PDA

View Full Version : 2 hours at Tremont

rivergal
03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I fished 2 hours along the gravel road at Tremont today. I had one good bite
on a bhpt. I only saw one fish feeding on the surface ,and he was not interested in my dry fly. It was very overcast this afternoon at Tremont.

jross
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Water was high wasn't it?

StayLow
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Spent about 3 hrs above Elkmont...4 fish, a good 10 in brown (on a dry). The hatch never materialized. Lots of water.

ChemEAngler
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I consider the roadside portion of MPLR to be the hardest of any to fish on the TN side of the park. I contribute it to the quantity of fishermen it consistently sees on a daily basis. Dare I say, but I feel more hate for this section of water than love. I routinely drive right past it to fish other small streams in the area, and if I am really looking for some fantastic fishing I expect to put in at least 6 miles roundtrip hiking.

That being said, the headwaters above the parking area are some fantastic streams.

I have found that just a little bit of leg time, even 1/2 mile, will increase your fishing success.

rivergal
03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
You are right about Tremont being crowded. I was short on time, and spent
too much time looking at wildflowers instead of fishing in a better location.

Knothead
03-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Tremont crowded? I have fished it a number of times and only seen one or two other anglers. Fished during the week and weekends- same same.

AKSkim
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I fished 2 hours along the gravel road at Tremont today.

Look at it this way, you were out there fishing and the rest of us were sitting in our offices.

Want-a-switch ?

Just kidding, I actually love what I do, even more than fishing you might say.

But it is nice to be out there ...

mattblick
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Tremont crowded? I have fished it a number of times and only seen one or two other anglers. Fished during the week and weekends- same same.

Was going to visit Sam in the headwaters above Tremont bright and early on Monday 4/2. As I pulled up there were 2 guys getting out of a white pickup that looked very concerned that they might have company.

I let them have a couple minutes head start and as I started hiking up from the gravel parking lot a third vehicle, a green pickup arrived as well.

I just about caught up with the 2 anglers after the 2nd bridge (metal with cables; when did that tree fall on it?)

Seeing footprints on rocks and possibly having someone else behind me isn't part of the Sam's experience for me, so I stopped there and fished the middle prong back down to the parking lot, and had it all to myself. I fished for about four hours, had a lot of hits and a landed handful - a lot of fun with the feisty little rainbows pounding a Thunderhead dry.

As I drove back down there were several "wide load" semis with huge concrete blocks of some sort - what's going on at the Institute? As I got to the intersection with Laurel Creek Rd, the gate was closed but thankfully not locked (I was already in trouble for leaving the wife and kids at the cabin too long).

-Matt-

Knothead
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Matt, maybe I'm lucky or just living right. :biggrin: I have fished the MPLR many times and been the only one on it. Fished from the turnaround to the main road.
I always like to follow others and catch what they miss. I used to do that with my son and he would get mad that he missed fish!

BlueRaiderFan
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I consider the roadside portion of MPLR to be the hardest of any to fish on the TN side of the park. I contribute it to the quantity of fishermen it consistently sees on a daily basis. Dare I say, but I feel more hate for this section of water than love. I routinely drive right past it to fish other small streams in the area, and if I am really looking for some fantastic fishing I expect to put in at least 6 miles roundtrip hiking.

That being said, the headwaters above the parking area are some fantastic streams.

I have found that just a little bit of leg time, even 1/2 mile, will increase your fishing success.

Wow Travis...I've had the best luck there. Got my biggest one on in the park and my biggest to hand so far on that stretch. I tie my own flies so they may be seeing something they don't see too often, hence my good luck...maybe I've just hit it at the right times. I love that stretch though. Funny how people have differenct views on places in the park.

tnflyfisher
04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know if it is a confidence thing or what but I routinely skip a lot of the lower parts of MPLR. I usually start just before what I call the "Cliffside" pull off or in those parts and then moving upstream, hit my favorite holes. Some of the lower river looks great and I may at times take a cast here and there but I have not had much luck down there. However, in the upper reaches I have never found a problem finding fish. I also like fishing the lower section of Thunderhead Prong from Sams down to where it joins MPLR.

Tight Lines,

GrouseMan77
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Wow Travis...I've had the best luck there. Got my biggest one on in the park and my biggest to hand so far on that stretch. I tie my own flies so they may be seeing something they don't see too often, hence my good luck...maybe I've just hit it at the right times. I love that stretch though. Funny how people have differenct views on places in the park.

One man's trash is another man's treasure....I hate that road side section. Glad you like it BRF. I have set out to fish it a handful of times and have done ok. Agree with Travis on the walking...you got to pay to play.

Knothead
04-10-2012, 04:15 PM
After re-reading this thread, let me add that my first experience on the MPLR (and the Park) was five rainbows, four browns, two brookies. My first and only GSMNP Grand Slam- all from the MPLR from the lower end up into the gravel road. I was surprised I caught the brookies at such a low elevation.

