View Full Version : Hiwassee N.C. ????

03-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I am going to be renting a cabin right on the Hiwassee in Murphy N.C. on the southeast edge of town. My wife has changed my plans about ten times, but I think this one is firm. I know there are fisheries within close distance for day trips. I have a belly boat to use if necessary. What would you all suggest for locations and flies to use in early April.

03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Hit Fires Creek, the Nantahalla DH if you want to drive over to the Tuckaseegee near Dillsboro.
Caddis will be good as well as some March Browns, black stones.

03-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Are there any trout on the NC Hiwassee ?

03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Drugcop4, I've never been there, but hatchery supported Shuler Creek in Cherokee Co. looks like a possibility for you. It lies north of and is a feeder of the tailwaters of Apalachia Lake, which is downstream of Hiwassee Lake.

Season may not be open until April.

03-12-2012, 10:47 AM

I fish this area quite a bit. The Toccoa tailwater just outside of Blue Ridge, GA would be a good river for you to fish. A good access point if you are wading is the Curtis Switch boat ramp. There is a pretty good run below the ramp that is wadable when they aren't pushing water.The Hiwassee in Murphy is a warm water fishery.

If you want me specific info about the area contact me directly and I will be happy to share.

03-12-2012, 01:28 PM

I would appreciate any info. You can shoot me an email at drugcop4@mchsi.com. Or give me some way to contact you. Thanks

Sounds like I will be trying to drag up smallies on the river near my cabin.