PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Tying Challenge

David Knapp
06-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I had an idea that is similar to things I have seen on other forums and would like some feedback. How many people would be interested in participating in a weekly tying challenge?

Here's my idea. At the beginning of the week, a particular fly pattern or style would be announced with the goal of having as many people as possible tying the pattern or their favorite variation and posting a picture. The goal would be twofold. First, It would be a good motivator to get to the tying bench and crank out some patterns. Second, it would be a great opportunity to see what works for different people and hopefully get some ideas of new things to try. The timeframe would be weekly so as to give people plenty of time to participate.

I know there are some excellent tiers on this board whose contributions would allow the rest of us to learn tremendously about the art of tying.

How many people would be interested in something like this?

milligan trout degree
06-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I'd be in.

Grannyknot
06-13-2012, 09:04 PM
I'd probably be up for it every once in a while.

olesmoke
06-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I would try as often as I can ....hey got to be a mulligan in every bunch.

Stonefly
06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Sounds good to me.

steve

PeteCz
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Count me in

TFnut
06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Probably can't do it every week, but it would be a good motivator.

Grannyknot
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I would try as often as I can ....hey got to be a muligan in every bunch.

you know darn well that you don't tie any mulligan's :p
folks, if olesmoke is particpatin', you might as well just sit back and watch.

David Knapp
06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree with you Grannyknot! Every time olesmoke posts some pattern pictures I'm very impressed and just wish my flies turned out as nice.

I'm hoping a few more people will notice this and jump in. I think we'll go ahead and give it a shot starting next week. Be thinking about dry flies for next week...I'll announce a specific pattern or perhaps a bug to match Sunday night or Monday morning. We'll start with locally useful patterns and perhaps if this keeps going with decent participation then we'll branch out to some other stuff later.

DarrinG
06-15-2012, 02:06 AM
I usually do the bulk of my tying in winter months, and spend free-time during warmer months fishing. Cant promise to participate every week, but I'd jump in from time-to-time also

buckeyetrouter
06-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Back from Africa & ready to get back into some tying, won't be able to hit every week, but sure will give it a try (may have to replenish my supplies).....

Darrin, good to see you.....sure miss CFF board.

olesmoke
06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
appreciate the compliments fellows and will try to earn them.Just got back from 3 full days (daylight until dark )fishing on the South Holston and boy some people are so lucky to have such a jewel in the back yard.Let this be a learning opportunity for the new tyers...join in and show your stuff.The fish are not looking for art but something that looks like food.

ChemEAngler
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
David,

I just saw this, and it sounds like fun. My participation will be very sporadic with everything going on right now, but I look forward to the interaction.

Flyh2o
06-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I will participate just don't laugh to loud.