GrouseMan77
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
After re-reading this thread, let me add that my first experience on the MPLR (and the Park) was five rainbows, four browns, two brookies. My first and only GSMNP Grand Slam- all from the MPLR from the lower end up into the gravel road. I was surprised I caught the brookies at such a low elevation.

When was this?

tnflyfisher
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

When was this?

My thoughts exactly...
Certainly an impressive day on the Middle Prong but the brookie part has me confused... :confused:

Tight Lines,

nvr2L8
04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
My son and I fished Sams on Friday, April 6. The water was REALLY high after a big rain the night before but when you get a day away you make the most of it.

The first time my fly hit the water (not counting the deep stream crossing :eek:) I caught my first fish - never happened before. We were able to fish the small pockets on the sides and a few slower runs and each caught 6 before my son had to get back for his son's baseball practice.

One notable observation from the day was on the return hike there were thousands of little hoppers or crickets jumping around in the grass along the trail. I concluded that the terrestrials will make an early showing this year along with all the other early signs.

buzzmcmanus
04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Charlie, I think you meant that there were millions of small hoppers. I was up there hiking Sunday, and there were so many, it sounded like rain on the leaves. I've got a picture of one on my camera, and will post it when I get around to it. Most were between 1/4 to 1/2 inch and all were black. Is never seen so many grasshoppers in one place before.

I'm glad some folks like MPLR. I personally dislike the place.

BlueRaiderFan
04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure....I hate that road side section. Glad you like it BRF. I have set out to fish it a handful of times and have done ok. Agree with Travis on the walking...you got to pay to play.

There are some good spots with undercut banks along that road. Lots of deep holes too. I don't see it as a walking issue. I think it depends on if you are after size or not. I know there are large fish up high as well. I'm not so certain that there are as many. I think if a person is out to catch a lot of fish that walking to less travelled runs is a good idea. At this point I am after larger fish. I've gotten into one or two on my last couple of trips. Now I just need to get them to hand. I do want to get into some less travelled areas this trip. With nine days in the mountains, I should have time to do both. My last trip up, I caught about 6 fish in 4 hours along that road. Having said that, I understand it's not for everyone. I just found it interesting the different views on it.

GrouseMan77
04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
There are some good spots with undercut banks along that road. Lots of deep holes too. I don't see it as a walking issue. I think it depends on if you are after size or not. I know there are large fish up high as well. I'm not so certain that there are as many. I think if a person is out to catch a lot of fish that walking to less travelled runs is a good idea. At this point I am after larger fish. I've gotten into one or two on my last couple of trips. Now I just need to get them to hand. I do want to get into some less travelled areas this trip. With nine days in the mountains, I should have time to do both. My last trip up, I caught about 6 fish in 4 hours along that road. Having said that, I understand it's not for everyone. I just found it interesting the different views on it.

The fish, large or small, don't know/care where the roads are...;).

BlueRaiderFan
04-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I think the bigger water of the MP tends to hold more large fish, at least until it gets near the headwaters...same for the east and west prongs, but I could be wrong...it's just been my experience, though I have heard others say the same. I was speaking more to the size of the water on that stretch. I agree where the roads are mean nothing to the fish.

GrouseMan77
04-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I think the bigger water of the MP tends to hold more large fish, at least until it gets near the headwaters...same for the east and west prongs, but I could be wrong...it's just been my experience, though I have heard others say the same. I was speaking more to the size of the water on that stretch. I agree where the roads are mean nothing to the fish.

In your opinion, what would be a large fish for the MP? Just wondering...as I rarely ever fish it. I do fish other streams in the area. My problem may be that I have never left the house saying that I am going to only target large fish. I'm starting to get interested in that a little but right now I just enjoy catching fish.

BlueRaiderFan
04-11-2012, 12:11 AM
I've seen them in the 22" range and had them on in the 20" range. Big water generally means bigger fish in my experience. My average on the MP is around 11". Having said all of this, there may be some pro's on here that know better. I don't know that much compared to a guide. It's just from my observation over the past few years. I've seen others pull large fish from that area as well. I do believe that the occasional large fish can be found up high, I just think that a person stands a better chance of catching one on the EP, MP or WP down where the water is bigger. Anyway, I have a lot more of the park to fish before I can form a solid opinion. I just happen to like that stretch myself, at least so far...I may change my mind over time. The one thing I don't like about it is I usually see at least 3-4 other anglers when I go. Not a lot but a lot when you consider you can fish higher up or on the lower end of a head water and aren't likely to see any. I've fished Jakes Creek right by the campground and caught 12" fish and not seen anyone for hours...though that would be a large fish on that stretch, in my experience. The few small streams I've fished in the park my average is around 8-9". It goes up by 2-3" down low...now if I can just land one of those larger fish...I have a chance thanks to David's advice on tippet. He had told me before but I had forgotten. Sorry for the rant.

