PDA

View Full Version : Visitor Center Fishing Smarts

JoeFred
06-16-2012, 12:39 PM
When you LAST asked a staff member at a Visitor Center about fishing in the Park, which of the options best describes that person's knowledge of the subject, or willingness to ask for help? (If you wish to comment, please be considerate. Many of the persons are unpaid volunteers or interns.)

William
06-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I talked to a lady that gave me a map and circled some hot spots for me. I was pretty happy with the experience

Don Kirk
06-17-2012, 08:26 PM
The reason I work my first book was at the suggestion of an older lady (seemed old in those days...), that said to me, "Son, if you want a guide book to fishing park waters, you will need to write if yourself. At the time I was not aware of Joe Manley's book. So that's how that happened.

Speaking of Joe, I found some old notes I took with him years ago. Has anyone heard anything about Manley and Willis King stocking Forge Creek with cutthroat trout? Manley said the gene from the stocking where still evident in the creek into the 1960s.

David Knapp
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Speaking of Joe, I found some old notes I took with him years ago. Has anyone heard anything about Manley and Willis King stocking Forge Creek with cutthroat trout? Manley said the gene from the stocking where still evident in the creek into the 1960s.

There are fish with more than a little cutthroat heritage in LR as well. I have no idea as to the history but those brilliant red slashes are hard to miss...

Dawgvet
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Easy on Steve. If it wasn't for him and alot of his work, we wouldn't be fishing for broot trout in the park. I've personally worked elbow to elbow with him and found him to be a dedicated preserver of our natural heritage and cared deeply about the Park.
Regards,
Jedidiah Green

JoeFred
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I think very highly of all the fisheries staff, which was not even the topic. I am not at all sure where this thread is headed, but it certainly isn't where I had intended.

Paula, since it doesn't appear I can do so, please close the poll... and perhaps lock this thread. I think we have sufficient data to say the visitor center staff is doing a reasonably good job assisting anglers or would be anglers.

I'm finally getting to fish out of Smokemont next week and may be posting an actual thread about fishing for a change for me. I'm swearing off this kind. I much prefer cool clear water over being in hot water. :smile:

pmike
06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
I obtain information from LRO and the folks there. I have spoken with a few folks in the various visitor centers that seemed somewhat knowledgeable. One fellow was especially so and on a couple of occasions we conversed at length. One young lady I spoke to at the Dollywood kisok was a bit full of herself and obnoxious, perhaps and age issue or maybe just pride.

Mike