PDA

View Full Version : Cppperheads and Little River

The Principal
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
My Cousin fished Little River Sat. and caught several Rainbows and a nice 12in Brown.
He came across 3 copperheads. One in the water. He tore a calf muscle avoiding it.
Be careful and watch where you put your feet and hands. The hot dry weather is
pushing them to the water. None of us had ever seen a poisonous snake it the Park
before this trip.

surfdog
07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
I fished tremont last week and had a copperhead swim right up to me, pushed him away with my rod but he was persistant and won the ledge from me. beautiful snake

Don Kirk
07-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I would like to go on record. Contrary to many vicious rumors circuited by members of the Deep Dip Community Church in Del Rio where I once pastured, I have not killed every copperhead and rattlesnake I have ever encountered, or for that matter passed out to members of the congregation during Sunday night services. (The same is not true about water moccasins...). As a matter of fact, three years I released a 24" copperhead alive after I had deftly removed its fangs. (Forceps are handy dandy fishing vest gadgets.)
Many people recommend killing the murderous serpents on sight, and I would not be too quick to contemn their assertions. I personally believe that defanging these vipers is adequate, unless of course you are making a hat band or savor their flaky white meat, as then the demise of the belly crawling vermin is a active consideration. I do not know if the NPS issues rattler/copperhead permits any more, but the next time I am at the Sugarlands, I will ask. Itís always better to ask firstÖ

$3Bridge
07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Willing to bet you probably saw northern water snakes instead of copperheads. Little River is covered with them.

duckypaddler
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Willing to bet you probably saw northern water snakes instead of copperheads. Little River is covered with them.

Unless it had a big triangular head I bet your right:biggrin:

Their marking are eerily similar.

Although I have seen 2 rattlers in the past month, one during Lynn Camp shocking which one of the students had to be put on snake duty, and another on Little Rv trail Mem day weekend that held me up for 20 minutes:eek:

The Principal
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Fished with several Northern Water Snakes. Even caught one in a crawfish trap under my dock.
These were Copperheads!

grouser
07-04-2012, 10:51 PM
This fellow shared a pool with me, Middle Prong, Little River, on Tuesday evening....he did better than I did.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/cjk47/P70300071-1.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/cjk47/P7030005.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/cjk47/P7030006.jpg

bigsur
07-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Yikes! I am scared of three things in this order
#3. Snakes
#2. Bears
My #1 fear: A bear carrying a snake.
This pic is getting close to all three of my fears!

Thunderhead8
07-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Yikes! I am scared of three things in this order
#3. Snakes
#2. Bears
My #1 fear: A bear carrying a snake.
This pic is getting close to all three of my fears!

Be VERY afraid of a snake carrying a bear!

$3Bridge
07-05-2012, 08:54 PM
That northern water snake has a nice catch there. I remember seeing the same thing once on Bradley Fork. The snake and the trout were in a wrestling match with the snake refusing to let go. Finally made over to a brushpile area and ate the rainbow.

lonepixel
07-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I cut a Northern water snake out of someones abandoned casting net earlier this spring. That was one unhappy snake. Luckily my daughter was there to keep the thing pinned down while I cut it free.

ChemEAngler
07-07-2012, 10:31 PM
That looks like a chunky Northern.

Most of my experience with them was in Cherokee NF, and those were all much smaller guys. Regardless of species, it always sends a shock through me when any snake pops out of nowhere around me.

BigSur,

I think your list pretty closely matches mine except with the following modifications:

3. Bears
2. Snakes
1a. a bear carrying a copperhead and rattlesnake
1b. a Rosie O'Donnell lead PETA march along Little River Trail.

One exception would be that if both 1a & 1b above were to occur simultaneously. That would make for an interesting show.

Corbo
07-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I could care less about bears BUT snakes (regardless of make & model) give me the creeps.... anyone know where to purchase snake proof no-sweat waders?

There were no poisonous snakes back in Maine but to many liberals so I moved here to the buckle of the Bible belt where the fly fishing is awesome 365. Still a good trade.

