PDA

View Full Version : 4000 ft., Tellico and Brook Trout

Breck
08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Water is 63 degrees and Tellico water is running strong.
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Sycamore%20Creek/IMG_0127.jpg?t=1344466814

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Sycamore%20Creek/IMG_0125.jpg?t=1344467176

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Sycamore%20Creek/IMG_0129.jpg?t=1344466779

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Sycamore%20Creek/IMG_0122.jpg?t=1344466837

All fish very healthy and I'm glad we got the rain.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Sycamore%20Creek/IMG_0118.jpg?t=1344466864

The fish took everything thrown today. Hares ear, royal stimulator, smoky mtn. candy and ray ball.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/breckdavis100/Sycamore%20Creek/IMG_0105.jpg?t=1344466899

Breck

Slipstream
08-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing!

Redfish62
08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Great pics and fishing.
Hoping to camp and fish there is weekend
Thanks,

ifish4wildtrout
08-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Looks like fun trip and some beautiful scenery.

Breck
08-09-2012, 06:31 AM
breckdavis100@gmail.com

mora521
08-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Lovely pic of the most delicious mushroom in the woods.If you have not eaten them I strongly suggest you give them a try.

Grannyknot
08-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Nice Report Breck. I've been enjoying your reports from that area.
Just curious....how accurate do you think your 4,000ft determination was?
Reason I ask is about 2 years ago, I set out to catch a brook trout above 4k in that portion of the Cherokee NF. I basically followed the 4k countour line via FS roads, trails, and lots of bushwacking, and when I got to the water, it looked nothing like that.

Breck
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Granny, I will put you on this blue line. I honestly could have taken#?!! to the hand.

Share a blue line with me and I'll share the greatest stream with you that I've ever fished in one day.

Same goes to Ifish4wildtrout.

Mora - would like your cooking recipe for this mushroom?!?

Breck

Breck
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Mora521 - The mushroom you referenced I believe is the Amanita. You recommended I eat this mushroom...Correct??? It is listed as a deadly mushroom in East Tn. Am I mistaken or are you genuinely confused or do I really need to ask the next question....which I will and eagerly await your response.

Breck

Breck
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
A new 10 year old to this sport read this forum today...... asked me, Dad (Mora521) why would someone ask you to do something that could hurt you?

Tough to answer this kid tonight. Maybe those of you out there have his answer???

Mora 521...at the point of conception, you were winner. You made it when most didn't.

You have gotten off track.

I ask that you not respond to any of my posts and work most on making your own,...with pics of fish , friends and great times and if possible showing someone new...support.

Best of Luck!!!!!

mcfly
08-10-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm with Mora on this one. Constantly hotspotting an area makes me sicker than that mushroom ever will.

Grannyknot
08-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Guys, I dislike hotspotting as well, but I don't think Breck did much more than name a general area. Surely the mushroom talk is all in jest.

Breck: I wasn't looking for your favorite stream name or anything. I was just curious about your 4,000 ft assessment.

David Knapp
08-10-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm with Mora on this one. Constantly hotspotting an area makes me sicker than that mushroom ever will.

And everyone wonders why the reports are lacking so much these days... :confused: :eek:

People still think there are secrets, but with the internet this is just not the case. There are some great reports lately on here, and I believe people have shown considerable restraint from posting stream names. Would it be better if people described streams as something like, "North American Blue Line" or maybe "I went fishing somewhere in the galaxy today"...? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the report Breck! I'm already missing the TN mountains and will have to enjoy them vicariously through reports such as yours for a while now until I make it back home.

Breck
08-10-2012, 09:21 PM
"555 looks" at this thread. Wonder what the main core thought when looking and reading.....with the exception of two posts, I would assume "would like to have been there, find a place like there and maybe talk to a person who has been there??

It began as a sharing of a feel good, great day!! Motivated by some who go out of their way to post likewise.(ifish4wildtrout, duckypaddler, chemeangler, DavisKnapp) etc.. It takes one to Know one and one who wants to be One!!

That day, still feels great and promise to not let anyone take that away or the compelling nature to share days like the start of this thread.

Took 2 yrs. to find this stream and 2 minutes to read a post that begs of being pulled into the circle. I felt your pain 2 yrs. ago. had to make a decision to sit behind this screen or get to a stream or talk to a person who knows of a stream as you've seen above. As you can see I chose the latter and recommend it as the path.

So.....David, I will continue to fish and post, grannyknot - please shoot me a cell number. I would like to speak with you.

Anyone else..I am happy to share any I have learned but enter this forum as a student first and always willing to assist and share with a fellow gentleman 2nd. Never to be critical or ganglandish against another that represents them self as a fellow on a stream............. that has been fished before or not!!

Breck

Scott H.
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't know about all that other stuff, but I enjoyed the fishing report.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

NDuncan
08-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Cool report looks like fun. Two things... To people who want to be jerks about others reports, maybe your time is better spent on the other forum where no one cares about helping others, sharing info, and experiences and teaching newcomers and the only time anyone posts anything is to pad their own ego. The LRO forum has never been like this, thank god, and hopefully never will. Second, when you throw a hissy fit like a two year old because someone fishes where you like to, you end up drawing more attention to the spot than the report ever would have. It makes it look like you are to protect something and makes others who might not have been as interested curious as to what there is there to hide. So maybe if you really disapprove or stream being named it is better to just shut up and ignore than make a spectacle our of it.

