PDA

View Full Version : Directions to LRO

muskrat
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I really want to stop at LRO when we come down to the mountains June 23.
We will spend one night in Gatlinburg then on to Cosby campground for the remainder of the week.
My question is what is the fastest way to get to Townsend and LRO ?
Our motel is very close to the aquarium.

Stana Claus
06-12-2012, 10:09 PM
From right in the heart of Gatlinburg, I would probably say take the bypass around to the Sugarlands Visitor Center then take a right towards Elkmont/Cades Cove. I think it's about 18 miles or so from the Sugarlands to the Townsend Y where you will take another right. LRO is a couple of miles from the Y on the right just past the Trillium Cove shopping center. If you reach the Visitor's Center (on the left) you've gone too far.

The other option would be to go back through Pigeon Forge and hang a left on US Hwy 321 and go through Wears Valley. At the light where 321 hits Townsend, take a right and LRO will be on your right a few blocks away.

tlshealy
06-13-2012, 04:56 AM
When I'm coming from the north, I always go to the park through Townsend and stop at LRO first. Follow the signs to the airport in Knoxville and it will take you to Alcoa Hwy , Maryville, Townsend. It's a much quicker way to the park, and you get a nice drive though the park to get to Gatlinburg instead of bumper to bumper through Pigeon Forge.
Tad

BlueRaiderFan
06-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I would take the Gatlinburg bypass to Pigeon Forge and then Wears Valley Rd over to Townsend. Over the mountain takes forever with all of the slow traffic etc.

muskrat
06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I do like tlshealy's idea of going to Townsend first.That way I'm not doubling the driving distance and there can't be any excuses not to go.
Google maps says its the same driving time from my daughters apartment in Indianapolis. It also says about 40min from Townsend to Gatlinburg. Does that sound about right ?

BlueRaiderFan
06-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Yep 40 mins sounds right