PDA

View Full Version : Clinch this weekend

fourx
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Did pretty good on the Clinch this weekend.
Fished near the dam.
The trout were switching back and forth between eating black flies and very small chironomids.
When the masses of black flies were coming off I could get em on a #18 Krystal Kim but when the beige chironomids were coming off I would switch to a #24 brown bug I tie.
Didn't see many fisherman catching much but I contribute this to fly selection.
The ol black zebra isn't the ticket anymore.
No pics cause I like to reserve that for bigger fish (which I didn't get in hand).
Lost two very nice trout sun. To my dismay.
Anyway, this topic has been due a new report.
Anybody else hittin the Grinch?

4X

flyred06
11-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't know how you even see to fish a size 24 anything. is the midges not working due to the time of year or the water temp? never done much tailwater fishing before.

No Hackle
11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Good report Fourx, glad to hear an update. Been trying to get to the Clinch.
Lynn

joetroutman
11-20-2012, 11:22 PM
You hit it right on the money fourx. I was down at Millers and as the water was draining I caught several on midges, but not the typical zebra just like you said. A few of the fish were nice but most were between 12-14

It was a lot harder for to get a bite when the chironomids were coming off i caught a few but not as many as I was hoping. If any of yall have tips for when these small bugs are coming off I would love to here them. I'm just getting back into fly fishing so I have a lot to learn and reading what the veterans of Clinch have to say really helps.

MadisonBoats
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Good report and information fellas...thanks for sharing your reports and tips!

My report:
Water Temp: 61 Surface (lake turnover) *Should stabilize around this temp the rest of the winter.
Water Clarity: Slate-Green

There are enormous hatches of midges and the larva/pupae selection for the trout has been plentiful. I have had slower results on midging. I believe due to an abundance of larva.

My approach was to seine the water and identify the larvae and pupa patterns and define an average size.

Then; I fished a midge about two sizes larger to help it stand out in the drift. This seemed to work decently.

However; I got bored and started throwing midge dries and emergers to the many sippers. Most of my takes on emergers and dries involved landing the fly in to the target pool or bumping it to entice instinct takes.

Hope this helps. I have noticed many of the larger fish are hugging the banks. So; practice throwing some big dry orange palmers right up next to logs and bank structures. Let it sit; slight bump, sit, slight bump, and walk it back to you with erratic bumps. You should get a nice surprise.:biggrin:

fourx
11-21-2012, 11:04 PM
You're correct Mboats.
When the hatches are heaviest the bite slows way down.
When there's thousands of naturals, why would they want to hit a brace of man made hook thingies?
But, in the wanes of the hatch, the fishing can be good for trout that are still cleaning up.
Typically, trout are easier to catch on the front or the rear of the hatch then the middle.
You CAN catch trout in the middle of a hatch but your bug and act better be right.
Also- fish to the shade whenever possible.

4X

Varmitcounty
11-23-2012, 05:44 PM
I have fished the Clinch for years, and yes I agree with the viewpoint regarding fly selection and pre and post hatch. But today, I have made up my mind that the only way I will fish that river again is as a last resort. Stacked elbow to elbow with folks only to catch a bunch of dinks because the amount of lines smacking the water insure that any fish worth catching is hunkered down and laying low. Fished 61, Millers, Weir, and above the weir. Frustrating. I can remember catching quality fish at every outing...but not so these days.

MadisonBoats
11-24-2012, 07:36 AM
I have fished the Clinch for years, and yes I agree with the viewpoint regarding fly selection and pre and post hatch. But today, I have made up my mind that the only way I will fish that river again is as a last resort. Stacked elbow to elbow with folks only to catch a bunch of dinks because the amount of lines smacking the water insure that any fish worth catching is hunkered down and laying low. Fished 61, Millers, Weir, and above the weir. Frustrating. I can remember catching quality fish at every outing...but not so these days.

I understand your frustration. One tip I use in those situations is to think of the positive. At least you have people close by to help you if you need it. Unfortunately; I realized this perspective earlier this year.

Also; use this time as a chance to challenge yourself and techniques. I have often pulled good fish right beside someone standing and throwing the other way. Another idea is to get you a boat or something to give you mobility to fish other spots. One thing you may realize is that you end up going back to certain wade areas to regain your focus.

Finally; I try to never let the actions of others hinder what I do...I just do my thing and stay focused. Hope you have a better time on the next trip.

Varmitcounty
11-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks M.B.,but I just don't do crowds...the majority using spinning gear with enough weight to raise the water level a good three inches when it hit the river. I caught fish, and couldn't help but catch them right next to someone. That river has gone from a great trout fishery to a low budget amusement park.

fourx
11-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I would sit on a bait fisherman's shoulders to catch a fish like I missed yesterday.
The ONLY trout that's put me in my 6wt's backing in my life.
Yes a zoo, but with some large animals.

