have the backbone necessary to blast out the fore cast.

<amy people find the new "super" rods have horrible accuracy up close and it's because they are tip action and roo stiff so OVER LINING can correct the problem.

I seriously believe many rod makers sell 6 weights but represent them as five weights.

If you have several different reels, lines and rods try under-lining and experimenting.... also clean & dress the line.

The weight of the line is what will wear you out as opposed to the weight of the rod/reel.

BTW.... I have an Orvis 12 weight for sale with anti-reverse DXR and it won't wear you out for at least an hour even when you cast umbrella rigs.

Knothead
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM
corbo, very interesting information. Thanks. I underline a 7 wt. bamboo rod with 6 wt. to stiffen the action. Could probably go down to 5 wt.

waterwolf
01-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Others have made some very good points, and 70 feet is not that far to cast in reality. The problem with 70 feet is effectively fishing with that much distance between you and the fly. Drag becomes a huge issue, and getting good hook sets as well.

From what I know about you Rod is you fish the Clinch primarily, and if you are looking a for a rod to handle "clinch distances" then I would look at a 9' 5wt. Z-Axis or One.

I fish a 9' 4 wt SP or Z-Axis on the Clinch every time I am out, and can cast as far as anyone on the river with it. However, that is just me, needless to say I might have a little different skill set then the majority of others on the river.

That is the reason I usually suggest and always suggest others stick with a 9' 5 wt, and it should do everything you need it to.

I would not look at the 9' + rods, when you add extra graphite they get clunky and heavy in the hand. I have never been a fan, and the longer rods are more useful for mending then they are distance casting IMO.

Wilson10
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Has anyone cast the Sage TCX? That claims to be the "extreme distance" stick according to Sage.

waterwolf
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Has anyone cast the Sage TCX? That claims to be the "extreme distance" stick according to Sage.
I thought it was awful. Nothing I hate more then a rod which is so fast that you have to up line it to make it load.

It might be great for some, but for me it is a non-starter. I bet it would break 6x faster then lightning as well.

tnflyfisher
02-04-2012, 10:32 AM
More of the same.... I never did cast one but have always heard of it described as Sage's fastest, stiffest rod series they made. I could be wrong but I know that's not my cup of tea at all so never even laid my hands on one.

Tight Lines,

Randy Ratliff
02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Here is a little chart/reference guide from Mr. Bob Clouser and the folks at Temple Fork Outfitters. No matter which rod you use, this should help you match up the rod/line size to the flies you will be throwing.

We must understand that a fly line is used to move weight forward to the end of the cast, whether it be a hook, small dry fly or a heavy weighted streamer or nymph.
Fly lines are measured in weight by grains and this grain weight is used to move weight forward. For example; a 5 weight fly line weighing 140 grains is not capable of pulling the same weight thru the cast as a 210 grain 8 weight does. There are many variables to consider while casting such as wide open loops, chuck and duck, over powering or lobbing.
This chart is designed upon the ease of the cast plus normal tight loops that will cut the wind with ease. An oval back cast along with the use of the body is a must when casting weighted flies.

We will start with a 5 weight fly line, anything under that is specially designed to cast small light flies and is not suited for any type of weighted fly.

Lead Eye Weights most suitable for these line weights.
Line Ounce of weight
5 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50
6 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50
7 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50
8 weight = 1/120, 1,80, 1/50, 1/30
9 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50, 1/30, 1/24
10 weight =1/120, 1/80, 1/50, 1/30, 1/24

The above listing of course is not written in stone but if the formula is followed, long easy casts can be made. In many instances a heavier eye weight than listed can be used but it will test the caster and the capability of the rod and line.

Note” The above suggestion for choosing the right weight a fly line can move forward with ease has it variations of course, most variations comes with the style of casting being used. The most proficient style developed by Lefty Kreh where the body is involved in the cast will make casting weight more efficient.
Bob Clouser

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/gonefishin77/413965_2966554575767_1618760145_2620201_1422063864 _o.jpg

Corbo
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks Randy;

No disrespect for BOB or Lefty BUT this data and line weight vs: "stated" rod weight and all the "standards" created by the tackle manufacturers were designed for the "average flyfisher".

Funny thing.... long before Lefty wrote the yellow book, Longer Fly Casting, my friends and me were already doing it in Maine to reach Stripers from the beach. The technique is valid but not really needed for trout fishing with a five weight unless you have no wading boots.

With an 8 or 9 weight I have throw enormous heavy & bulky streamers and admit it's a chore unless the rod has a lot of backbone but this doesn't mean it must be a fast tip action. Lefty's whole body casting stroke lends itself well to a full flex rod in many ways..... I've seen him "show off" and was willing to bet he too was underlining.

My personal observations are that too many rod makers (particularly Sage) underline their rods due to a perception that longer casts are what everyone wants!

I do most of my tailwater fishing with a 2 weight and I throw everything with it from big beads to streamers.... But then again I am the exception to the "rule". LOL but true.

Spose I'm more of a trout hunter; there is less line splash with the 2 weight so I can virtually "line" trout feeding directly up-stream at a very acute angle OR only put my leader over them.

How many of us get a decent drift at 70 feet much less respond well to the take of a dry at that distance?

waterwolf
02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
How many of us get a decent drift at 70 feet much less respond well to the take of a dry at that distance?

Virtually no one is getting good drifts or setting hooks consistently at 70 feet.

I usually fish at around 40-50 feet even though I am perfectly capable of casting 100 feet. I can say the same for most folks I fish with a many of the best fisherman around.

Trico
02-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I really have to wonder as trout fishermen if we don't get carried away with the distance factor. I will admit I am guilty as the next man in this regard. After all it is a well known fact, though I can't prove it, the farther you cast the bigger the fish. In spite of all of this I think my best fishing is done within thirty feet.

I think rod makers have taken this too far. Most fly lines for the "new fast action rods" are half a size heavier.

Salt water fishing, Atlantic salmon, and some steelhead are probably all the exception but I really wonder if most of the time we would not be better off with a rod that fully loads closer and what we do under forty feet counts the most.