PDA

View Full Version : Tying Challenge 10

David Knapp
09-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Since I'm having a hard time consistently getting up a weekly challenge, I'll start just numbering these instead of including the "week." Anyway, how about a broad challenge for this week. Fall is either upon us or nearly so depending on where we live. Its time to get out and chase those big browns. I had a great time last Sunday and found lots of willing fish. They sure get aggressive before the spawn as they feed up to prepare for the rigors ahead. So this week, let's see your favorite fall brown trout pattern(s)!!! I will try and tie something, probably tomorrow or Thursday, as I need to tie for this next weekend anyway. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has!

flyman
09-19-2012, 11:26 PM
My ace in the hole, never fails:biggrin:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/nepal_flyfishing_guru/IMGP0011_2.jpg

Grannyknot
09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Just a big nasty stonefly.
#10 200R hook

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Flies/DSCN4522.jpg

Cane Pole
09-20-2012, 05:42 PM
flyman -- that's not even funny :rolleyes:

granny - can you post the recipe for that bad boy? I like it.

David Knapp
09-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Flyman, I'm starting to understand how you catch all those monster browns... :rolleyes:

olesmoke
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
yea but he does still use 7x and barbless hooks ....;););)

No Hackle
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Just a big nasty stonefly.
#10 200R hook

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/Flies/DSCN4522.jpg
That stonefly looks great. I like the folded wing cases. I try to tie with folds but mine never look that good.
Lynn

David Knapp
09-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Grannyknot, how about some tips on that awesome wingcase? Have wanted to tie stoneflies like that but have not been sure how to get them to look that nice...

NDuncan
09-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Flyman, I'm starting to understand how you catch all those monster browns... :rolleyes:

At least he uses the ones in the biodegradable container...

calebB
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Flyman fishes these on a dropper below his nightcrawler.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/littleriverjournal/nov09/yates/index.htm

Grannyknot
09-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Grannyknot, how about some tips on that awesome wingcase? Have wanted to tie stoneflies like that but have not been sure how to get them to look that nice...

Sorry, I didn't see this cause I am out of town.
Using sprayed turkey feathers, I tie some in, Crimp it down with some tweezers just below the tie in point, and pull the turkey tail fibers up and over the tweezers. Hold it down on top of the tweezers with my left thumb and tie it down. I'm sure there are better ways, but I found it to be pretty easy after you've sprayed them with an enamel or urethane.

David Knapp
09-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this cause I am out of town.
Using sprayed turkey feathers, I tie some in, Crimp it down with some tweezers just below the tie in point, and pull the turkey tail fibers up and over the tweezers. Hold it down on top of the tweezers with my left thumb and tie it down. I'm sure there are better ways, but I found it to be pretty easy after you've sprayed them with an enamel or urethane.

Can you advise as to exactly what you spray with and more importantly, where to get it? Sorry I'm relatively uninformed about this aspect of tying...thanks! :biggrin:

olesmoke
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
David go to page 3 of the General Fly Tying ....there is a post about treating turkey feathers. Be safe

Breck
09-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Grannyknot, that has to be one wicked fish catching fly!?!?

What must I do,..... to gain access to a few??

Breck
breckdavis100@gmail.com

Grannyknot
09-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Can you advise as to exactly what you spray with and more importantly, where to get it? Sorry I'm relatively uninformed about this aspect of tying...thanks! :biggrin:

David, it is testors spray enamel, like what you would use for model cars. I got it at hobby lobby.

Hope you are having fun in Colorado. I am in Oregon and the stoneflies are thick. Been playing with some sea run cutts on the coast too.

Grannyknot
09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Grannyknot, that has to be one wicked fish catching fly!?!?

What must I do,..... to gain access to a few??

Breck
breckdavis100@gmail.com

Breck, surely LRO has nymphs that look better than that.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17598&cat=993&page=1

David Knapp
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
David go to page 3 of the General Fly Tying ....there is a post about treating turkey feathers. Be safe

Thanks! I need to sit down and work with some turkey feathers and try some new things. I pretty much just use them on Tellicos right now...

Breck
09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Granny, point taken. Think I will consider the vise more seriously in the future though.

Thank you for setting an example to shoot for!!
Breck

NDuncan
10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
If David doesn't mind me jumping in here... I'd like to propose the next challenge: Favorite fall dry... Lets see some interesting creations with Orange and Yellow (or maybe some other color if you have something), but I want to see what you like to fish when get into one of those fall time hatches!

EDIT: Probably should have made a new thread, but I guess I meant this more as a suggestion anyway, if anyone else is interested in this topic!

David Knapp
10-03-2012, 12:04 AM
If David doesn't mind me jumping in here... I'd like to propose the next challenge: Favorite fall dry... Lets see some interesting creations with Orange and Yellow (or maybe some other color if you have something), but I want to see what you like to fish when get into one of those fall time hatches!

EDIT: Probably should have made a new thread, but I guess I meant this more as a suggestion anyway, if anyone else is interested in this topic!

Go ahead and start a new one! I am busy enough that I tend to not stay caught up. I am FINALLY going to start actually tying again which might motivate me to keep this up better. But seriously, I would appreciate any help I can get. Anyone feel free to jump in, just not more than one a week please and keep the numbers in order! :smile: I have a few favorites but will try and tie up a couple of my favorites for the Smokies tomorrow afternoon...

Cane Pole
10-03-2012, 06:45 AM
another suggestion: put the topic pattern in the title of the thread after the week # so it's easier to find