4X

Varmitcounty
11-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Oh, there are some leviathans in there to be sure, and I have caught some of them over the years, but for me the atmosphere in which I fish is just about as important as the catch. I just want to engage in being out there. Every facet of my life is crowded with people and I am the type of person that is somewhat of a loner the crowds just set me on edge. Madison Boats mentioned getting a boat or some other watercraft...not gonna happen. I prefer to engage the river instead of riding down it. Those who fish mainly from boats can cover a lot of ground and can reach a lot of fish that would otherwise be unattainable, but it just doesn't do it for me. Am I a prude? Perhaps. But, just like everyone else, I have in my mind and perhaps in my spirit a vision of what angling should be and dodging big gobs of lead and night crawlers chucked by old ladies on the bank and standing twenty to thirty feet from the next angler is just not fun for me. If the average catch was on the level of the Soho or the Lower Nantahala, or the Arkansas...then I might have a different mindset, but to endure the Clinch in the hope that I might survive the circus long enough to catch a 14 inch rainbow...nah...I will pass.

Glad to see your six weight got the ride of its life.....

fourx
11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Right on brother.
The soho is awfully crowded now days too.

4X

g022271
11-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Kinda got a little p.o.'d this past Friday myself and have decided to use my pontoon boat to avoid the crowds on the Clinch and also to avoid the potential for confronting rude inconsiderate fisherman. I was re-rigging my flyrod, sitting in my pontoon boat at he lower end of the "conga" line out in front of the canoe launch, when I looked up and saw 2 spinfishers move down below me and then upstream directly in front of me about 50 ft. I coudn't believe it and started to let them know what they had done, but my wife tells me I can be too blunt and a real a--hole at times, so I decided to take the highroad and just float down below them, when instead I wanted to put a hook in their hats. So, I am going to avoid the crowds, but next time ,should it happen again,I will educate the ignorant,,, cause as Woodrow Call said, "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it!"

Mike

Varmitcounty
11-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Mike, is your pontoon yellow? If so, I was there when you put in and yes the conga line was full of rude anglers.

While I am thinking about it...what is up with the Church area? Nada, nothing, not even a rise anywhere on the river.

Told my wife last night that the only way I am going back to the Clinch is if absolutely every other option is blown out.

Soho is getting crowded as well....but I have yet to encounter the two things that stuck out to me on friday. 1) absolute abandonment of etiquette and 2) a higher quality of fish.

I am working on an essay I think I will shop around about the rapid and certain decline of the trout fishing on tailwaters. I think it is part money, part law enforcement (or lack thereof), part overpressured under protected.

g022271
11-25-2012, 06:29 PM
V'Country - That was me in the pontoon. I don't know the church area too well, so I can't help you there. I think I'm going to start putting in at Miller's and work my way upstream to the shoals. I've been stuck in the Weir pool too long. Also, I'm going to start putting in some at Peach Orchard and work both up and down the river. There's just too many people fishing above the weir these days..Never fished the Soho, but would like to.
Your essay would be of "interest" to a lot of guys on this forum and you would get A LOT of additional input for sure.

Mike

fourx
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Kinda got a little p.o.'d this past Friday myself and have decided to use my pontoon boat to avoid the crowds on the Clinch and also to avoid the potential for confronting rude inconsiderate fisherman. I was re-rigging my flyrod, sitting in my pontoon boat at he lower end of the "conga" line out in front of the canoe launch, when I looked up and saw 2 spinfishers move down below me and then upstream directly in front of me about 50 ft. I coudn't believe it and started to let them know what they had done, but my wife tells me I can be too blunt and a real a--hole at times, so I decided to take the highroad and just float down below them, when instead I wanted to put a hook in their hats. So, I am going to avoid the crowds, but next time ,should it happen again,I will educate the ignorant,,, cause as Woodrow Call said, "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it!"

Mike
Yeah, I saw that crap go down.
I was a touch upstream of you with a chest-box on.
Was wondering if you were mad.
I got squeezed to death in the conga line earlier but waited most fisherman out but still a tough bite.

4X

Varmitcounty
11-26-2012, 02:23 PM
The SoHo is crowded, but for some reason it doesn't feel crowded. I guess people are just more respectful of the space. In my circle of friends, a couple of them speak of the clinch as if it were the only game in town and if they fish another water, you'd think they were cheating on their wives. Perhaps I used to hold the river in high esteem, but not anymore. When your greatest risk is to be whacked in the back of the head by an elderly lady casting lead from the bank, you are in the wrong spot.

Corbo
11-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Mike

I think you would like the soho' it's a long ride though and as to fishing from the pontoon there's not much water most spots unless they are generating and then you would get washed down river. Mayve someone knows a good spot for you up there with the toon.

MadisonBoats
11-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Mike,
Give me a shout if you want to fish with me from my boat one day. We can take your toon and you can utilize it for increased mobility if you want.:smile:

The Clinch has been dry fly fishing very well. My favorite type of fishing...:biggrin:

fourx
11-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Soho bound fri. for a whole weekend of fishing.
TVA is working on the dam til late dec. and that guarantees a 350cfs flow for 24/7!
Perfect.
Hopefully I'll return with some nice pics/report to post (unless I accidentally get stuck in a refrigerator, bicycle rim, or cash register that litter the lower 2/3s of the river).

