PDA

View Full Version : Corps of Engineers Plan

Byron Begley
12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I talked to one of the top guys at TWRA today. He told me about this Corps of Engineers plan. I think he said it would place 20 miles of tailwaters as "Off Limits" to anglers in boats. I could be wrong about that. We talked about a lot of stuff. Anglers are upset and they should be. Here is an article in the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121129/SPORTS11/311290030/Restrictions-near-dams-concern-area-fishermen

David Knapp
12-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Byron, thanks for the heads up. These are the types of issues everyone needs to pay attention to and write congressmen and senators about. We will not lose our fishing access all at once but gradually a step at a time. I hope everyone takes the time to write to the appropriate people and let them know how you feel.

Corbo
12-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Expect all sorts of new limitations as outdoors folks and particularly sportsmen and women; OBAMA will be a lot more FLEXIBLE in his second term. Death by a thousand cuts.... my advice is invest in ammo while it is still available.... same with fish hooks.

silvercreek
12-05-2012, 10:32 AM
The Corps Commander is on Facebook and Twitter. Quick way to voice your opinion in addition to contacting your representatives.

Lumber_Jack
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM
The way that article reads its just Cumerland river dams and reservoirs. This makes it no less important but I hear lots of people confusing Corps dams and TVA dams. Definitely need to voice opinions to representatives. At first I assumed this was a Homland Security move but the article references safety. If personal safety is the reason, that's simply ludicrous.

flyred06
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM
our federal goverments are getting way to much power. they can hide anything under homeland security and pass stuff. with that being said, if it is for personal safety then that should be up to the individuals and as long as no violations are being done no questions should be ask. just my two cents

silvercreek
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Just saw a news story on this. Apparently it is a done deal. The Corps said it was complying with a federal regulation that had not been enforced previously. If that is the case, this may be coming to TVA dams as well. The Corps will be putting up barriers in the form of buoys strung on cables from the photos in the story. The news story showed photos of the now restricted areas, but I cannot find them elsewhere. The Nashville district office web page has not had a word about this other than posts opposing it. Appartently they just post the warm fuzzy stuff.

silvercreek
12-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Found it. Go to this link. At the top of the link are the various dams. Click on the name of the dam to see a map of the restricted area.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/news/Maps_of_boundaries.htm

77punk
12-23-2012, 12:25 PM
"Since 1970, 14 people have died as a result of accidents that occurred beneath the dams on the Cumberland River system and 868 have died on the lakes, according to the Corps."

1970 was 42 years ago, 14 people is an average of .333 deaths per year. not exactly an outstanding problem... as for the 868 dying on the lake, how many of those were alcohol related or idiots pulling a tyler bray. i also wonder if the number includes the entire lake, or just the area they plan to close. these numbers sound fishy to me

Lumber_Jack
12-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Found it. Go to this link. At the top of the link are the various dams. Click on the name of the dam to see a map of the restricted area.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/news/Maps_of_boundaries.htm

that link seems to be broken or is no longer posted info

silvercreek
12-24-2012, 07:50 PM
The Corps revamped its web site today. Try this and click on the name of the dam part way down on the left.
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/About/Organization/Operations/RestrictedAreasAroundDams.aspx

Corbo
12-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Our government loves to make new laws based on THE EXCEPTION in any statistical data.... crazy people will not obey gun laws BUT the Government will punish the law abiding. A few drunks or idiots drown in a river so let's close it... same difference.

BlueRaiderFan
12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Crazy people won't abide laws, however, making guns less easy to access (e.g, not having any at moms, dads, your house) will make it much more difficult to get one. Lanza had been turned down for a gun and just went to moms to pick one up. It wouldn't have been so easy if he had no family or friends with guns. Having said that, I support the second ammendment.

Lumber_Jack
01-21-2013, 11:00 PM
So according to the web link, the only restricted 720 bellow center hill dam. This doesn't even come to the concrete boat ramp. Seems it won't affect trout fishing at all. Of course I don't think it will keep anyone safe, but it isn't as restrictive as some speculated.

David Knapp
01-22-2013, 01:39 AM
So according to the web link, the only restricted 720 bellow center hill dam. This doesn't even come to the concrete boat ramp. Seems it won't affect trout fishing at all. Of course I don't think it will keep anyone safe, but it isn't as restrictive as some speculated.

It DOES affect trout fishing and some pretty good fishing if you ask me. There are some BIG fish (and not just trout) in the dam pool. While it seems to be a done deal, I still think everyone should contact your TN representatives and senators to voice your displeasure. Bombarding the Nashville Corps of Engineers office wouldn't hurt either. This is ridiculous...

Grumpy
01-22-2013, 09:08 AM
It DOES affect trout fishing and some pretty good fishing if you ask me. There are some BIG fish (and not just trout) in the dam pool. While it seems to be a done deal, I still think everyone should contact your TN representatives and senators to voice your displeasure. Bombarding the Nashville Corps of Engineers office wouldn't hurt either. This is ridiculous...

