PDA

View Full Version : I know where the fish in the lower Clinch are!

Flat Fly n
07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
In the belly of the 35#+ striper I saw along with the other 20 stripers she was hanging out with!!! In that deep section above Cold Water and below Offut shoals in the bend. No mistaking what these were. No visible "threadfin shad" schools either so that bunk won't fly. We also saw a few stripers below Donny Scruggs's farm as well.

Maybe a bounty tournament? Big money for some stripers caught in the upper Clinch some weekend. Kill'em and grill'em tournament at 61 Bridge Ramp some Saturday? Anybody in? I will throw out the first $100 to the winner, bring the grill, and the refeshments! HA!

Disclaimer: While the above tournament probably would not be legal it is a shame that the river is coming back only to have these packs of wolves feeding off what we and the state have tried to improve over the past few years.

Grannyknot
07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
They're darn good when the big filets are cut down, marinated in buttermilk, then fried just like catfish. I like a 1:1 cornmeal and flour mixture.

I do my part on the lake, but they're too hard for me to fish for on the river.
Talk about fish in a barrel.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/stacking.jpg

David Knapp
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Maybe a bounty tournament? Big money for some stripers caught in the upper Clinch some weekend. Kill'em and grill'em tournament at 61 Bridge Ramp some Saturday? Anybody in? I will throw out the first $100 to the winner, bring the grill, and the refeshments! HA!

Man if I had a boat I would be over there! I love fishing for stripers but really hate seeing them in perfectly good trout water. There are some monsters over on the Caney and while water quality issues plague that tailwater, I have to also think that the stripers aren't helping the situation. Got some live rainbows at a bait shop and drift them through that area during generation. I'll bet you could catch a good number of stripers and "accidentally" hit them pretty hard on the head... :rolleyes:

Flat Fly n
07-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Tennessee allows you to use gamefish to catch gamefish! That makes sense, huh? I've seen the striper guys fishing above the weir, putting trout into 5 gal. buckets and then walking back and hopping in their rigs with striper boat in tow.

Bowfish for stripers? Is that legal?

Rockyraccoon
07-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I saw the same pack of Stripes last Thursday. Big and blue, with at least 15 in the school. Same place too. I've seen a few other smaller schools and a few loners.

I don't care what anybody else thinks.....I guarantee any stripes that are caught will have at least one trout in them, but more than likely several will be in their gut.

A few years back, a 32lb striper was caught on the Hiwassee around the Devils Shoals area. It had 9 trout in it's gut, including a 14" brown trout.

Sure would be nice if we could keep them out of the tailwater. Whether it be by a kill'em all tournament, electroshock, or anything else that would work. Count me in.

waterwolf
07-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Your guardian angel is working on the problem currently....:biggrin:

MadisonBoats
07-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Most of my striper fishing buds fish for them with 10-12" trout on balloons:eek:. One of my friends came close to breaking the state record on the Clinch last year with a big boy striper. I see them all the time and they don't take a second look at my flies. However; it is almost always on low water. I actually got my GoPro within a foot or two of a few of them swimming around.

Flat Fly n
07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
That would be in the mid-60's # range then. OOOOHHHH yeah, the Clinch is just full of threadfin shad!

Kill 'em all!

waterwolf
07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Here are a couple of the culprits, they no longer have a pulse. My head is gone to obscure the section of river where they came from.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/limbhanger_photos/IMGP0623-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/limbhanger_photos/IMGP0633-1.jpg

MadisonBoats
07-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Jim,
Those are impressive catches. It looks like you took them on low-flow. Did you get them on a fly rod? That would be a fabulous battle....

Wilson10
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Those stripers have definitely been eating well

Grannyknot
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Here are a couple of the culprits, they no longer have a pulse. My head is gone to obscure the section of river where they came from.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/limbhanger_photos/IMGP0623-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/limbhanger_photos/IMGP0633-1.jpg

M.R. Bigguns

waterwolf
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Jim,
Those are impressive catches. It looks like you took them on low-flow. Did you get them on a fly rod? That would be a fabulous battle....