4X

flyman01
11-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Mike

That is unfortunate that your day was tainted by some inconsiderate spincasting fisherman. Sadly enough, a good number of us who like to fly-fish have had similar experiences like this on the Clinch and other rivers as well. Recently, I have had a situation arise further south, where a fellow fly-fisherman walked up-stream on the opposite side of the river while the generators were turned off and literally started casting into the same pool I had been working for over an hour. After a few verbal exchanges over his unprofessional and disrespecting conduct, he remained un-phased by my remarks and was not going to move on. With that, I simply tide on 4x tippet with a weighted wooly bugger, casted over his dry-fly on 6x and broke him off. He got the point and after calling me a few explicative’s, moved down stream out of site and without further incident. The point of bringing this up is that there are inconsiderate people out there regardless of what river you are on and are not limited to spincasters in a boat or others chucking lead from the banks. I have put in at the Peach Orchard launch and floated down stream via canoe and fished the shoals with little to no pressure what so ever. After the generators are turned on, drifted on down stream and had great success with both streamers and dry sulphurs again with little to no pressure from others on the water. Perhaps you should consider that path.

Additionally I have found that fishing the Hiwassee and Tellico during the Delayed Harvest has certainly limited much of the activity associated to spincasters and lead throwers who are out there simply attempting to fill a creel basket. Maybe you should venture to some of these more protected waters during this time to avoid crowds as well.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Tight Lines!

g022271
11-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey Flyman

What you suggested about floating certain parts of the river is exactly what I'm going to start doing ...I just have to take care of the logistics of putting in one place and taking out on downstream .....No big deal, really. Thanks

Mike

cockeye valdez
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
fourx
I plan to drive northeast also Saturday. I have fished the sluce and it can be great. I'll be in the middle section parked in the not-so-new parking lot. I'll be fishing alone since my best fishing pal moved to Atlanta.
Try a few cripples, sometimes when the fish are persnickity, I can hook up on b.w.o. cripples under a c.d.c. sulfur.
If you fish Saturday, I'll be the semi gimped, middle aged man yelling profanities cause the fish keep refusing my best bug and drift.
c.v.

fourx
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey CV,

Im staying with some guys on the deadend at the TVA road right above the weir.
Last time I fished near the weir it was insanely buggy!
Down at big springs rd. and rockhold it wasn't as buggy or fishy but it was much less crowded.
Look for me on the river, I'll be the only one with a metal chest-box on. If you see me holler!
Hopefully I'll be doing this-
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z468/fmf777/IMGP2859-1.jpg
Note the culvert in the background, is that the start of your "middle river"?

4X

joetroutman
11-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Beautiful fish 4x

mstone
11-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Given the current weather, duck season shall remain on hold till further notice. I too, am headed to the Soho early Saturday.

troutmanbrook
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Look for me on the river, I'll be the only one with a metal chest-box on. If you see me holler!

4X

I was wandering what that was, I saw you in the parking lot last weekend. I was with Mike. I thought you may play accordion while the fish were not biting :biggrin:

mstone
12-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, that was not a productive road trip to the Soho. How did you other guys do ? They were sluicing, but it was not a typical flow with that. Also, a huge concern, talked with one of the local fly shop guys and was told TVA cut the water completely off for a time.River bed got dry in places at a time when the browns have eggs in the redd's. I hope this is not as bad as it sounds.

cockeye valdez
12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I fished the middle section, the water was stained. I did not see many bugs, a few b.w.o.s not many and not too many fish rising. I fished skinny water early and caught several fish on bead heads. When the sun rose above the river fish activity increased in the heavier water and I began hooking up on emergers.

I have found the fish smaller this year than any year I have fished the river. I encouraged one bait fisherman to take his limit and mine. If the sediment covers the redds and there are fewer hatchlings, it may improve the quality of fish.

It was, as usual, great to be on the river and hook up with my pals at the fly shop. I'll go back around Christmas, always do.
c.v.

fourx
12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
The high sun made conditions rough this weekend.
Fished the upper and big springs areas sat. Saw enough bwo duns on the water that shouldv'e had fish up on top more but the sun was high. Caught quite a few fish on the double dropper rig and fishing a dropper close under a dry with success.
Sun. was tougher. Nearly bluebird skies had the trout skulking.
Saw a small but thick bwo hatch and a couple of brave trout rose to dries.
Sun., about 4, a small amount of sulfurs came off up high and the trout ate the duns a little during that 1 hr. hatch.
No pics for Dude, caught quite a few but none bigger'n 14".
Saw a guy sun. fight a nice fish forever and netted it. I asked him on the way out what it was and he said it was a 23" brown on a sulfur/6X. That's what I'm talking about.
I also saw a GIGANTIC brown eat 2 sulfur duns in a row sun. afternoon. I didn't even cast that way for 10 min. and it never rose again. I suspect this fish was over 12 lbs.. Sheesh.

4X