Also suggesting that someone eat a poisonous mushroom is disgusting. Even if the poster knew it wasn't edible that not to say someone else could have made a tragic mistake based on your asinine delusion that a particular public stream is your private property. It was a totally despicable thing to do.

buzzmcmanus
08-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I haven't been on here all summer. Haven't fished all summer. Just thought I'd see what was happening in the fishing world while I fletched some arrows. I read Brecks report and thought it was a real good report. Glad to see some good reports still going on. I read Mora's post and figured it was sarcasm. But, sarcasm comes off very poorly on the wonderful world of the internet. Especially when it comes to eating poisonous mushrooms.

Then...... I read mcfly's post. I hunt, fish, hike, and generally spend most weekends in South Cherokee, (edit... I figured it out... and I'm an idiot). Not really sure what his problem is. .................(edit).................. I'd better quit typing before Paula gets involved.

Breck, like I said, nice report. Glad to see you're going to continue posting them.

See you all after hunting season.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/2012%20Hikes/Jump%20Off%20-%20Charlies%20Bunion%207-29/P1000738.jpg

yonder
08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Cool report looks like fun. Two things... To people who want to be jerks about others reports, maybe your time is better spent on the other forum where no one cares about helping others, sharing info, and experiences and teaching newcomers and the only time anyone posts anything is to pad their own ego. The LRO forum has never been like this, thank god, and hopefully never will. Second, when you throw a hissy fit like a two year old because someone fishes where you like to, you end up drawing more attention to the spot than the report ever would have. It makes it look like you are to protect something and makes others who might not have been as interested curious as to what there is there to hide. So maybe if you really disapprove or stream being named it is better to just shut up and ignore than make a spectacle our of it.

Also suggesting that someone eat a poisonous mushroom is disgusting. Even if the poster knew it wasn't edible that not to say someone else could have made a tragic mistake based on your asinine delusion that a particular public stream is your private property. It was a totally despicable thing to do.

Here, here.........very well said sir............a shared resource.........especially when it pertains to new anglers...may well benefit us all..........if and only if........we conduct ourselves in a gentlemanly manner.............just my thoughts...........fire at will........

AL trout bum
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Nice report Breck. I always enjoy the high altitude brookie reports!

I will add that I personally don't name stream names, but I won't jump on someone else for doing it.

duckypaddler
08-12-2012, 08:06 AM

I'm sure he was just being sarcastic. Let's not all jump overboard on this.:smile:

And from what I've heard they are very much edible if you really know what you are doing, and how to cook them. Kind of like eating a puffer fish:biggrin:

I'm in no way suggesting someone try this:eek:

And Breck thanks for another great report - keep them coming

NDuncan
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Maybe so, it just really got to me because there is a small contingent on this board of people who never post anything that is meant to be helpful or informative but rather only seem to feel like jumping in when they want to belittle, discourage, or otherwise insult someone because they made the mistake of fishing somewhere where others feel is for their own personal use.

It gets kind of old after a while, especially when the report in question listed a general area and an elevation. If someone is going to get their panties in a twist over that, why even read this forum?

yonder
08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I would like to personally thank Breck for the post. I hope you keep them coming. Beautiful photos.......good choice of a net.........keep your chin up and keep fishing...........:smile:

Payne102
08-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Lovely pic of the most delicious mushroom in the woods.If you have not eaten them I strongly suggest you give them a try.

You need a life if you are serious about this.

mora521
08-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Breck posted about morels a while back hoping to enlighten us figuring we were ignorant to this bounty of the spring woods.My post early in this thread about eating the pretty red fungus was in jest and he would know that,but I did not realize his limited mycologic savvy.Mea culpa.

Rob Johnson
08-14-2012, 02:00 AM
That was an odd discussion. :rolleyes: Don't eat any mushrooms you are not familiar with and normal people would be happy to show you where the best place to fish is because we are not not trying to "catch them all". ;) 700 and something miles of trout streams in the Smokies? Ten plus million visitors a year? You can catch just as many nice trout near three visitor's centers I know of as on Noland and Forney and not have to hike up the Hyatt Ridge trail to Raven Fork to find solitude without loneliness and a good day's fishing. Since some folks seem to think we are not supposed to mention specific fishing spots I will only say that any stream that feeds the Ocanaluftee is a good bet now.:smile:

duckypaddler
08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I took a picture that I'll have to send
People here are friendly and content
People here are colorful and bright
The flowers often bloom at night

Amanita is the name
The flowers cover everything.

Just some old REM lyrics that were running through my head as I read this post:rolleyes:

AL trout bum
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Since some folks seem to think we are not supposed to mention specific fishing spots I will only say that any stream that feeds the Ocanaluftee is a good bet now.:smile:

Sorry to hi jack the thread, but I would love to speak to someone familiar with that side of the park and that watershed specifically. Preferrably someone that is more experienced, not another newbie like myself. I have stumbled on a few streams over that way and would like to know more about them. If anyone fits the above decscription, please e-mail me at MRL0004 at gmail dot com.

jmelrod
08-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Anyone willing to share a recipe/ description of the Ray Ball fly and Smoky Mountain Candy fly? Thanks.