Those were caught with the water running about 1/2 a generator. They did not come on a fly, I honestly do not know that it is possible to land stripers that size on a fly rod in the Clinch. I have caught some big ones over the years on flies, but those are in an entirely different league. On conventional tackle they are an unbelievable handful.

Rockyraccoon
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
A hero emerges from the banks of the river to fight, fight for the lives of our precious trout.

Thanks Jim!

waterwolf
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
A hero emerges from the banks of the river to fight, fight for the lives of our precious trout.

Thanks Jim!
....:biggrin:

MadisonBoats
07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Those were caught with the water running about 1/2 a generator. They did not come on a fly, I honestly do not know that it is possible to land stripers that size on a fly rod in the Clinch. I have caught some big ones over the years on flies, but those are in an entirely different league. On conventional tackle they are an unbelievable handful.

I believe I know where this photo was taken. There have been a lot of stripers in that area this year. Also; I have noticed them in more areas than years previous. I stalked a school Wednesday trying to video them; but, the water was still too stained.

I agree that catching one on a fly seems super elusive. Especially for me. I have thrown about everything at them and only once had a slight chase. Not that I could have landed the fish; just wanted to give it a try...I saw several guys throwing 10-12" rapalas at them this week. I assume those are working well on low flows. The rest of the time; it seems that fisherman balloon float for them during high water.

Again, great catch and fabulous fish! I would like to land one to add to the bucket list.

waterwolf
07-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Sadly the only ones I have ever hooked on the fly in the Clinch were briefly "hooked" after eating a trout I was fighting. I have caught piles of them below Fort Loudon Dam on a fly, but nothing even close to that big. I think the biggest one I ever caught on a fly was around 20 lbs and on an 8 wt it was an absolute handful.

Both of those fish fought as visciously as any fish, fresh or saltwater I have caught. The shear power and speed they have is mind boggling. I personally think stripers are a magnificent game fish, but they need to be restricted to areas where Shad are prolific and they don't do massive damage to another sport fish population.

In full disclosure those came on live bait, sans balloon. The live bait of choice is a 10"-12" rainbow. Stocker rainbows don't work so well because they have a piss poor work eithic, you need to the fiesty ones. It sucks to kill trout to do this, but killing a few to save many makes it a little more tolerable.

Kill them all.

Grannyknot
07-06-2012, 09:47 AM
..... I personally think stripers are a magnificent game fish, but they need to be restricted to areas where Shad are prolific and they don't do massive damage to another sport fish population.

I wonder if the shad populations on Melton Hill are dwindling, causing the stripers to move upstream into the trout water. Almost every person I know who fishes for Stripers on the lakes catches their bait on Melton Hill the night before. Maybe this is putting a hurtin on their populations....

Rockyraccoon
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Hey Jim,

I forgot to ask.... Did you check out what they've been eating?

I'm sure those pigs consumed a ton of trout in their day.

No need to feel bad about the bait sacrifice....Those beast would have ate your offerings sooner or later.

Oh yea....why are you posting on the message board today. Get your butt back out there and eliminate some more.

Flat Fly n
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
WW,
Were these recent photos? Do I need to send bounty checks out? Still, impressive fish.

For those in the know. Can you take a striper with a bow as in what the carp guys do? Both are trash fish in my opinion. You can't eat either carp or stripers according to the signs by the ramps, so it should be legal. Right?

I hope I don't miss a carp with my bow and just happen to hit a striper. What a shame that would be!;) What this project needs the the Duck Commander dudes!:biggrin:

fourx
07-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Strangest thing. I was in the parking lot directly below the dam looking at the river running 2 generators.
All of a sudden a huge "bait ball" appeared that was totally comprised of thousands of trout! They were being herded by monstrous stripers! Huge cormorant birds were diving into the ball retrieving healthy browns and bows. Some trout were seen actually trying to leap over Norris dam only to be caught in the waiting jaws of several whitetail does that had congregated.
This lasted for about an hour and when it was over all that was left was an oily slick of trout slime with a few deer fighting over some scraps of trout.
The Apocalypse is upon us.
Good luck.

4X

Corbo
07-22-2012, 09:35 PM
WHAT? No pictures? Hmmmmm? Sounds Fishy

But not knowing you personally I will believe you as it is not April 1st..