You're right David, this is just the 1st step against us, could the TVA Dams be next, who knows:confused:

Grumpy

g022271
01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
I agree with Grumpy, once they ge their foot in the door , they just want to move ahead with further restrictions. It's another part of how big government thinks they need to "take care " of us since we can't do it ourselves. Yeah, right!!

Grumpy
01-22-2013, 09:43 AM
They expect TWRA to patrol these areas, they're spread thin enough as it is:frown:

Grumpy

Lumber_Jack
01-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Sorry that I don't see this as them trying to take away fishing as much as someone trying to legislate safety that doesn't understand how real world works. I just don't see it as a deal breaker for fisherman. Yeah it's a restriction that sucks and makes no real impact on safety, but I also don't see it going away. Sure there are big fish up there, but there are big fish down under the interstate bridges too. If you want to call Nashvile and complain, go for it, I think the buffer is just silly. But my point is people thought the whole river was going to be shut down, and that's just not the case. And I understand the "one slice at a time" mentality, I just don't believe they get any benefit out of shutting down the fishing on the river, nor do I think that's their long term goal.

David Knapp
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry that I don't see this as them trying to take away fishing as much as someone trying to legislate safety that doesn't understand how real world works. I just don't see it as a deal breaker for fisherman. Yeah it's a restriction that sucks and makes no real impact on safety, but I also don't see it going away. Sure there are big fish up there, but there are big fish down under the interstate bridges too. If you want to call Nashvile and complain, go for it, I think the buffer is just silly. But my point is people thought the whole river was going to be shut down, and that's just not the case. And I understand the "one slice at a time" mentality, I just don't believe they get any benefit out of shutting down the fishing on the river, nor do I think that's their long term goal.

I agree there are big fish elsewhere, and now instead of sticking to the dam pool, all those boats that are normally there will be fishing some of the other spots that we usually find empty. Oh well...

Wilson10
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
How many accidents have happened below center hill dam?

Lumber_Jack
01-24-2013, 08:25 PM
How many accidents have happened below center hill dam?

The original article had some numbers but that is no longer posted. It was ridiculously small, like 30 accidents over 25 years. and they didn't list which dams had accidents, it was just over all Corps dams.

No where near enough to justify any regulations. But as I understand it, this is a federal reg that was passed a while ago and the Corps is just now enforcing it. Thats why I dont think there is much we can do to stop it. To those that matter, its water under the bridge.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this same thing at TVA dams.

silvercreek
01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
To the best of my shaky memory, two were drown in 2011 and two nearly lost their lives in 2012 below Center Hill dam when the turbulent water literally ripped the transom off the boat. They were saved by a fisherman who risked his life to save them. I really haven't paid much attention to the death rate before 2011. Ain't no fish worth dying for. Shame they are running everyone out of the area during periods of no generation as I understand the rules.

Grumpy
01-25-2013, 12:13 AM
To the best of my memory, since the 70's, there had been 14 deaths below the dams & nearly 900 above them.
Now, can you tell me where the problem really is? Evidently, i'm not smart enough to figure it out:redface:

JoeFred
01-25-2013, 12:30 AM
One factor in the disparity in the data just might be that it is less likely that beer coolers with be lost overboard from vessels on the calmer waters of the impoundments... a phenomena which, it should be said, does not equally apply to the passengers of said vessels.

Wilson10
01-25-2013, 12:34 AM
I didn't figure it was a large number of accidents/deaths. This is just another example of the endless over regulation in our society these days.

Grannyknot
05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Nice to see that our voices are being heard.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/may/01/twra-wont-enforce-ban-on-fishing-near-dams/

Wilson10
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I saw that today also. Great news

Trip
05-03-2013, 11:26 PM
This has little chance of ever spreading to TVA dams, we got rid of our cops to budget cuts and have hardly any ability to enforce anything without local support.

Some of the boaters have themselves to blame for the corps pushing this though, see it all the time at TVA dams with dumb boaters.

I could eventually see it becoming an issue with nerc requirements though. Securing our generation along with protecting the flood control of the valley has become a high priority since 9/11.

flyman01
05-13-2013, 01:30 PM
This is a good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfRJH5KwNk&feature=youtu.be

duckypaddler
05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
This is a good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfRJH5KwNk&feature=youtu.be

Nice video for sure:smile:

Although it's a bit hypocritical of him to be on the public side when it's the Core protecting their liability, yet to be against the backcountry camper when they get near his backyard:rolleyes:

I love the fact TWRA said they wouldn't enforce it as it is a stupid regulation

NDuncan
05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Although it's a bit hypocritical of him to be on the public side when it's the Core protecting their liability, yet to be against the backcountry camper when they get near his backyard:rolleyes:

Repeated for emphasis...exactly right, DP.

silvercreek
05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Saw on the news the other night that the Corps has started putting buoys out below the dams.