FishNHunt
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
As a matter of fact, three years I released a 24" copperhead alive after I had deftly removed its fangs. (Forceps are handy dandy fishing vest gadgets.)
Many people recommend killing the murderous serpents on sight, and I would not be too quick to contemn their assertions. I personally believe that defanging these vipers is adequate, unless of course you are making a hat band or savor their flaky white meat, as then the demise of the belly crawling vermin is a active consideration. I do not know if the NPS issues rattler/copperhead permits any more, but the next time I am at the Sugarlands, I will ask. Itís always better to ask firstÖ

By "defanging" the copperhead it is highly likely that you condemed it to a death by starvation when you released it. You would have been doing it a favor to have simply killed it by decapitation. Without it's fangs it would have been like you trying to land a trout on a fly tyed on a straight needle.
A copperhead or rattler does make my heart race when I first spot them but, once I've saw them they don't bother me. I was "tagged" by a copperhead in the Cherokee National forest once while on a deer hunt in November. By sheer luck he struck my pants leg and his fangs struck the fold in my pants leg and they didn't make it to skin. He then was stuck to my pants and I began to dance, yell, and scream like a crazy man trying to get him loose. The guy with me thought I was being stung by yellow jackets and dropped his cart and ran. I shucked my pack off my back and finally stomped the sucker off my pants only to have him slither under my pack. NICE!!! I jerked my pack up real quick and was met by a white mouth coming at me that looked like it could have swallowed a baseball. I finally got a stick long enough to move him and flipped him off the trail and down into the cold creek about 30 yards away. Then my crazy friend (still standing safely down the trail) went to shooting at him. The snake was no worse off after they guy ran out of bullets than he was before he started shooting. I tore off my pants and while standing in my skivvies had my buddy check me for holes that weren't surposed to be there and thankfully, there were none.
Another time I had stopped to listen for my dogs while runnning then in the early fall and started to feel something moving under my boot. When I turned on my flash light I was straddling a 12" copper head under my boot and he was striking my boot. Little fella just wanted my 230# off him and he beat a quick retreat.
Another time I while running my dogs one night I stopped to pee and in mid .... stream.... I heard a vibrating sound. I reached for my phone, which I carry on vibrate but, there was no one calling. That was interesting. After I finished I stood there a second to see if I could hear it again and I did. It was almost at my feet. My first thought was "oh crap I'm standing on the entrance of a yellow jackets nest". I didn't know what to do so I just ran several yards and flipped on my light fully expecting to see 100's of yellow jackets filling the air but, there was nothing. My curiosity got the better of me and I went to investigate and there laying on the ground soaking wet was an 18-20" rattler. I had peed on the sucker!! The reason he didn't make the tail taled rattler sound (I guessed)was that he only had a single button.

I have saw more copperheads (interestingly I've only saw 2 rattlers thou) on the other side of Chilhowee lake while hunting. That place seems to be crawling with copperheads or maybe it's because I spend so much time there. I've saw several swimming the lake and if you want to know if it's a copperhead or water snake watch it's head. A water snake swims with it's head at or near the water line and their body appears to be "sinking" in the water but, a copperhead (and rattler) USUALLY swims with their heads higher (3" or so) off the water and their body all most appears to be floating.

FishNHunt
07-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Forgot to mention....Incase anyone wanted to know a copperheads eyes glow yellow when they reflect a light shined at them. Can't remember what a rattlers eyes glow thou. Also, hogs (wild or not) suck up venomous and nonvenomous snakes alike like they are candy.

lonepixel
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
That defanged copperhead may be just fine. They actually have 5 to 7 sets of replacement fangs that come in quickly when one is lost. Or taken as the case may be.

FishNHunt
07-08-2012, 03:09 PM
That defanged copperhead may be just fine. They actually have 5 to 7 sets of replacement fangs that come in quickly when one is lost. Or taken as the case may be.