Rog 1
04-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Tremont was one of the streams that I fished early in my beginning years in the Park since I was dependent on relatives to get me to the water....this was one of my grandfather's favorite streams and thus I got to know it fairly well...we would usually start fishing above the cascades back then and later when he couldn't hike very far the lower sections allowed him to fish along the roadside....the last time I fished up there with my son I managed a very colorful 12" bow from just above the last tall bridge...that section from the bridge to the parking area has some special memories for me...right now I am just counting the years until they let us back up Lynn Camp .

Bran
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
This is a nice thread, very informative! I love the MP area there, I mean it's beautiful and I've enjoyed fishing there several times. That said, I've not done very well there any of those trips, but, I've never done well at
Elkmont either. I've just never been able to figure out Little River at all but I can go over and catch fish in almost any of the PR watershed. I can't understand that, and maybe I just need to hire a guide one time on the LR to see what the heck I'm doing wrong.

tnflyfisher
04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I've seen them in the 22" range and had them on in the 20" range.

You must have a sixth sense in fish measuring ability to so accurately formulate the length of a fish without even bringing it to hand... :biggrin:

Unfortunately, in my experience they are often not as big as I thought once I get out the tape measure... :frown:

Kidding aside... I have no doubt that there are a few bigger browns lurking in some of those MP holes. For me personally, I fish the park just for the experience of being in the park and if I tag a big one, great! I have no problem at all catching a mess of 10" fish and find it just as fun. When I head to the mountains, I'm not really thinking 'big fish' or I would have just hit one of the tailwaters instead...

Tight Lines,

BlueRaiderFan
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, these are just guesses. God knows I can't even measure with the fish in hand. As far as catching big fish in the park, it's a goal of mine. I'm happy to be in the park but want to get one or two big one's to hand to prove to myself that I can do it. I still enjoy the serenity though. ;)

tnflyfisher
04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
As far as catching big fish in the park, it's a goal of mine. I'm happy to be in the park but want to get one or two big one's to hand to prove to myself that I can do it.

If you are hooking fish even remotely close in size to what you are claiming, I say don't sweat it... I would imagine that those bigger fish are pretty highly pressured along the MP and getting them on the end of your line is the real accomplishment. Anyone can lose a big fish, happens to me all the time... :frown: However, not everyone can convince them to bite though... sounds like you have a leg up on a lot of folks when it comes to fishing the MPLR and I tip my hat to you...

Tight Lines,

BlueRaiderFan
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't know...Maybe I'm just more easily impressed due to inexperience. As far as hooking into bigger fish, I think (emphasis on think) I have figured a couple of things out. As I've stated before, I am headed up on the 21st and will be staying (hopefully) at Elkmont for 9 days. I'll put my theories to the test as I've only been into a couple of really big ones. We'll see...I may come back humbled (probably will).

GrouseMan77
04-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't know...Maybe I'm just more easily impressed due to inexperience. We'll see...I may come back humbled (probably will).

Either way...you'll be out there.:cool:

BlueRaiderFan
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Either way...you'll be out there.:cool:

Yes I will be! :biggrin: You guys drop by and say hello...I should have a bottle of something, beer and some chow. ;)

cytaylor
04-28-2012, 05:44 PM
If you are hooking fish even remotely close in size to what you are claiming, I say don't sweat it... I would imagine that those bigger fish are pretty highly pressured along the MP and getting them on the end of your line is the real accomplishment. Anyone can lose a big fish, happens to me all the time... :frown: However, not everyone can convince them to bite though... sounds like you have a leg up on a lot of folks when it comes to fishing the MPLR and I tip my hat to you...

Tight Lines,

I can't talk about a fish I hooked, but I can talk about one that I saw...

Probably 10 years ago in the fall I was pool hopping up the MP fishing a BHPT or such under an orange yarn indicator. I snuck up on a plunge pool and dropped straight down in the eddy right in the corner...and one of the larger browns I have ever put my eyes on floated up and grabbed my indicator.

I would have been proud of that fish if it came out of the N. Platte. It was scary big. Maybe in the 20's. Shoot, almost surely in the 20's.

I haven't fished that water in several years. The last couple of times I fished along the road I shared the water with an otter. One time the SOB would race me to the next pool. If you think wet boot tracks are bad news, try to fish behind an otter.

That water used to be pretty fair fishing, but I gave up on it.

tnflyfisher
05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
It was scary big. Maybe in the 20's. Shoot, almost surely in the 20's.

Just FYI but scary big is more like 30"+ ... :biggrin:

Tight Lines,