PDA

View Full Version : Blueline rod.... 2wt/3wt? Length?

Knik
01-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Been wanting to set up a new rod/reel for the smaller speck waters, been using a 5wt 8'6". Kinda leaning towards a 2wt in a 7'6", hate to loose too much length as far as dabbling goes, but it gets cramped quick with the 8'6" I now use. So..... thoughts????

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

Crockett
01-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Hey Shannon there have been some good debates on the site in the past over rod length in laurel thick small mountain streams. Here is a good thread from a couple of years back:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14122

I still mostly fish with a longer rod in those conditions and do just fine but granted I haven't tried it with a 7 ft rod. I do have a 7ft eagle claw that I was going to test on maybe next year. See I can't use it yet I am saving it for my sons birthday in August. Then I will commandeer it for a test run if he agrees.

I was fishing way up straight fork last year and ran into a fellow coming thru the rhodo with a very short fly rod. In fact the shortest I had ever seen. I swear it must have been like 5 ft. It looked beat up and customized maybe from a broken rod or something. I don't see how he used it and wished I had inquired more. We were about a mile above the million dollar bridge way in the boonies. I was getting out and he was getting in so all was good. He said he starts there and fishes way up the stream for miles to where it gets super steep. He was a local too but most locals I have seen that have fished for a long time use long rods even when going into places like this. The thought that you have to have a shorter rod for bushwhacking laurel covered streams seems to be a newer phenom generally I have found but not always. I personally have been caught in rhodo hells in creeks so thick that to move forward or backward I had to thread my rod through a small opening then push through or under it myself just to get 2 feet forward retrieving my rod and repeating over and again. In situations like that really 7'6 versus 8'6 rod length doesn't make any difference at all.

I think the best answer is try both and see what you think but don't make the mistake of just trying it once. Stick with each method for a couple of months that will give you a better comparison. If you want to go small as a test you can get those Eagle claw 7' featherlight fly rods for very cheap like $25 then you can see if you really like that better before spending more.

Knik
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks Adam for taking the time to chime in, I'll make sure to check out the thread that you mention above. As far as going the cheaper route first, I had thought about trying a TFO Finesse for starters. Sure wish Orvis made their Super Fine 2wt. in a 7'6". :rolleyes:

Knothead
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
FWIW, I built a Sevier Tigereye rod specifically for the park and small streams in east TN. It is 2 piece, 6 ft., 2/3 wt. I got a 2 wt DT line on sale at LRO (I'm cheap). Throws the best loops of all my flyrods. I was looking at a 5 ft. blank but got a good deal on the 6 ft. blank. Prior to the 2 wt., I used a 7 ft. 5 wt. Too heavy for me for that type of fishing.

Heavynets
01-17-2012, 12:33 PM
My favorite light weight rod is a Beulah, Classic series, 3 wt, 7'-6".

http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/single-handed-rods/single-hand-classic-series/

tnflyfisher
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Based purely on personnel preference...

I have fished everything with a 9' 4wt. for about all the years that I've been into fly fishing. While this has been limited mainly to trout and smaller fish, I have never felt the need to go to another rod. I have since added to my rod selection here recently and while happy to "pick" a rod for the day, I still go back to that 4wt on more park streams than you would think. I did break down and buy a 7' 4pc rod expecting it would be a really great small stream rod and to be honest, it has become an awesome bluegill rod! In the mountains it just didn't do it for me and I actually find my 7'9" is pushing it regarding how much rod length I am comfortable with and often want more. However, I have never had any issues fishing even the smallest park streams with it. Also something to think about is that as you go shorter, you often end up gaining "stiffness" which may or may not be desirable when fishing really small waters for small trout. At least that is what I experienced when I gave my 7' a go...

Tight Lines,

Knik
01-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys for all the input, I really like to hear others thoughts and reasoning before making a purchase.

I did a google search on the 2wt. Super Fine and found a few comments and pics. that kinda threw me off. The guy posted a pick of a Super Fine with the "cork and ring" set up, instead of the normal reel seat. I can't find where Orvis offers the cork and ring on the Super Fine, have only seen it on the Ion. Maybe the guy had a prototype or something, but I really like the cork and ring set up, wish it was offered in the Super Fine.

Thanks again :smile:

Rog 1
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I believe what you have seen is the older model of the Orvis Superfine...their 2wt was marketed originally under the name One Ounce....I own one of these rods and fish it whenever I can get it away from my son....these rods show up with some regularity on eBay and are offered at some very reasonalbe prices...these are full flex rods and are a pleasure to fish those small streams with....good luck.

Rog 1
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys for all the input, I really like to hear others thoughts and reasoning before making a purchase.

I did a google search on the 2wt. Super Fine and found a few comments and pics. that kinda threw me off. The guy posted a pick of a Super Fine with the "cork and ring" set up, instead of the normal reel seat. I can't find where Orvis offers the cork and ring on the Super Fine, have only seen it on the Ion. Maybe the guy had a prototype or something, but I really like the cork and ring set up, wish it was offered in the Super Fine.

Thanks again :smile:

Knik...just looked on ebay and there is a brand new One Ounce with the cork and ring seat up for sale...even has the warranty...take a look.

