PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret from up North

Breck
03-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Had the pleasure of taking my 64 yr. old mom out to do something I remember her taking me to do as early as 9 yrs. old.

Most down south have no clue about this delicacy. They are very common in East, Tn..

Morel mushrooms,.... they are here and in prime of the season at least thru this next week.

Dipped in egg yolk/milk, wrapped in cracker crumbs and fried in butter and red wine till golden brown.

I share this with those of us that are out and about at this time of year to be on the lookout. Kinda of like: a big kids easter egg hunt!! The reward is "divine" if you are fortunate enough to find a mess of "dry land fish".

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Morels%202012/IMG_0169.jpg?t=1345514689

mora521
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
my response was deleted.yes we know about dry land fish,but tend to keep it to ourselves because loose lips lead to crowds.

2weightfavorite
03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
So I'm originally from the north, and it did not take me long to figure out that just because folks dont talk about it, or bost about it here; does not mean they do not know about it. You know what they say about assuming...

Breck
03-24-2012, 10:08 PM
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Morels%202012/DSCN0602.jpg?t=1345514481

Mom with her first morel find in forty years somewhere unknown in E. Tn..

Breck
03-24-2012, 10:27 PM
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Morels%202012/DSCN0604.jpg?t=1345514600
Mom and sawyer with a great find!!

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Morels%202012/DSCN0599.jpg?t=1345514788

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Morels%202012/DSCN0597.jpg?t=1345514882

MadisonBoats
03-25-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't think Breck was being condescending. It seems to me he may be speaking from an observational standpoint of a transplant. It may be more popular/widely harvested from where he grew up. I find it nice to read/learn more about the differences of regions, cultures, and science in these type of posts.

I have chatted with Breck and I think he is very stand-up guy! May we each step back for a moment and lend some hospitality to share stories and life's passions!

Paula Begley
03-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Thank you, MadisonBoats. I agree.

Paula

Jim Casada
03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Breck--I guess I have bad or at least mixed news for you. Morels are far better known in this general part of the world than you seem to think. Turkey hunters know all about them; in fact, I gathered roughly a peck this past week while doing a bit of pre-season scouting (the morels are early this year) and will likely gather at least that many more tomorrow. I have a 100-acre piece of property (in upstate S. C.) which produces good crops year after year--more than a bushel last year, and of course you never find anywhere near all of them.
I reckon I'll quibble a bit with your culinary approaches, or maybe more accurately, give you some "food" for thought to expand your gustatory horizons. If you want the ultimate in a mountain boy's meal, try morels sauteed in butter (I prefer to eschew the cracker crumbs and wine), a salad of kilt ramps and branch lettuce, pan-fried trout dressed up in cornbread dinner jackets, and maybe watercress mixed in with the salad if you can find it. Use the bacon which produced the grease to "kill" the ramps and lettuce with a batch of pan-fried potatoes and you are in gourment heaven.
Here's a couple of other thoughts on morels. They go mighty well with buttered noodles (just saute the morels in butter while noodles are boiling; drain noodles, pour morels and butter atop noodles, add a bit of salt and pepper, and dig in.
Morel and wild rice soup, made with half-and-half or, if you don't mind calories, cream, is mighty fine fixin's.
If you are fortunate enough to find a great many, they can be dehydrated quite nicely. Just reconstitute for use with noodles or in soup.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)
P. S. I'm sure there are other morel recipes in one of the cookbooks my wife and I wrote, Wild Bounty, but the suggestions above are off the top of my head.

woody55
03-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Madison I agree with you and Paula. I must say I am a northern person and there are many times I find the comments made from the locals in your area very rude. If you guys think you have seen mushrooms, go to Montana where I have seen them as large as a baseball hat, many that size.
In earlier post from last year I have seen many people state they will no longer vist this site. You can include me in this category. However I will continue to support Little River since I have visited their facility as far back as their first shop. At that time is was a little building at the other end of town. If I need to gain information on your area I will visit Little river and ask them for advice.
On the last trip to the Smokies my wife and i found so called fly fisher people that crowded in and were very rude. So much for understanding the rules of ettiquette.
Little river, take away my access to this site.