You may be right.

mora521
07-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Great post FishNHunt.A relatives property in Friendsville is teeming with copperheads and I catch quite a few each year and release them up around Sams Creek and Thunderhead Prong.

duckypaddler
07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Great post FishNHunt.A relatives property in Friendsville is teeming with copperheads and I catch quite a few each year and release them up around Sams Creek and Thunderhead Prong.

I bet you just scared the crap out a bunch people with that statement:eek:

Or maybe just trying to decrease the pressure:rolleyes:

Flat Fly n
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I could care less about bears BUT snakes (regardless of make & model) give me the creeps.... anyone know where to purchase snake proof no-sweat waders?

There were no poisonous snakes back in Maine but to many liberals so I moved here to the buckle of the Bible belt where the fly fishing is awesome 365. Still a good trade.

Liberals/Snakes.....what's the difference?

flyman
07-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Only 2 kinds of snakes, live ones, and dead ones:biggrin: Snakes really don't scare me much. But, I don't like monkeys or clowns:biggrin:

lauxier
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
On Copperheads
Several years ago,while i was interning for Begley Drug Co, a senior customer,large land owner,farmer,came into the drugstore,said he was looking for an employee who was supposed to be stopping by the drug store for some salve.
I said--what's the salve for
he said-we's bailing hay this morning and he got bit by a copperhead....he's needing some salve to rub on it
I said---well a salve may not do it---he may need to go to the hospital---wht's keeping him!
he said....SAID HE'D BE HERE PRESENTLY,BUT HE HAD A THING OR TWO HE HAD TO PICK UP AT THE WESTERN AUTO AND THE A&P........!$#@(&^!!!.....
the guy eventually showed up with a hand the size of a catchers mitt and swelling----would not go to the hospital
bought the salve
saw him again several months later---he said....i liked to have never got over coppy bite,thought i was a goner til my grandma had me soak my bit hand in crude oil snd kerosene,think it run the poisons out cause i got well in no time.....
---a true story-----

jeffnles1
07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Snakes don't bother me. I'm not real interested in taking a long walk holding hands in the moonlight with a rattler, copperhead or moccasin but they don't scare me.

Now, if you want to hear me scream like a little girl that someone just threw an icky worm on, show me a spider.

Spiders, I have no use for at all.

Jeff

Don Kirk
07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the viper fang news update. I am returning to Plan A, which is kill them all. The next time you read about a kid being bit by a copperhead or rattler, please be assured that it was one of those murderous critters that never crossed my path.

I also do not fleas, skunks, spiders, slugs, welks, wasps, bats, yellowjackets, ticks, rats, liberals, cats, hornets, and otters, but not necessarily in that order. I do like Makers Mark, dogs, mules, parrots, decent cigars, roosters, escargo and goldfish. I am not so sure about horses, kippers, frogs, mare's milk, hogs, and goats.

duckypaddler
07-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the viper fang news update. I am returning to Plan A, which is kill them all. The next time you read about a kid being bit by a copperhead or rattler, please be assured that it was one of those murderous critters that never crossed my path.

I never really hear reports of snake bites killing children let alone anyone:rolleyes:.
And in the small chance you got bit, you should have no problem getting to the hospital in 24 hours, and the most you will likely suffer is some tissue damage.

If your that scared of snakes you might want to watch out for bees since they kill like 20 times as many people, and you better never step into a car;)

Sometimes we get our good and bad fear mixed up. Good fear - stay back - give them their space
Bad Fear - must kill them all.

jross
07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
caught part of a show on History called "United Stats of America" (not states but stats).... It had a segment on our fears. To sum it up; we're afraid of things that statistically we shouldn't be.

Flying in a plane is very very safe, but driving in a car isn't, comparatively.

And something like only 4 people die from snake bites in the entire U.S. in a year. Those that die are men, 18-30, who are playing with the snake. The "let's get a closer look, mate" type.

flyman
07-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't like bees either!

flyman
07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm never going outside again:biggrin:

flyman
07-11-2012, 09:52 AM
caught part of a show on History called "United Stats of America" (not states but stats).... It had a segment on our fears. To sum it up; we're afraid of things that statistically we shouldn't be.

Flying in a plane is very very safe, but driving in a car isn't, comparatively.