Troutman
01-23-2012, 05:46 PM
If you can't find a graphite 2-3wt that you like, try a fiberglass rod. Great soft action to make those small bows and brookies feel like a trophy. You can generally find a lamiglass honey for around $100. I have two that I fish regularly. Diamondglass makes a very nice 8'6" 4wt if your looking for one with some length to high stick small nymphs. I've heard you won't find a smoother dry fly rod. Both my lamis have the cork and ring hardware.

Joe Cornwall wrote a good article on the great 2 wt shootout a couple of years ago. There is a forum also for fishing with 3 wts and under. most of those guys lke to share info. on the rods.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_Shoot-Out/2-Weight_Rod_Review_Summary.htm

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

Corbo
01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Well

I almost exclusively fish an Orvis Trident 2 weight that is 8'6" when I trout fish and I'm a Tailwater guy from Maine who fishes it here on big water. It is a tip flex and works well in close but has the nut to bomb out line as well. I can often line big fish while casting upstream and they don't mind the very light line splash from a 2 weight compared to a 5 or 6.... it's also more fun unless it's windy or I want to throw larger stuff like streamers.

Medium action rods load better for many casters making very short casts..... regardless of rod length. Many people find the stiffer rods have less "accuracy" in close quarters.

Good Luck

Knik
01-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Rog 1 and Troutman....... thanks a bunch guys, I'll make sure to check your suggestions out.

Corbo..... I'm used to taking the 5wt and shooting the fly under the rhodo, but more often than not, it smacks the water pretty hard. Want a 2wt in hopes of not spooking the fish so bad, plus the 5wt sends those little specks flying when I get too excited. :rolleyes: I'm sure the 2wt will be a lot more fun when playing those little guys. We'll see.

Rog 1
01-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Knik...don't know what your budget is but a friend of mine fishes an LLBean 3wt on the brookie waters and likes it...a whole outfit sells for $160...closer to home check out LRO selection of Temple Fork rods ....there are any number of 2-3wt rods available and they come with a great warranty.

tnflyfisher
01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
check out LRO selection of Temple Fork rods ....there are any number of 2-3wt rods available and they come with a great warranty.

^^
What he said... find yourself a 7'6" 3wt. pro with some 4wt. SA trout and call it a day. A very good versatile little rod for the park's smaller streams. I personally would not go any shorter but YMMV... For a little more coin, the finesse 7'9" 3wt. or 4wt. I use my 7'9" 5wt. finesse in the park quite a lot and while it may seem a little "overkill" it is still fun even on the smaller fish. I certainly was thankful for its backbone when I landed a 23" brown that I was not expecting...

Tight Lines,

Knik
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
yep.... the finesse is on my list to look at, all searches have been positive on the finesse series. Sounds like a nice rod.

tnflyfisher..... congrats on the brown! I had one on over 20 and he shook loose 3' from the net.

I went from :smile:
to.. :eek:
to.. :frown:
and back to :smile:....... in a matter of seconds. What a roller coaster, I'll never forget it. ;)

yonder
01-25-2012, 06:22 AM
I use the finesse 7'3" two weight and a BVK 8' three weight in the park and other local streams around Boone. The 2 weight roll casts "like a dream!" I fish alot of smaller "creeks" and the finesse series has a softer feel, compared to the pro and BVK series, which suits my style of fishing. My son uses the pro 7'6" three weight and loves it. I have also used the warranty twice due to my own stupidity. 25 bucks and shipping costs. Return time was 5 days for the first rod, and 10 days for the second. TFO works for me. Just my 2 cents........

mora521
01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I bought a StCroix 7' 3wt 4 piece Imperial from LRO and it is a great rod that is very inexpensive.The creeks I fish don't have trails alongside them and I like the shorter rods since they are easier to thread through the brush to get around obstacles like waterfalls and pools too deep to wade up through.

I had thought about a 2wt but since I like fishing dry flies and there always seems to be a little wind on the steep creeks I like that the 3wt would be more efficient.

The St Croix has really made my Winston IM6 7.5' 3wt jealous since fish it less now,and not just because the St Croix is a 4 piece rod and the Winston is a 2 piece.I really love the elegant nickle silver sliding band and birdseye maple reel seat on the Winston and the beautiful deep green finish of the rod,but the St Croix fishes just as well and the top notch warranty is reassuring when you fish well off the beaten path.It would put a dent in my soul if I broke that RL Winston.

Troutman
01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Yonder, I've wondered how the BVK 3wt would be for bluegills and such. I have been thinking about getting a faster action (faster than my fiberglass) for river fishing from a canoe or jon boat. Longer cast and mending are usually needed along with dealing with the wind. I'm currently using an 8'6" 4wt st. croix legend ultra, but it often seems overkill for the fish. I love the ultralights.

yonder
01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Troutman, a BVK 3 weight would be a great choice. I use mine for smoky mountain trout, farm pond bluegills, and new river smallmouth. It is a fast rod and works very well in the wind. A quality fly line is also very important in bringing out the performance of any rod. Cast one at LRO and see what you think. There are alot of quality rods out there, so be sure to try a few different brands, weights, and lengths. Good luck on the rivers.........:smile:

yonder
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Troutman.......I just read an old post from 2008, where you posted a picture of a beautiful bamboo rod. All the graphite in the world doesn't hold a candle to a single bamboo fly rod...........just my 2 cents of course..........:smile:

Mundele
01-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I prefer a longer rod 8'6" or 9' even for small streams. In real tight waters you can't really do much casting anyway so the length helps with dappling. Setting the hook can be tough though if you're in a rhodo ****.

--Matt