Paula Begley
03-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Woody55, this board is for all people to share...who are interested in information, fly fishing and friendship. We strive here, just as in our shop, to provide a place where all of you can come together in an environment that reflects those goals.

While we make every attempt to maintain this forum free from angst, anger and discord, that isn't possible to do completely. We entrust you, our customers, friends and board members to remain civil with each other...in the spirit in which we provide this space.

I cannot begin to tell you how it pains me to see someone, anyone, declare they are finished here. This is why we ask you, all of you, to refrain from any comments that if, said to/about you, would be offensive.

Paula

p.s.: Morels are like jewels of the forest...anyone who has eaten one has been enriched. I'll hope more people discover them, and I'll also hope that the divine nature that brings them to us will increase the bounty of them for us all.

buzzmcmanus
03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Breck,

There's no reason to limit your fungi foraging to morels.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0240.jpg

We've also got:

Bearded tooths (or is it teeth)
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/Mushrooms/IMAG0117.jpg

Oysters
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/oystermushrooms.jpg

And Chickens
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/DSCN6508.jpg

I'd also once found a cauliflower mushroom, but I was deer hunting in Catoosa and was a million miles from nowhere and didn't think it would survive a day in my backpack.

All of the above mushrooms are edible and delicious. The bearded tooth is my favorite. Sliced 1/4" thick, rolled in a corn meal/flour mix, and it tastes just like a real delicate fish.

Woody55, I know in the past, I've made jokes about our neighbors to the north, but it's all in jest. I'm from Lancaster, OH. Bloom-Carroll HS - 1989, Ohio University - 1994 (Bobcats not Buckeyes). You don't get much more Yankee than me. You'd be suprised at how many people on this board that have their location as Maryville or Knoxville are originally from somewhere north of here.

troutmanbrook
03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/29e3pz8.jpg

These were the first mushrooms I found this season. I took this picture two weeks ago. Since then, I have been blessed in my fungi outings.:cool:

MadisonBoats
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I enjoy reading about these mushrooms. I must admit; I have only heard of them and never tried them. I will have to give them a try.

Now; if you hear of me eating some bad mushroom and getting sick-don't laugh too hard.:biggrin:

troutmanbrook
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I enjoy reading about these mushrooms. I must admit; I have only heard of them and never tried them. I will have to give them a try.

Now; if you hear of me eating some bad mushroom and getting sick-don't laugh too hard.:biggrin:

We need to get together next weekend after fishing and go fungi hunting. finding them is almost as fun as eating them!
And, why aren't you out in the water, I would kill to be able to wade the clinch today?!

Breck
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Mora 521 - I truly had no intentions of making you angry in any way and as a result pondered many hours on if, how and what to say if I did respond. So here goes. Fly fishing is not my forte yet. As I read every post almost every day attempting to fill my need of knowledge so I can have some sort of an intelligent conversation when seeking advice I have as of late felt I was making more withdrawls than deposits. After taking my mom on a great walk down memory lane I felt compelled to share a topic(morels) that I am well versed in... with others that might not know, which there are many. The title: "Top secret from the North" was by design because with this title who doesn't want to know a secret?? I felt the interest would be generated and finally I could offer some advice to people that share an interest of being outdoors at a time when outdoors is coming to life in many ways. My fault in drawing a line of division and region. I apologize sincerely!!!

woody55 - you are a junior member as I am and here on this sight for a reason. The above posts did not drive me to ask for erasement from this forum so I ask you to stay the course as I have chosen regardless of the above posts because you will have the opportunity to meet some special people who are interested in passing this fly fishing hook forward ie; Shawn Madison, Fred Turner, and others that because of their contribution have kept me in the game just a little longer to discover a great sport that I realize can be pretty intimidating with the topics, expertise levels and cultural differences.

Jim, thank you for the recipe. I have always asked turkey hunters about their knowings of the morel, thinking - because of the season, they're in the woods and the looking for turkey sign, should gain me great knowledge from a turkey hunters perspective. Most are not as astute as you and you of your environment. I will be looking for your wifes book.

