PDA

View Full Version : Madison River

donwinn
09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
My friend Steve and I traveled to Twin Bridges, Montana recently for a week of fishing. It was not our best fishing trip to Montana, but I was lucky enough to land this little guy on the Madison river a few miles from Ennis.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/donwinn/P8300560.jpg

No Hackle
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Great fish. Were the fish pre-spawn yet. That hook jaw makes that guy look pretty mean. Have you been out west earlier this year. I think I might have met you on our return trip @ mcgee tyson.
Lynn

David Knapp
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Don, great fish!!! It must have been a thrill to land it. How about a few more details? Nymphs? Dry? Streamer? Glad you had a good trip!

donwinn
09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
No Hackle,

I am not sure about pre-spawn. We did not see any indication though. I had not been there earlier in the year. I live in middle Tennessee so I fly out of Nashville. It must have been some other lucky guy.

David,

How is Colorado - other than fishing? I know fishing is good from your posts!

I caught him on a hopper. He was hugging the bank in pretty heavy current, and I could not move him at first. The guide could not stop the boat due to the current so I really thought I would loose him. I turned the rod to the side to try and move his head and was successful. He then followed us downstream until we found a place to stop the boat and get out. I was very happy to finally get him in the net.

Don't you let those people out there corrupt you. There are too many imports from the crazy states.

David Knapp
09-13-2012, 11:09 PM
David,

How is Colorado - other than fishing? I know fishing is good from your posts!

I caught him on a hopper. He was hugging the bank in pretty heavy current, and I could not move him at first. The guide could not stop the boat due to the current so I really thought I would loose him. I turned the rod to the side to try and move his head and was successful. He then followed us downstream until we found a place to stop the boat and get out. I was very happy to finally get him in the net.

Don't you let those people out there corrupt you. There are too many imports from the crazy states.

Don, I'm enjoying it out here a lot. Not sure if I'll stay indefinitely but do see myself enjoying it for a few years at least. TN is still home so will probably end up that way sometime. Loving the mountains out here a lot...not the same as the Smokies but spectacular in their own way...

Great story on the big fish! That's a good way to get your heart racing when you have a fish that size on in a heavy current. Good job keeping cool and landing that fish!

flyman
09-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Nice, that's a solid fish anywhere. Wish I had money and could just travel the world and fish:biggrin:

fourx
09-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I've had really good trips to Twin Bridges and I've had slow ones.
Who guided yall, 4Rivers or Stonefly?

4X

silvercreek
09-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Ever fish up where the Madison goes into Quake Lake? That's one pretty, but erie place. Some nice fish hang out right where the Madison hits the lake.

donwinn
09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Flyman,

I thought you did it without money!

donwinn
09-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Fours,

We used 4Rivers, but he got guides from other shops.

donwinn
09-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Silvercreek,

No, I have not been there. What makes it spooky

silvercreek
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
The high hill tops as you go down to where the river meets the lake, the collapsed shepherd's shacks and the 28 souls under the mountain of rock who died in the campground when the mountain side fell across the river onto the campground.

fourx
09-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Fours,

We used 4Rivers, but he got guides from other shops.
I heard bad news. Greg's (4Rivers) wife and kids left him. I hope his superb guides (Josh and Frank) haven't left too.
Also- Silvercreek mentioned the Quake Lake area of the Madison. If you're interested in this area you should enter "Bob Jacklin's brown trout" on Youtubes search engine. What a fish!

4X

donwinn
10-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Yes, his wife and kids live in Memphis. Frank was the guide we used when I caught the fish in the picture. He is the only one we used out of the shop the 4 days we fished there. I am not sure about Josh. What was his last name?

yonder
10-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I heard bad news. Greg's (4Rivers) wife and kids left him. I hope his superb guides (Josh and Frank) haven't left too.
Also- Silvercreek mentioned the Quake Lake area of the Madison. If you're interested in this area you should enter "Bob Jacklin's brown trout" on Youtubes search engine. What a fish!

4X Mr. Jacklin is a nice guy.....very pleasant to fly fishing tourists........he walked in to his fly shop while my son and I were admiring his trout on the wall........we enjoyed our conversation about his trout!!!! The youtube video is a must see.........:smile: