PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Report

David Knapp
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMG_8034.jpg

Thanksgiving is for spending time with friends and family, but of course I couldn't make a trip back to TN without heading to the Smokies for a day. I was lucky to catch Byron out working in the shop (although I'm not sure if he was enjoying Wapsi **** very much) and was able to talk with him and Paula for a while. Thanks Byron and Paula for always taking time to chat and make me feel at home in your shop! Wish I could visit more often... Daniel had his day off so I'll have to wait to see him and everyone else until my next trip back.

After finally getting a few things, I headed on towards the Park to fish with my buddy Jayson. Our hope was to find a few big browns to fish for. Well, let's just say this: we found the fish. I probably saw more BIG browns than I ever have before in one day but they were SUPER spooky. None of the truly large fish were actively spawning which was probably why they were so spooky. I saw several fish that were 24-25" or better including one that I would say was possibly closer to 30".

The big guys disappointed so we eventually targeted rainbows. Each big pool had a lot of nice rainbows out rising. Out came the #18-#20 BWO patterns. I chose a hi-vis BWO parachute I had tied earlier this fall and was happy with the results. The fish couldn't stay off of our flies.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMG_8029.jpg

Jayson finally got a brown. It wasn't the size we originally were hoping for but still a very pretty fish.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMG_8023-001.jpg

I fooled enough rainbows to stay interested until realizing that the fishing portion of the day was complete and it was time to head back home to spend the time with family I don't get to see often anymore. Nothing like the holidays! I also made it out for a float trip on the Caney with David Perry as well and will try to get a report up of that soon...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk311/drknapp83/IMG_8030.jpg

nvr2L8
11-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Nicely done, David. And good to have had you back fishing in God's mountains.

NDuncan
11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the great report! And for coming back to the smokies to prove once again that if we are complaining that the fishing isn't good enough, then it's just because we aren't doing it right! :biggrin:

Glad you had a good trip!

BlueRaiderFan
11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
David,

You always put up the goods. Your bad days are my good days. I've scouted for browns the last few times I've been and rarely see any. You got skills.

Dwayne

David Knapp
11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
David,

You always put up the goods. Your bad days are my good days. I've scouted for browns the last few times I've been and rarely see any. You got skills.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I've been lucky to be up there a bunch and located enough that I now have an idea where to look. As you locate more and more, it will make it a lot easier in the future...keep at it and the fish will come! :smile:

David Knapp
11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Nicely done, David. And good to have had you back fishing in God's mountains.

Thanks Charlie! Wish I could have stayed a bit longer...

duckypaddler
11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
You still manage to show up most of the rest of us:smile:

Did you take a water temp reading that day?

Thanks again and keep em coming whether here or in Co

David Knapp
11-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the great report! And for coming back to the smokies to prove once again that if we are complaining that the fishing isn't good enough, then it's just because we aren't doing it right! :biggrin:

Glad you had a good trip!

Thanks! The fishing was excellent so I expect to see a lot more reports from you people now that I know what you could be catching!!! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

David Knapp
11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
You still manage to show up most of the rest of us:smile:

Did you take a water temp reading that day?

Thanks again and keep em coming whether here or in Co

I didn't get a water temperature although based on my highly scientific method of dipping my hands in the water, I would say it was in the high 40s... :biggrin:

flyman
12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Glad I just stayed home, fish would have all been sore lipped any way;)