And something like only 4 people die from snake bites in the entire U.S. in a year. Those that die are men, 18-30, who are playing with the snake. The "let's get a closer look, mate" type.

Did it say how many were killed by monkeys and clowns?:biggrin:

flyman
07-11-2012, 09:55 AM

I also do not fleas, skunks, spiders, slugs, welks, wasps, bats, yellowjackets, ticks, rats, liberals, cats, hornets, and otters, but not necessarily in that order. I do like Makers Mark, dogs, mules, parrots, decent cigars, roosters, escargo and goldfish. I am not so sure about horses, kippers, frogs, mare's milk, hogs, and goats.

Murderous?

David Knapp
07-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Everyone should immediate quit fishing in the Park. There are far too many dangers out there. I'll offer my services to invade the wild in search of trout and return here to report on my endeavors.....if I survive. I'll expect no more competition from other fishermen on Little River from this point on... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

ChemEAngler
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM

You shouldn't joke about stuff like monkeys or clowns...

Grannyknot
07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Rabbit costumes. They just creep me out. They have no place in this world.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/24189/20080502093707_thumb.jpg

duckypaddler
07-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Clowns just go for the psychological scars:rolleyes:

Monkeys will tear off your face, but most likely, won't kill you:biggrin:

I won't mention any more about your house or you may just hide under the bed. No wait that wouldn't be safe either, you would absord the flame retardants. Ooh no I've already said too much:eek:

Rob Johnson
07-12-2012, 12:46 AM
:rolleyes:Anybody actually been bit by a bear or a spider or a snake?:eek: Mosquitoes and ticks are more likely to ruin your summer than a copperhead. What scares me? Monkeys ( but only if they are flying and dressed like hotel bellboys) and that skinny blond with tatoos, cut off shorts, and tank top that was drinking a beer, smoking an odd looking cigarette and screamed at me for fifteen minutes from a rock below Metcalf Bottoms last month. I may join Flyman an stay home for awhile;). Let Mr. Knapp do the heavy lifting.:smile:

07-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Not to sure about defanging. Surely he spoke in jest. The snakes, bears and yellowjackets are all part of the unavoidable adventure you must assume when entering the park. Best advice is to watch where you put your hands and feet. The rocks on little river do grow snakes!
Lee

Joel
07-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Just got on today after being in Townsend for Trout Fest. Fishing Tremont, rounded a big rock and came head to head with a timber rattler about a quarter mile from the main parking lot. Did some research and found that there are only two venemous snakes in the park, copperheads and timbers. So, yes, I agree be careful especially in warm temperatures we are experiencing now.

Don Kirk
07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Can you be more specific where you saw the rattler? Would you judge it to be hat band, or belt size murderous serpent? Really hoping to find a rod case size size canebreak too, but I am not that picky.I would even be interested in smaller, "reel grip" size rattlers.

smccarter
07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
When it comes to snake bites, are most waders thick enough to protect you?

smccarter
07-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Rabbit costumes. They just creep me out. They have no place in this world.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/24189/20080502093707_thumb.jpg
Is that my old friend Harvy, I have not seen him in years. I went into the doctor for a checkup, he gave me some new meds and Harvy never came back to see me. If that is him please tell him I said Hi and I would like to finish our chess match.

pmike
07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
...most waders would not stop the fangs of a snake from puncturing. LL Bean used to sella wader they called "Wicked Tough" as best I can recall and it was made from
"kevlar", the stuff that bullet proof vests were/are made from. They might provide a bit of protection.

Mike

jeffnles1
07-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Never been bit by a snake and don't care to find out what it's like. I was bit by a black widow spider when I was about 12. As you can tell, 40 years later, I'm typing this, it didn't kill me. My arm swelled up and it hurt but that's all. As a result, I'm no fan of spiders. Don't like them, don't want to be around them, have no use fo rthem.

Snakes don't bother me.

Bees are a pest. Get stund a few times a summer. Don't really like that either but it's not a big deal. I don't seem to be alleric to stings.

Jeff