PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Waterproof K30 - Need assistance

Breck
10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Ok, getting into this taking pictures thing while fishing and have graduated to a DSLR based on previous members posts.

Recently purchased an entry level waterproof Pentax K30 and would like assistance from members that can guide me to a local supplier of equipment ie; lenses. It appears the internet has eliminated most mom and pop stores.

If there is a local store to the Knoxville area I would like to keep business local and would appreciate recommendations.

Need a Weather Proof Telephoto 60-250 mm F/4 and a Micro/Macro FA 100mm F2.8 to add to my kit.

Thank You,

Breck

flyred06
10-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I have a pentex dslr also. great cameras. does yours have the stabilization built into the camera body or do you have to buy stabilization lense? Wolf Camera is always a resource to find lense. If you have the stabilization built into the body of the camera look into the tameron lenses. good quality lower $$$$.

ChemEAngler
10-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Ok, getting into this taking pictures thing while fishing and have graduated to a DSLR based on previous members posts.

Recently purchased an entry level waterproof Pentax K30 and would like assistance from members that can guide me to a local supplier of equipment ie; lenses. It appears the internet has eliminated most mom and pop stores.

If there is a local store to the Knoxville area I would like to keep business local and would appreciate recommendations.

Need a Weather Proof Telephoto 60-250 mm F/4 and a Micro/Macro FA 100mm F2.8 to add to my kit.

Thank You,

Breck

Wolf Camera went out of business, and the only true local photography store I can think of is Thompson Photo. Been there a few times for specialty items, but they are a bit pricey...

Breck
11-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Flyred06 and ChemE,

Yes to the stabilization in the camera.

I am on the hunt for a great deal on the 60-250mm and FA 100mm lenses.

Had tough conditions today and the K30 got wet. Performed well in the hands of a novice. I am in the pursuit of great pictures of great days on the water!!!!

Thank You Gentleman.

Breck

Joe Congleton
11-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Thompsons may seem pricey but they are good. I have a couple of pentax i boight there but not your model. Thompson photo supply. The late Eddie ThomPSON was a life long smokies fisherman and the founders of the company took many of the photos which helped get the GSMNP created. They deserve our business IMO.

Breck
11-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Joe and all the above Thank You. Called them (Thompsons)and nothing in stock. Ordered both off Amazon and got a great deal!!!

Absolutely incredible glass. Got a lowepro waterproof back pack as well. Can't wait to get out to a blue line!!

Will post pics soon.

Breck

flyred06
11-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Can't wait to see some pics posted. I love my pentax they make excellent photos. Post some soon and it gives you an excuse to go fishing. Lol

Breck
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Flyred, I will take your advise immediately. Are you in the area of Knoxville by chance?

Breck

flyred06
11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
No I am in Gadsden Alabama. I manage the facilities of three warehouses in Knoxville and will be up there next week or the next for a few days but other than that I just stay around Alabama.

Breck
11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Flyred,

send me an email.

breckdavis100@gmail.com

flyred06
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
just sent you one

William
03-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Breck,

I'm looking at the K-30 for my first DSLR camera. The wife and I are trying to get pregnant so I want a nice camera to document the whole thing. I figured I could get plenty of practice with it on the streams.

Overall, how do you like the camera? Do you have any advice about it? I'll be purchasing in the next month or two.

Breck
04-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I have had excellent success with this camera. No complaints or reservations. Its been rained on and various occasions submerged in water with no problems.

Beware...while changing lenses and you get dust on the processor....STOP!!!! Take it to a camera shop and let them clean it it professionally. You will know you need this done when you see spots or streaks in your pics. Do not attempt to remove or clean your self.

Invest in a good Macro lens. I have a good telephoto and searching for a Best portrait or medium distance lens.

Overall, user friendly and not over whelming.

Please share with me your discovery.

Breck

William
04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
I have had excellent success with this camera. No complaints or reservations. Its been rained on and various occasions submerged in water with no problems.

Beware...while changing lenses and you get dust on the processor....STOP!!!! Take it to a camera shop and let them clean it it professionally. You will know you need this done when you see spots or streaks in your pics. Do not attempt to remove or clean your self.

Invest in a good Macro lens. I have a good telephoto and searching for a Best portrait or medium distance lens.

Overall, user friendly and not over whelming.

Please share with me your discovery.

Breck

Thanks for the reply. I've searched through some of your picture posts, and I really like the quality of the photos you have shared.

There is a deal on Amazon right now for the camera body and 18-55mm kit lens for $589. I think I'm going with that one, since it's much cheaper than the other kits with only a slightly better lense. I think I can play around with the kit lense long enough to save for a nicer one.

I'll be posting pictures up once I get the nerve to hit the "buy" button.

By the way, I've been browsing pentaxforums.com. If you haven't found it already, it's a great site with a lot of good info on these cameras.