PDA

View Full Version : Forney

Oldman
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Although I have fished Forney I have not been up to CCC #71 yet. This Friday we will be hiking up to 71 From Tunnel road. Question I would like to know is this, Are there any wet creek crossing to 71? Thanks in advance.

JayB
04-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I dont know about if you take forney creek trail up, we took whiteoak branch as a shortcut. There were two or 3 small crossings you could rock hop across in dryer weather I would imagine. We ended up having to get wet a couple of places, but it was after a rain, and the creeks were swollen out of their banks and spilling into the trail in a couple of places. I havent been on Forney creek trail between 74 and where whiteoak comes in to know anything about that stretch.

jumperdoc
04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I did a tunnel to Clingmans trip a couple of years back. If memory serves, the trail stays to the east of the stream the whole way to #71. I can't remember if Springhouse Branch was a log or wet crossing, but either way I can't imagine that it would be a very difficult crossing. That was a mid-summer trip so water levels were pretty low. Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in on this.

Oldman
04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Whiteoak branch trail is the one we are taking to get to 71 from Tunnel Rd. With the rains that are coming down now and the ones for Sat night just courious as to any dangers involved.

JayB
04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I wouldnt consider any of it dangerous, just a lot of water in the trail, so you will get your feet wet. The stream crossings are all smalls tribs, that I imagine you could step over in summer, but were flowing pretty well while we there. The worst water we went through was knee high on a 5 year old, so nothing dangerous.
I would be more worried about the winds with the storm coming Saturday. I was supposed to take a group of teens out there Saturday and Sunday but decided to hold off. Last i saw on weather.com they were saying the storms on Saturday could be severe. I've been through one lightning storm up there with no wind and that was enough for me. I worry more about falling branches in the smokys more than I do bears, but thats just me.

ifish4wildtrout
04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Email me some pics when you get back.

Oldman
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Email me some pics when you get back.

Pics of us getting drowned at the campsite or being washed downstream to Fontana. If I remember to bring the camera I will.

JoeFred
04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Oldman, here is my understanding. At the junction of Whiteoaks Branch & Forney Creek Trails, you would need to wet cross Whiteoaks Branch. After that, it appears that Forney Creek Trail stays to the east of Forney Creek all of the 1.3 miles up to CS 71. The quad shows that at one time the trail crossed Forney (or side streams of it) three times. Have good trip.
JF

old tom
04-19-2012, 06:59 AM
We got over 2" of rain in the last couple of days. Some areas close to 3". The young paddlers from the NOC were running the cascades at the top of the upper Nan yesterday and I understand they need at least 2" of rain to be able to run it.

Younger Tom and I fished Forney several springs ago after some heavy rains and had a tough go at it. We caught a few fish, but it slap wore me out wading in the high water all day long. Some drainage areas drop faster than others, and Forney, contrary to what we thought, seems to be one that is slow to come down.

No saying change your plans, but just something to think about.

Oldman
04-19-2012, 07:54 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking about Tom. More rain on Sat and Sat night. Sounds like a report on this trip will be about snakes,bears,hogs,rain,floods and being cold and wet than catching fish.

duckypaddler
04-19-2012, 08:32 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking about Tom. More rain on Sat and Sat night. Sounds like a report on this trip will be about snakes,bears,hogs,rain,floods and being cold and wet than catching fish.

Yeah, but if you carry a kayak in with you, you won't even have to hike out:smile:

Oldman
04-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but if you carry a kayak in with you, you won't even have to hike out:smile:

I could use my sleep pad as an alternative.

Lakeshore trail and then up Forney is a few tenths of a mile shorter than taking Whiteoak branch trail. Question is which is easier??? At 55 years young I need to know.

tnflyfisher
04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
We got over 2" of rain in the last couple of days. Some areas close to 3".

So is there a way to check NC water levels on say the Fontana streams like Hazel and Forney before one heads out for a trip? Being relatively new to fishing the park, so far I am only familiar with checking Byron's fishing report to get a feel how things are looking on the TN side. Any references would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on trying to hit that area here in the near future.

Tight Lines,

old tom
04-21-2012, 11:06 AM
This is the site I use for my reference. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=100202 Unfortunately there are only two streams listed in Swain County, none in Graham County and one in Jackson. Those are the counties around the WNC side of the Park So all you can do is get a general idea of what conditions may be like.