This is my side of the story and I'm sticking to it!!!

yonder
03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
I personally didn't have a clue as to the edibility of morel mushrooms. Thanks Breck, and others for posting. I have seen them before, but didn't give them a second thought. My mother taught me all about branch lettuce, spring onions, cornbread and pan-fried trout!! Somehow we missed out on the ramps and mushrooms!!! I will be searching the woods now. Thanks, again.

ChemEAngler
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Mora 521 - I truly had no intentions of making you angry in any way and as a result pondered many hours on if, how and what to say if I did respond. So here goes. Fly fishing is not my forte yet. As I read every post almost every day attempting to fill my need of knowledge so I can have some sort of an intelligent conversation when seeking advice I have as of late felt I was making more withdrawls than deposits. After taking my mom on a great walk down memory lane I felt compelled to share a topic(morels) that I am well versed in... with others that might not know, which there are many. The title: "Top secret from the North" was by design because with this title who doesn't want to know a secret?? I felt the interest would be generated and finally I could offer some advice to people that share an interest of being outdoors at a time when outdoors is coming to life in many ways. My fault in drawing a line of division and region. I apologize sincerely!!!

woody55 - you are a junior member as I am and here on this sight for a reason. The above posts did not drive me to ask for erasement from this forum so I ask you to stay the course as I have chosen regardless of the above posts because you will have the opportunity to meet some special people who are interested in passing this fly fishing hook forward ie; Shawn Madison, Fred Turner, and others that because of their contribution have kept me in the game just a little longer to discover a great sport that I realize can be pretty intimidating with the topics, expertise levels and cultural differences.

Jim, thank you for the recipe. I have always asked turkey hunters about their knowings of the morel, thinking - because of the season, they're in the woods and the looking for turkey sign, should gain me great knowledge from a turkey hunters perspective. Most are not as astute as you and you of your environment. I will be looking for your wifes book.

Well played Breck.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your morel experience. I remember days when we would fry these up by the pound not knowing how much of a delicacy they were considered. Been a few years since I had any, but I intend to look for some while chasing the big bird this weekend.

Look forward to your contributions to this forum in the future.

MadisonBoats
03-27-2012, 08:00 AM
We need to get together next weekend after fishing and go fungi hunting. finding them is almost as fun as eating them!
And, why aren't you out in the water, I would kill to be able to wade the clinch today?!
Danny, I would love to try these things out. I know I would poison myself it I did not have any guidance.:biggrin: Who said I have not been fishing/filming.

Breck, I concur with ChemEAngler and say well said! Life is fully of choices; note one of my favorite quotes in my signature. Thanks for posting this topic. You have educated me about them and stirred my interest.

I personally didn't have a clue as to the edibility of morel mushrooms. Thanks Breck, and others for posting. I have seen them before, but didn't give them a second thought. My mother taught me all about branch lettuce, spring onions, cornbread and pan-fried trout!! Somehow we missed out on the ramps and mushrooms!!! I will be searching the woods now. Thanks, again.

Yum, that sounds delicious!

JohnH0802
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Not to offend any...I enjoyed reading about the morel mushrooms. I will admit also that I had not heard of them before nor tried them. As a novice when it comes to smokies fauna.....are there any bad mushrooms that look similar to the morel? It is something that I would like to try, but I am not too good at identifying different types of mushrooms.

John

Knothead
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Don't eat mushrooms except in a restaurant. With my luck, I would get a hallucinogen or poisonous species.
buzz, I attended OU from '65-'67. When they were talking about the bouncy ball playoffs, OU was described as the #1 party school in the country. At least we are #1 in something!:biggrin:

buzzmcmanus
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Gettin my head on straight before the FSU game in Nashville 2 weeks ago.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/IMAG0583.jpg

JohnH0802, there is a species called a "false motel" that is mildly poisonous. I have never heard of someone ever finding one. I wouldn't even know how to identify them, and I've been foraging for them for years. If you want to start, you should get a good mushroom book. I own several mushroom books and all of them list possible similar species that are poisonous. Most of the ones in my pictures have no known similar poisonous species. It would also greatly benefit to tag along with someone who has some experience. UT offers some 1 day classes about foraging that are usually on a Saturday. It might offer you a chance to slip back into ETN for a weekend.